Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don't see the Rangers signing a guy and then trading him. If the Rangers were going to trade him, they would have traded his rights before the QO deadline. It doesn't matter that they could move up on draft night. The Rangers have always done business by the unwritten rules.

They were absolutely in the right to LTIR Trouba and bank the cap for the deadline because he was legit hurt, and still wouldn't do it.
Rangers are always living in the past

Reactions: CLW

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
guys, what is the deal with Gabe Perreault? Is he staying at BC for sure? He seems like a good fit for the Kreider-Zibanejad line. I believe RW is his natural position, though I could be wrong.

I think Drury wants to stick it out with Kakko, but I doubt he starts on the Kreider-Zibanejad line. Chytil and Kakko have good chemistry, so maybe that is their best course of action.

I come in peace. Just curious about Perreault. Thanks in advance.
Do you post on football’s future? Jet fan right?

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
I don't see the Rangers signing a guy and then trading him. If the Rangers were going to trade him, they would have traded his rights before the QO deadline. It doesn't matter that they could move up on draft night. The Rangers have always done business by the unwritten rules.

They were absolutely in the right to LTIR Trouba and bank the cap for the deadline because he was legit hurt, and still wouldn't do it.
The maven basically called Drury dumb

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He has a year of experience on Laf. He’s still the same player.
He actually regressed instead of continuing to take steps forward.

I’d agree that both parties will be content if Kakko’s with the team at the start of the season but IMO it’s MLTN (>50%) that he’s gone by then.

Reactions: gabevh3

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They should trade him at the draft. Not trade him when his trade value gets worse as the season goes on.
More likely his value will go up than go down this season.

And right now it's an all time low so why would we want to trade him for peanuts? If he gets worse you are still getting peanuts so just hold him.

He actually regressed instead of continuing to take steps forward.

I’d agree that both parties will be content if Kakko’s with the team at the start of the season but IMO it’s MLTN (>50%) that he’s gone by then.

He sustained a pretty bad injury so lets see him again fully healthy for a full season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How much of a leap do you expect him to make when his ceiling on this team is 12 minutes on the 3rd line and no special teams?
He could be a 20G/25A player next season, along with his extremely limited PP2 minutes, if he's with a healthy Chytil and a year older Cuyle on his ES line.

But yea, if hes with Brod and Goodrow half the year, then not much.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
More likely his value will go up than go down this season.

And right now it's an all time low so why would we want to trade him for peanuts? If he gets worse you are still getting peanuts so just hold him.
Unlike @ HFB players’ value doesn’t fluctuate week to week. His value is based on the cumulative score of many variables (his contract certainty is now one of these too) his last season’s performance is far from the main determining factor.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Look, you never know. I'm not saying Kakko was one of those guys that thought his shit didn't stink, but he was accountable at what happened this season.

We've heard him want an expanded role, but he might have finally realized what he has been doing doesn't make him worth that spot in the lineup.

Lafreniere was the same last year. I think he realized that he stagnated and needed something different. If Kakko attacks this summer, we could see a jump still.

I just hope it's all skating and shooting this summer. Work on your feet and work on your wrist shot. He's got the size and has underrated hands. He needs the rest of his game to catch up. Skating is #1 and shooting is 2nd.
If KK puts in the effort this summer he could get a nice contract in the future. If he has a repeat of 2023-24 then he may be moved. Not to be a bad guy but I hope the team lets him know they want to see a lot better version of KK in 2024-25. I was surprised the new contract was done so fast. Its a nice surprise.

Reactions: bhamill

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Unlike @ HFB players’ value doesn’t fluctuate week to week. His value is based on the cumulative score of many variables (his contract certainty is now one of these too) his last season’s performance is far from the main determining factor.
He’s still a RFA after next season. Value will still be the same then if he doesnt improve. Or will it go down from a 2nd to a 3rd? Peanuts.

Fact is a lot of people are going to be thrilled we didnt trade him at rock bottom if he improves next season. And if he doesnt, the value once agains doesnt change much from what it is now. So in conclusion, why trade him now?

Reactions: bhamill and mas0764

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How much of a leap do you expect him to make when his ceiling on this team is 12 minutes on the 3rd line and no special teams?
His minutes ceiling is determined by his play. If he plays outstanding our coach is not going to play him 12 minutes a game. Play great in the first period and your second period minutes will often go up. Play great in the first two periods and your your period minutes will be higher.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He sustained a pretty bad injury so lets see him again fully healthy for a full season.
I do not think an injured player should be judged by his play but ironically it could be argued KK played a little better after the 2023-24 injury and worse before the injury. His preinjury October and November were not overwhelming.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He’s still a RFA after next season. Value will still be the same then if he doesnt improve. Or will it go down from a 2nd to a 3rd? Peanuts.

Fact is a lot of people are going to be thrilled we didnt trade him at rock bottom if he improves next season. And if he doesnt, the value once agains doesnt change much from what it is now. So in conclusion, why trade him now?
Again, his value is not going to be significantly affected by last season performance. Drury is under no obligation to trade him if the offer doesn’t meet his expectations. I promise you whatever Kakko will go for if he’s traded in the offseason would be the same if he started the next season producing to get his “HFB value” up.

I do not think an injured player should be judged by his play but ironically it could be argued KK played a little better after the 2023-24 injury and worse before the injury. His preinjury October and November were not overwhelming.
Especially November even acknowledging that Bonino was his center.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Theres always excuses for Mika.

Sure, we need a top 6 RW since Kakko is about to leave the NHL, but the defense needs to be the priority. We're likely going to go with a rookie or a year prove it type of contract/player.

Kreider is streaky, but he seems to be able to score at ES with these supposedly bad wingers.
Feels like - five on five - Mika can only score on the rush. Kreider is not a good compliment in that regard. Defensively they’re great together but if we want to boost the offense those guys need to be broken up, I think. (I know I’m not the first guy to say this).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad