Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Asking Kakko to even be on the second line is already a big responsibility. He's a kid.

2C is an issue, but the expectations for Kakko should really be tempered. That's great that he has experience playing in a men's league but the NHL is a completely different animal. This season is going to be a learning process.
Ehhh I disagree. Being a kid is a problem when it comes to being a professional and dealing with adversity. He played in a Mens League but he also dominated against the worlds best in international tournaments.

I dont understand the logic? Kakko has more pressure/responsibility with being the driver/main focus on the 2nd line; Kakko playing with Panarin and Zibs would be putting him in a better situation to succeed in every aspect. IMO Buch also played his best when he was with Lemieux and Lias, where he was 100% engaged.. Hitting, scrapping, fighting and scoring.

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Kreider Strome Chytil/Kravtsov
Lemiuex Lias Buch
Names Howden Fast

That's whatd I like to see eventually.

That's probably the most talented top line the NYR have ever put together; as far as I can remember.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Ehhh I disagree. Being a kid is a problem when it comes to being a professional and dealing with adversity. He played in a Mens League but he also dominated against the worlds best in international tournaments.

I dont understand the logic? Kakko has more pressure/responsibility with being the driver/main focus on the 2nd line; Kakko playing with Panarin and Zibs would be putting him in a better situation to succeed in every aspect. IMO Buch also played his best when he was with Lemieux and Lias, where he was 100% engaged.. Hitting, scrapping, fighting and scoring.

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Lemiuex Lias Buch
Names Howden Fast

That's probably the most talented top line the NYR have ever put together; as far as I can remember.

I kind of agree. Plenty of 1/2 overall immediately can jump into a top six role and letting Kaako play with talent is much better for him. I don’t see a fit with Strome and Kreider, and frankly don’t expect Strome to be that good this year.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Lemiuex Lias Buch
Names Howden Fast

Really like those lines. Good stuff!

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Highly touted 2OA forward with less than 0.5PPG is a heavy disappointment. I was hoping for 60 points but think 50 is more realistic.
Eichel, Laine, and Landeskog are the only 2OA’s to score over .5PPG as 18 year olds in the past 10 years. Svechnikov probably could’ve too, but Carolina kept him in a limited role for most of the year

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Lemiuex Lias Buch
Names Howden Fast

My points were really about 1) not playing him at center, and 2) keeping expectations low (which there is no harm in). It's not like the less hype there is the less points he'll score lol.

I think the more important matter right now is getting him on the #1 PP unit.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I mean yea...that’s the expectation for him. He should absolutely be compared to those players.
Barkov, who I think was a better prospect, scored like 24 in 50 something games, then like 36 in 71. And Seguin had like 20 something in 70 something games. I expect Kakko to be around 40ish points, and I won’t be disappointed about. If he’s going to put up 50+ like Eichel, Laine, and Landeskog, he’s probably going to need to be put on the first powerplay unit or get a real center on his line

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Barkov, who I think was a better prospect, scored like 24 in 50 something games, then like 36 in 71. And Seguin had like 20 something in 70 something games. I expect Kakko to be around 40ish points, and I won’t be disappointed about. If he’s going to put up 50+ like Eichel, Laine, and Landeskog, he’s probably going to need to be put on the first powerplay unit or get a real center on his line
If I could choose between 40-45 points and the mystery box I'm taking the 40-45.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He out produced Laine in the Finnish league. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable expectation to put on Kakko. .5 ppg over 82 would be in that 40ish range. 50 would be great for him

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Eichel, Laine, and Landeskog are the only 2OA’s to score over .5PPG as 18 year olds in the past 10 years. Svechnikov probably could’ve too, but Carolina kept him in a limited role for most of the year
Sincere question: does being 18 years old matter that much when the player in question has been successfully competing against men for some time? It’s not like he’s going from juniors to the big leagues overnight.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
If I could choose between 40-45 points and the mystery box I'm taking the 40-45.
40-45 points is 40-45 points, but a mystery box could be anything! It could even be 40-45 points! You know how badly we’ve wanted a rookie who can score those!

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Sincere question: does being 18 years old matter that much when the player in question has been successfully competing against men for some time? It’s not like he’s going from juniors to the big leagues overnight.
Well, yes because the only one who played against men and scored that much was Laine, who did score less than Kakko in Liiga, but Barkov scored more in Liiga than Kakko and scored 24 points in 54 games in his 18 year old season. And while playing against men in a professional league is all well and good, Liiga isn't the NHL in a lot of ways

E: the larger point I'm trying to make here is you can ask for the world from Kakko if you want, but he's not a lesser player if you don't end up getting what you asked for

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Vegas set the line for Kakko at 55.5 points (Hughes was at 65.5 points for comparison). I would be thrilled with that sort of production in his first year. 40-45 points would be satisfactory but its not exactly setting the bar high.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
They should at least give him a better chance to succeed. Playing with Strome is not going to do that in the slightest

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
I would never compare Kakko to Laine. There is huge difference, Kakko can drive his own line in future, Laine will not. And that is the most important thing

I haven't seen a Finnish player like him when speaking about playing style. Barkov comes close but Kakko is stronger and better offensively. I get very strong Forsberg vibes from Kakko.

Without major injuries he will be such a beast in this league.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

Barkov was a bit different tho, he's said as much that he focused purely on defense in his first years. Scoring is up tho from those days, even other finnish NHL players predicted Kakko to score around 55-60 points, including Barkov himself. Goes in line with the betting odds I guess, he's gonna need 1st PP time for that to happen tho I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad