Confirmed with Link: Kaapo Kahkonen 1 x $1M Winnipeg

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Even then it doesn't add up.
Comrie did have 1 good season backing up Helle so maybe there is something there. But I think it is more likely that that season was just an outlier. OTOH Kahkonen has actually been good in a backup role, except on those really bad Sharks teams he played with. And even there he was better than Comrie has been in all but that 1 good season he had.

I understand that Kahkonen's W/L record is justifiable with the Sharks - including his .371 GAA to an extent - but his .892 SV% isn't. That's the bulk of his career, and that's him over the past 3 years.

He and Comrie's career SV%'s are both bad by 2024 standards.

Comrie's best season is an outlier, but it's with Jets (which should have some merit), sandwiched between playing with other teams. His most recent success was in this environment, and not that long ago either. Most importantly, the Jets backups have been very good/excellent over the past four seasons. They have a great idea in identifying who they need as their backup.

Both goalies careers are marginally different.

I hadn't realized that Kahkonen is the NHL's version of Steve Young when he was with the 49ers. I also wonder what we'd think of Kahkonen, if he were from North America.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Scheifele identified him as one of his best friends and the Scheifele, Morrissey, Lowry, Helly leadership group is pretty tight. I’m guessing this is a default between 2 relatively equal players to who is the best fit with the team.

Except they are not that nearly equal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Hellebuyck goes down, it doesn't really matter who's backup between Comrie and KK.

That's true. But if Helle does not go down it does matter. Their resumes make it very clear that 1 is better than the other. They kept the other.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I understand that Kahkonen's W/L record is justifiable with the Sharks - including his .371 GAA to an extent - but his .892 SV% isn't. That's the bulk of his career, and that's him over the past 3 years.

He and Comrie's career SV%'s are both bad by 2024 standards.

Comrie's best season is an outlier, but it's with Jets (which should have some merit), sandwiched between playing with other teams. His most recent success was in this environment, and not that long ago either. Most importantly, the Jets backups have been very good/excellent over the past four seasons. They have a great idea in identifying who they need as their backup.

Both goalies careers are marginally different.

I hadn't realized that Kahkonen is the NHL's version of Steve Young when he was with the 49ers. I also wonder what we'd think of Kahkonen, if he were from North America.

KK's career sv% is pretty bad, but it is quite a lot better than Comrie's, which is really effing bad despite being lifted by that 1 good season with the Jets.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
KK's career sv% is pretty bad, but it is quite a lot better than Comrie's, which is really effing bad despite being lifted by that 1 good season with the Jets.
Mortimer, it's .899 compared to .893. I don't think that qualifies as "a lot" better. With Comrie, the key part with that one season, is that it was with the Jets, it was his last stint with team, and it was only 3 years ago.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I'm not a goalie expert, but I feel like we made the wrong choice here.

Not that it matters a great deal, but I really do feel like we need a backup we can get 25 good games from. I liked Kahkonen's chances of doing that better than Comrie's.
I think Chevy delayed sending one to the minors as he knew both would likely get picked up

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think Chevy delayed sending one to the minors as he knew both would likely get picked up
they delayed because helle was dealing with a family matter, I think they would have rather tried to sneak a goalie down the last day you could before submitting the opening rosters

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Arniel's press scrum this morning revealed all. It was basically they kept Comrie because he's been here before and is familiar.

Skill wise we took a hit and I don't agree with it, but y'know, "loyalty" and "our guy" and all that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Arniel's press scrum this morning revealed all. It was basically they kept Comrie because he's been here before and is familiar.

Skill wise we took a hit and I don't agree with it, but y'know, "loyalty" and "our guy" and all that.
he also said the way comrie competes in practice...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mortimer, it's .899 compared to .893. I don't think that qualifies as "a lot" better. With Comrie, the key part with that one season, is that it was with the Jets, it was his last stint with team, and it was only 3 years ago.

I think that when the numbers get that low we sort of see them as all so bad that it doesn't matter but that .006 is the same .006 if it is from .915 to .921 - average to outstanding. Or .909 to .915 - well below avg to avg. Those avgs are out of date. Avg has been lower in more recent seasons, but the point is the same.

It having been with the Jets isn't very meaningful. I have no idea why you would credit that as a "key part". In fact it doesn't mean squat unless there is some synergy between Helle and his backups. There is a possibility of that existing. His backups have generally done well and have had good relationships with him and also with Flaherty. But if that is a real effect there is no reason why it wouldn't also apply to KK.

Nobody was taking Comrie.

Reactions: SUX2BU

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
they delayed because helle was dealing with a family matter, I think they would have rather tried to sneak a goalie down the last day you could before submitting the opening rosters

They could have waived Comrie and not sent him down. There would have been a risk of someone taking him, but that risk would have been minute.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's true. But if Helle does not go down it does matter. Their resumes make it very clear that 1 is better than the other. They kept the other.
We actually don't have a big enough sample of Comrie in the NHL to get a good grasp of what his true level is. KK we probably do. I think they're pretty close, statistically.

But just for fun, if the Jets' backup sees 600 shots this season (20 GP x 30 SA), the difference between an .893 and an .899 is 3 goals total.

You can argue that KK was just hurt by playing on crap teams, but Comrie's .920 season was the year that PoMo quit in the middle and the team was a defensive disaster (6th worst xGA in the league).

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I find it funny that the last time certain posters complained about the backup position is when we didn't play comrie the half game to maintain his rights... now they are complaining about comrie making the team...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We actually don't have a big enough sample of Comrie in the NHL to get a good grasp of what his true level is. KK we probably do. I think they're pretty close, statistically.

But just for fun, if the Jets' backup sees 600 shots this season (20 GP x 30 SA), the difference between an .893 and an .899 is 3 goals total.

You can argue that KK was just hurt by playing on crap teams, but Comrie's .920 season was the year that PoMo quit in the middle and the team was a defensive disaster (6th worst xGA in the league).

Doesn't matter now. Comrie it is. I hope he does well.

As for the sample size, KK has 139 gms, Comrie has 57. Comrie is a year older so has had an additional year to accumulate games and yet he has far fewer. I wonder why?

I will look for the Helle mentoring effect to drag Comrie up to a respectable level. But I expect Helle to be overworked again.

Reactions: Gm0ney

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Sounds like KK has a real shot at being the Avs' starter. Good for him. Even if he had been the backup here, Helly wouldn't have let him play more than 10-12 games. :sarcasm:

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I always thought KK had potential, was surprised when Minn let him go.
Hopefully Comrie can play like he did with Jets previously.

Most important now, will there be a tribute video when Colorado comes to Winnipeg Nov.7 ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad