Jvr $ (underated or overrated)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
He's gonna want a long term contract and I just don't think the Leafs should be the team to give it to him

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
All depends what Lou and company think his role is in our future they have numbers assigned on these guys as to where they're going to allocate money. JVR at 5.5-6 million over 5 years makes some sense as we have a ton of RFA years with the lesser pieces. I think they'll go a little slower with Nylanders contracts then Matthews and Marner who they'll lock up. If he wants to get paid he could probably get 6.5-7 UFA. I like the idea of trading him at the draft or dead line if they don't see him in the future. If we're a playoff team they made be inclined to keep him

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Consistent effort, poise, two-way play.

This.

Lucic got 6m for 7, Eriksson got 6m for 6, Ladd got 5.5m for 7.

You have to think those are the closest comparable, and they all got tons of term.

There will be a team that pays him 6m+ for 7 years and that is too much for the Leafs IMO. So you have to trade him for value before he walks.

On the off chance he takes a "hometown discount" something like 5.5 for 5 or 6 for 5 then you think about signing him. But 6 or 6.5m for 7 years is too much.

That's giving up probably $7 million after tax . Pretty tough sell for anybody.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
JVR is not part of this team long term.

1.) He is too old for this team long term;
2.) As many have said he will be looking for a big pay day and a long term deal, we won't have the cap space with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Zaitsev likely getting locked up long term;
3.) You don't spend the kind of money JVR will be expecting on complimentry players, if the Burke and Nonis era taught us anything its this. Also look at the Blackhawks and how they let pieces who are not essential get traded away out of necessity;

I have suggested a trade for Jenner from CLB with Carlsson as an add. While I think we are a good team on the rise but not ready for a real SC run. We need to be patient and continue to build this team.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Even if JVR was willing to take 7M x 4 years, he would be a fool to not at least test FA. He might end up a Leaf again, but there's no way he doesnt test FA first

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Even if JVR was willing to take 7M x 4 years, he would be a fool to not at least test FA. He might end up a Leaf again, but there's no way he doesnt test FA first

He won't get there as a Leaf. If they don't have him signed they'll move him by next deadline. Not worth letting him walk for nothing when we're rebuilding.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Losing jvr for nothing is fine IMO if the leafs are in the playoffs and are playing good hockey these next two years.

JVR's value is in his current rate of production vs his current contract. Far too great of an asset to let walk for nothing.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
JVR is not part of this team long term.

1.) He is too old for this team long term;
2.) As many have said he will be looking for a big pay day and a long term deal, we won't have the cap space with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Zaitsev likely getting locked up long term;
3.) You don't spend the kind of money JVR will be expecting on complimentry players, if the Burke and Nonis era taught us anything its this. Also look at the Blackhawks and how they let pieces who are not essential get traded away out of necessity;

I have suggested a trade for Jenner from CLB with Carlsson as an add. While I think we are a good team on the rise but not ready for a real SC run. We need to be patient and continue to build this team.

This team is ready to be wherever it manages to take itself.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
So, having said all that, assuming you move JvR at the draft, what do you target?

And let's assume the value's not there for a top 4 dman..

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Max I'd go is 5X5 if he wants a long term deal or 6X3 if he'll take more money for less term. I doubt either would be enough for him though. He'll probably end up being the next Ladd Lucic or Erikson when he hits free agency.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I'd give him 5.5 for 5 years.

Someone else will beat that money and that term. He's flipped this summer.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Even as a rental 1st line wingers have tons of value. Remember when Vanek was dealt from Buffalo to NYI a few years ago? Buffalo got Moulson, a 1st and a 2nd round pick. Not saying a roster player and picks is what we need, but it's better than having JVR walk for nothing or signing him to a horrible contract.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
I get it. He's pretty much a one dimensional player. I've never questioned his effort though. Scoring wingers disappear at times during the season. It's league wide. I think that having someone who has been there in pressure situations is valuable.

yeah when I read comments like lack of effort, I'm wondering wtf they're talking about. There's effort and then there's the effort of playing a two way game. Two different things there.

Mar 14, 2015
He will ask around 6+ which is fair, but I don't feel comfortable paying him that x 6+ years. (6 x 6 should be the lowest for him). I rather try to get a good return for him.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I really like JVR and want him to stay here, but I just don't reasonably see how they can sign him with the entry level deals expiring in the new few years. Brings us to, do you let him go or trade him? I can see them keeping him and losing him for nothing if that means he can contribute to the next two playoffs. If it happens that they're out of it by the TD this year, they should really try to move him.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The point of trading JVR is to trade him when we can replace him. So I would sign him with the intention of trading him at some point during his new deal.

It would have to be an attractive deal like his current contract but in today's cap world, not the one where he signed this six year deal.

If we can't get him to an attractive contract where others teams are enticed, we trade him at next year's deadline or let him walk as a Ufa after a playoff run(he would be like an internal trade deadline acquisition).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So, having said all that, assuming you move JvR at the draft, what do you target?

And let's assume the value's not there for a top 4 dman..

Then you sign him, because trading him forpicks and prospects, therefore creating a hole in your top 6 with no immediate replacement is stupid, like JFJ level stupid. Good teams don't do that.

Look at Chicago whenever they trade a guy they have someone to replace him.

Ladd was replaced by Saad, Saad was replaced by Panarin, Shaw was replaced by Hartman

we don't have that

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
The only way i would consider keeping JVR 5.5 AT 5 years . That's my top dollar i understand he is worth more but i'd be trying to sell him on we can win a cup thing if you stay . we are already pushing the envelope 2 season into rebuild . and we still got some nice prospect in the pipeline , That can potential fill his hole if he leaves . I was pro trading jvr last 2 years But i do like what he bring , He doesn't use his big body to be physical he uses it with his great hand eye coordination to screen goalies and play in low in front of the net . hes growing on me but i don't think we should sign him for for anymore then 5.8

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The only way i would consider keeping JVR 5.5 AT 5 years . That's my top dollar i understand he is worth more but i'd be trying to sell him on we can win a cup thing if you stay . we are already pushing the envelope 2 season into rebuild . and we still got some nice prospect in the pipeline , That can potential fill his hole if he leaves . I was pro trading jvr last 2 years But i do like what he bring , He doesn't use his big body to be physical he uses it with his great hand eye coordination to screen goalies and play in low in front of the net . hes growing on me but i don't think we should sign him for for anymore then 5.8

First you say your top dollar is 5.5, then 5.8 which is it?

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
JVR is a key component of Marner's line.

He's big, stands in front of the net and has great hands in close. He deserves his 6-7 mil for the next 4 years. When his contract is up, we then have to start paying the kids.

I see no reason to move him

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
JVR is a key component of Marner's line.

He's big, stands in front of the net and has great hands in close. He deserves his 6-7 mil for the next 4 years. When his contract is up, we then have to start paying the kids.

I see no reason to move him

Assuming of course he will be willing to sign a 4 year deal, can't imagine that is appealing to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad