Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
If he goes, I will miss him. I was pulling for him. He was our first truly high end pick in forever.

He's disappointed individually, but you will never convince me he wasn't harmed by the organization in some capacity.

Better luck in your next stop if you are moved, kid.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I believe there were 3 times in 2-3 seasons where he started to heat up and immediately got injured. That accounts for both the playing better than the haters, worse than the people that blame coaches say. The second group is probably focused on those spurts of good play more than the haters who probably consider them statistically insignificant. There's probably someone here who knows how to calculate the p-value impact of his "good" games vs his norm.
I view KK as a puzzle and part of the strange puzzle last season was he actually played better after his injury. Maybe the time off help him focus? I really wanted KK to have a great playoff to erase the strange regular season but......

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Has anyone thought he requested a trade, but signed anyway to get moved quicker?
Of course. BUT, if he absolutely wanted out, then he would not have signed before he was traded. Because I doubt Drury will just trade him to get rid of him, if there is not a trade out there that he likes. I think both parties are fine with looking for a new spot for Kakko, but both parties are also content with the idea of him staying.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
His best play of last season came with Cuylle on the left and brod in the middle.
That wasn’t a coincidence. Kakko and Cuylle were young, but both were big bodies the played along the boards well. Cuylle was always going to the net. Usually, passes never got to him…..
Brod added his water bug speed which was a compliment to those 2, but the biggest thing brod would shoot everything, no matter what or where on the ice… for a guy that doesn’t really generate any offense or get any separation for himself, he needs a player like that on his line to succeed. Plus he has to go in the middle of the ice and in front of the goalie more, not just stay along the boards or behind the net waiting on the Cycle.
Chytil much like brod, likes to shoot… Kakko also had past success with him. I don’t see him coming out as any kind of offensive force to start next season……

Like others have said, I would love Kakko to flourish here as well. He just doesn’t have the attitude or carry himself as a confident scorer in his 5th season would.
I don’t think he’s got that chip on his shoulder to make him pissed off enough to correct it either.
The air around him and NYR is different now. He’s been scratched in the postseason for the 2nd time by a 2nd coach. Something is rotten in Denmark when that happens….. another non-coincidence.
I’m pretty sure Kakko is demoralized from that. He likely also feels he’s not going to get a chance to go back in the top 6 and play more minutes.
I’d wager Drury/kakko/and Kakko s agent would all prefer a change of scenery at this point in time.
Some of the problem with Kakko was that he was mishandled for sure, starting with that dumbass Quinn, but to me he also feels the pressure of being a top 2 pick and not delivering to the organization/fans. And it’s not something he’s got the moxy/brashness/cocky attitude to correct.. at least not here and not now… the air is diff around him now, and he likely feels cemented in a role with no way out and no opportunity to go fwd and that can be hell on an already fragile/beat up ego…
He’s way better off with a fresh start on a new team and try to leave all the old expectations behind him.
Hes still a solid NHL player, he’ll have a long career and could eventually develop into more down the line, but I think the opportunity to do that here is gone tbh. Chytils is quickly approaching as well.
I do think he’ll be traded before the season, I just hope whatever we get back for him pays off for us.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
If he goes, I will miss him. I was pulling for him. He was our first truly high end pick in forever.

He's disappointed individually, but you will never convince me he wasn't harmed by the organization in some capacity.

Better luck in your next stop if you are moved, kid.

He's a dud. He's someone who can thrive in the right system, a cycling and throw-pucks-on-net kind of thing. Good along the wall, but is that really driving play? Complementary guy.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nobody here (HF), nor Rangers mgmt. can convince me that breaking ties with KK and coupling him with our 29th (or whatever the hell it is) just to move up in a draft where........hell, I'll say it we "suck at" for a player that probably won't pan out anyway BECAUSE we don't know how to develop kids and just because our rival allowed Hughes to step right in on a horrific Devils team, it didn't mean we had to do the same. He was all of 18/19......a child, and IMHO he still is. He hasn't yet grown up, and would bet anything he misses home more than most (at least it looks that way).

I've said it before, the one "constant" that seemed to work for him....... was playing with Filip and Laffy. KIDS need their buddies every bit as much as they NEED mentors. Because of some circumstances eg: Filip and KK getting injured while Laffy was too busy laughing and playing like shit.......he lost a lot of confidence, while trying to figure out the whirlwind in which surrounded him. It seemingly was too much for him and now playing Monday Morning QB, it's easy to say that the Rangers should have left him with Hartford for a year, or at the least until he was tearing shit up and deemed "ready".

Again, I'd rather have a rock solid 3rd line defender with "some offense", than throwing shit at a wall and hoping it sticks some 3 years down the road. With our "average" defense, losing him will create a defensive HOLE which supposedly was one of the reasons as to WHY we acquired Wennberg, right?

I'd no sooner rather send him down for a few months and earn playing for the Rangers whilst hoping he grows up as his confidence rises. His worth might increase and other GM's might take notice, maybe even Drury.

Still rooting him on, maybe Laffy's light will come on for KK as well.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Nobody here (HF), nor Rangers mgmt. can convince me that breaking ties with KK and coupling him with our 29th (or whatever the hell it is) just to move up in a draft where........hell, I'll say it we "suck at" for a player that probably won't pan out anyway BECAUSE we don't know how to develop kids and just because our rival allowed Hughes to step right in on a horrific Devils team, it didn't mean we had to do the same. He was all of 18/19......a child, and IMHO he still is. He hasn't yet grown up, and would bet anything he misses home more than most (at least it looks that way).

I've said it before, the one "constant" that seemed to work for him....... was playing with Filip and Laffy. KIDS need their buddies every bit as much as they NEED mentors. Because of some circumstances eg: Filip and KK getting injured while Laffy was too busy laughing and playing like shit.......he lost a lot of confidence, while trying to figure out the whirlwind in which surrounded him. It seemingly was too much for him and now playing Monday Morning QB, it's easy to say that the Rangers should have left him with Hartford for a year, or at the least until he was tearing shit up and deemed "ready".

Again, I'd rather have a rock solid 3rd line defender with "some offense", than throwing shit at a wall and hoping it sticks some 3 years down the road. With our "average" defense, losing him will create a defensive HOLE which supposedly was one of the reasons as to WHY we acquired Wennberg, right?

I'd no sooner rather send him down for a few months and earn playing for the Rangers whilst hoping he grows up as his confidence rises. His worth might increase and other GM's might take notice, maybe even Drury.

Still rooting him on, maybe Laffy's light will come on for KK as well.
The whole point is he likely doesn’t want to be here in the present or long term at this point in it…
instead of just keeping him around, waiting til he can make it to UFA, they actually deal him now while he’s cost controlled for 2 more season and some team will have a chance on that untapped potential happening because of the change in environment….
You deal while he can still bring back something quality in a package.
Not only that, you have younger and cheaper players knocking on the door for that roster spot that could realistically provide the same or better offensively and shouldn’t be a detriment defensively.

The longer it drags on when the guy rather play somewhere else and the org can’t give prospects that are ready NHL time/opportunity, the worse it is for all parties involved……
Kind of similar to the Nils situation.

On a side note, whoever said Kakko + 30 to jets for McGroaty + lower pick was on to something.
NYR and Win have a history of dealing together ( Trouba/copp)

Kakko being on a team with lambert/heinola, guys he knows, played with before, speak his language, etc would be an ideal landing spot for him….
If you want him to ever possibly reach his max potential, that’s an environment where I can see him being way more comfortable with less pressure/expectations

Reactions: Daves a mess

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
@jay from jersey It took me about 7 minutes to form my last post, so now after reading yours, we said much of the same. He IS going to have to "get it going" or he will surely "be going", even though I think his value is TOO LOW and would be better off keeping him. At least for the time being. A 1 year extension surely means; "hey kid, this is your last shot here".

Reactions: jay from jersey

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The whole point is he likely doesn’t want to be here in the present or long term at this point in it…
instead of just keeping him around, waiting til he can make it to UFA, they actually deal him now while he’s cost controlled for 2 more season and some team will have a chance on that untapped potential happening because of the change in environment….
You deal while he can still bring back something quality in a package.
Not only that, you have younger and cheaper players knocking on the door for that roster spot that could realistically provide the same or better offensively and shouldn’t be a detriment defensively.

The longer it drags on when the guy rather play somewhere else and the org can’t give prospects that are ready NHL time/opportunity, the worse it is for all parties involved……
Kind of similar to the Nils situation.

On a side note, whoever said Kakko + 30 to jets for McGroaty + lower pick was on to something.
NYR and Win have a history of dealing together ( Trouba/copp)

Kakko being on a team with lambert/heinola, guys he knows, played with before, speak his language, etc would be an ideal landing spot for him….
If you want him to ever possibly reach his max potential, that’s an environment where I can see him being way more comfortable with less pressure/expectations
Your points are valid, not saying they're not. Just kind of think that KK loves his teammates (that's all he knows) and for a still young kid to up and move on from Filip and others sends him to "once again" unchartered territory (even if he knows a few). I don't believe he "wants to" leave. WHY? Because he took much responsibility with coach, as coach did the same. Surely, it's up to KK and maybe one more off season where if he improves his skating, could open up things for him. Here's hoping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad