Jvr $ (underated or overrated)

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
I'd give him 6.25mil/4years
Don't think I'd go any more then 4 years becomes too risky. Unless he wants to play here, he's gonna easily get a better offer / more term from another team

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
The guy drives me nuts. Great game one day then disappears for 5, yet he'll still pop in 25+ goals. His defensive game is putrid & although big he is very passive. The number of games he disappears for while looking to go to UFA doesn't give me much confidence of what he'll do when he's signed long term.

Trade him to a cup contender for as high picks as we can get & keep building through the youth.

Couldn't agree more.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
under 6 million or at 6 million at 5 years is my max. We wont' run into cap problems unless we start paying 3rd and 4th liners and bottom pairing defencemen more than they're worth.
I'd say JVR is in that lucic, ericsson, okposo caliber of players and all of them got that amount. You can rip on JVR defensive game but not everyone on a team is going to be a defensive star and we don't have anyone in the system that can replace him. You know we can be the NYI and let good players go, try to get a replacement and realize you should of kept the player.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The problem is his next contract will be peak dollars for prime and declining years. So even though say six million is very reasonable for JVRs production, it'll have to be a five to seven year deal, meaning likely half of that will be overpayment. For me the issue would be more about term than dollar value, but JVR shouldn't accept a 2-3 year deal at his age. It just becomes a deal where there's likely no deal that makes sense for both sides.

Where I differ from most is that I'm fine with losing him for nothing after next year. I think we can be competitive with Montreal to win the division next year, which means we're a potential final four team. At that point anything can happen, so I would be fine keeping him for a deep run. That said, if the right deal presents itself either this year or next, then we should take it.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
JVR is going to want what he is worth, which IMO is 6-7M per. Im fine with giving him that money on a 4 year deal, but he would be foolish to accept it. I just don't see a fit going forward strictly from a financial standpoint. I think in terms of a skill set fit its a no brainer, of course we could use JVR on our team going forward. He is going to want to cash in on all the work he has put in so far in his career and unfortunately i think its going to be with a different team.

I think he gets moved in the summer before the draft. We will be a team that is expected to compete for playoffs next season and trading off an asset like JVR at the TDL next season would not be an ideal scenario. Lou will look to resolve this situation before the season begins IMO.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think you have to be prudent. There are at least 5 players we have to pay more than JVR if all goes well. And you'd have to think that his best days are now, and will become behind him in a few years.

I would want JVR to take a market discount for the privilege of playing for the Leafs. Market discount, as in we would pay him fairly for the production he would give, but he would give up the premium of being a UFA.

$5.5 million x 5 years max.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I agree that these figures are pretty close. I'm looking for numbers that you would feel comfortable giving him.

Probably 5.5M x 5 Years max considering he's going to be 29.

JVR is never going to take it (rightly so) and should be traded for that reason.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If we had an average GM I would say $6M+ but Lou kept Kadri under $5M and Rielly under $6M, both on 6-year deals.

So I would think $5M - $5.5M.

I think JVR's camp would really argue the Leafs got very fair value out of him and he would be deserving of a raise to FMV.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
If we had an average GM I would say $6M+ but Lou kept Kadri under $5M and Rielly under $6M, both on 6-year deals.

So I would think $5M - $5.5M.

I think JVR's camp would really argue the Leafs got very fair value out of him and he would be deserving of a raise to FMV.

I"d argue both of them are paid what they're worth.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
He's getting 6m on a 7 year deal at the minimum in UFA. I'd be shocked if we got him resigned unless its for a 3-5 year deal.

Zero chance he gets under 6m. It's just not gonna happen. Look at the type of money people pay for 25 goal scorers every year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
5.5m X 5 years is probably the max we should give him and he'll get more on the market. I wouldn't be so hesitant about it if his defense game/work ethic on the other end wasn't so atrocious at times.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
He's getting 6m on a 7 year deal at the minimum in UFA. I'd be shocked if we got him resigned unless its for a 3-5 year deal.

Zero chance he gets under 6m. It's just not gonna happen. Look at the type of money people pay for 25 goal scorers every year.

he can look at the deals signed recently, and how it hasn't worked out for most of them. Unless he's looking forward to getting bought out later on.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
he can look at the deals signed recently, and how it hasn't worked out for most of them. Unless he's looking forward to getting bought out later on.

He's been underpaid for a while going through his prime years.

I doubt he cares and will want to get paid big for his last long-term contract. It's reasonable and most would do the same.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

I doubt he cares and will want to get paid big for his last long-term contract. It's reasonable and most would do the same.

yeah no doubt he's been underpaid. Then there's cases where the player likes his current situation and takes a bit less money to stay. I'm not expecting it, but I think JVR likes it here.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

If he's going to take a deal that has the potential of backfiring, he's better off doing it elsewhere where he won't be under the spotlight. A winning Toronto is the best place to take a discount, but the worst place to be overpaid.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
We have two potential Art Ross contenders to pay in the future. We can't afford to spend 6+ on a one dimensional winger. Sorry. Most I pay JVR is 5.5 and most term is 4 years.
If JVR takes 5.5 -5.8 only, his term will be 8 yrs.:laugh:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If he's going to take a deal that has the potential of backfiring, he's better off doing it elsewhere where he won't be under the spotlight. A winning Toronto is the best place to take a discount, but the worst place to be overpaid.

Absolutely.

He shouldn't sign a deal like that here nor should we offer it.

There are quieter places to join where they'll still make the playoffs and he won't get ripped in the media every five seconds.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

My hope is on the former. Management somehow convinces him of the Chicago Cubs type legacy they could achieve. As speculated, I believe that he does actually like it here's and may take some type of discount even if it is only in the $500k region.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
We can't lock ourselves into a long term contract of 6M+ a season to a JVR. Nice player, but with our young core he's expandable in a salary cap world. He's good enough that he could fetch a nice return in a trade, and I think thats our best option with him.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I'd be willing to give him a $6m per year contract for ~3 years. $6m is pushing it for me since we also have to be cognizant of the amount of players who will need contract extensions in the near future (considering the en masse rookies we are breaking in during this season).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No to resigning JVR. Look at how many pure scorers the Kings and the Hawks had for their Cup runs. You don't need four or five 70pt+ players who only do one thing really well. Its cost prohibitive in a cap world. When you already have a bunch of these guys in your organization you need to be very selective about who to lock up long term. He isn't Iggy or Doan or Backes or Kesler. What he brings to the club isn't much different than the other scoring forwards they have, and potentially he is only their #4 scorer next year.

I don't dislike at him all but the kind of deal he would be after for his last contract is a luxury for a club with a bunch of great young offensive guys and a relatively weak D corp. I don't see him as one of the top two or three catalysts on the team going forward, and for that reason I don't see any compelling reason to have him to age 35, especially when their best prospect in the system is also a scoring winger who doesn't play a particularly physical game.

If they had only two of Matthews/Marner/Nylander with a Kapi that played a different style of hockey I would argue to keep him long term because in todays NHL 60 points is top line production. But unless they have a secret plan to trade Nylander for a D man I don't see him as a fit long term anymore.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Who are these LWs that we have that can replace his 30 goals and net presence right now?

I'm not suggesting we have one that will do that. But kapanen and leipsic are NHL ready.

And they aren't going to be the only replacement I have in mind for jvr, I'd also be asking for a top 4 RD.

Combined.. should make our team better then now. If not today, then 3 years from now when those 2 players in place of jvr start to peak and jvr is declining.. and we're going for a cup.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No to resigning JVR. Look at how many pure scorers the Kings and the Hawks had for their Cup runs. You don't need four or five 70pt+ players who only do one thing really well. Its cost prohibitive in a cap world. When you already have a bunch of these guys in your organization you need to be very selective about who to lock up long term. He isn't Iggy or Doan or Backes or Kesler. What he brings to the club isn't much different than the other scoring forwards they have, and potentially he is only their #4 scorer next year.

I don't dislike at him all but the kind of deal he would be after for his last contract is a luxury for a club with a bunch of great young offensive guys and a relatively weak D corp. I don't see him as one of the top two or three catalysts on the team going forward, and for that reason I don't see any compelling reason to have him to age 35, especially when their best prospect in the system is also a scoring winger who doesn't play a particularly physical game.

If they had only two of Matthews/Marner/Nylander with a Kapi that played a different style of hockey I would argue to keep him long term because in todays NHL 60 points is top line production. But unless they have a secret plan to trade Nylander for a D man I don't see him as a fit long term anymore.

Check out his points 60. He is 13th on the chart. Just above McDavid. https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-points-per-60-min-leaders/2016/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad