Value of: Juuso Valimaki

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
His value is at an all time low, missed a ton of time due to injury, then when he was healthy there was COVID so he played in Europe, then he came back to Calgary and now fully healthy he plays 20% of Flames games instead of 90%.

He showed great potential years ago, but him not playing for essentially 3 years has ruined him. I don't get it at all.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Valimaki for JAD and Wagner.

JAD would be a better 3rd line center than Monahan, and give Calgary better upside long term. I think Valimaki for Anderson-Dolan is fair, Wagner I thik would fit in very well in Calgary's lineup. Speedy guy who likes to hit.
In Don Cherry voice, "Two local kids there".

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Valimaki for JAD and Wagner.

JAD would be a better 3rd line center than Monahan, and give Calgary better upside long term. I think Valimaki for Anderson-Dolan is fair, Wagner I thik would fit in very well in Calgary's lineup. Speedy guy who likes to hit.
In Don Cherry voice, "Two local kids there".
Okay I give up, who is JAD?
There are 2 Wagners but I'm assuming you are talking about L.A.?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
His value is at an all time low, missed a ton of time due to injury, then when he was healthy there was COVID so he played in Europe, then he came back to Calgary and now fully healthy he plays 20% of Flames games instead of 90%.

He showed great potential years ago, but him not playing for essentially 3 years has ruined him. I don't get it at all.
I don't think he is ruined, just had a bad stretch of luck. People were saying Kylington was a bust last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

It's wild, because they send him to Stockton and he's their all purpose #1D on a team that looks tremendous.

Like, not sure how he goes from this monster outside the NHL... to being like, Nikita Zadorov? We'd rather have him playing nightly.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
It's wild, because they send him to Stockton and he's their all purpose #1D on a team that looks tremendous.

Like, not sure how he goes from this monster outside the NHL... to being like, Nikita Zadorov? We'd rather have him playing nightly.

I think it's two fold. I think the first part is mental. He plays a specific way outside of the NHL, and then started playing a different style in the NHL recently which is a detriment.

I also wonder if he can handle the load easily in other leagues, but when he plays in the NHL, his knee flares up. (Can read Chychrun's interview about his own recovery for a similar injury)

How's his defensive play? Vancouver could use a 3rd LD; what does Calgary need?

He's well rounded. When drafted, our scouting team said they think he would end up developing into a player like Gio.

Anything that can be done around Zadina?

Extra info... Valimaki and Rassmussen are close. That relationship could help Valimaki settle in quicker if a trade between the two clubs were consummated.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellringer77

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Okay I give up, who is JAD?
There are 2 Wagners but I'm assuming you are talking about L.A.?

Jeret Anderson-Dolan. Calgary kid who is a legit center prospect. I think he has two moms which has nothing to do with his value, but just a neat story.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He'd certainly be of some interest to Vancouver i'd think. But i have no idea what the return would look like, and the in-division aspect probably scuttles any sort of deal before it even gets started anyway.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Talented young defenseman, but doesn't seem to be a fit with Darryl Sutter...

What could be his value? A young player in the same situation? A part of a package for a better player?

He's had a ton of bad injury luck that has slowed his development. Could maybe see him being a part of a package for a top 6 forward but otherwise don't have a ton of reason to move on from him.

Possibly a swap for another young player in a similar situation having a tough time getting out of the gates. Think they're best served to just hang on to him, still looks like a future top 4 D.
I seem to recall that Calgary fans wanted RHS forward prospects in some trade discussions on here. With that in mind, would something around Valimaki and Kaut be of interest, as a swap of young players struggling to break into their NHL teams?

Fwiw, Kaut has been the Eagles' best player in the AHL this year and has earned multiple call ups, but unfortunately his more cerebral and heavy game has seemingly not been a seamless fit in Bednar's extremely up-tempo system. Perhaps a change of scenery would do him good. Valimaki doesn't seem to be working out in Calgary either but might be able to find his game on a team like Colorado where he'd be at liberty to join the rush a lot.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I honestly expected him to be dealt for our forward add. They must be planning on him taking Z's spot next year. It's no secret I'm not high on Valimaki. He has all the tools, but I don't think he's good at reading plays and panics. He needs to go to a rebuilding team that can give him the 100 games it'll take for him to settle down. That's not Calgary.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I seem to recall that Calgary fans wanted RHS forward prospects in some trade discussions on here. With that in mind, would something around Valimaki and Kaut be of interest, as a swap of young players struggling to break into their NHL teams?

Fwiw, Kaut has been the Eagles' best player in the AHL this year and has earned multiple call ups, but unfortunately his more cerebral and heavy game has seemingly not been a seamless fit in Bednar's extremely up-tempo system. Perhaps a change of scenery would do him good. Valimaki doesn't seem to be working out in Calgary either but might be able to find his game on a team like Colorado where he'd be at liberty to join the rush a lot.

Ehh, I wouldn't be thrilled exactly but I could see something like that in the offseason. Don't think Juuso has been too happy with his development here and if he wants a change then that's likely around what Tre would be looking for. Kaut could work well with Sutter, big body puck protectors usually do. Liked his world junior tournaments. I've watched a couple Eagles games when they play the Heat and he did look good, liked Ranta a little more though.

Valimaki would indeed look good on the Avs' blue line, which is scary enough. His best quality is definitely his offense at this point in time. He is probably our #7 on the depth chart atm so I doubt anything happens in season.

Reactions: Richard88

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not available. They need him next year since they can’t afford to pay Zadorov and Gudbranson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad