LeBrun: Juuse Saros to sign 8 year extension worth 7.74 M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Then you ditch Saros when Askarov proves himself. Christ, it's not rocket surgery
I think the main problem here is that you assume Saros will be easy to move. I have no doubt he will still be a good goalie in his mid-30s, but he will likely have a NMC or NTC that will make the return very minimal and potentially more of a cap dump.

Even coming off of a mediocre season, his value was highest right now. Higher than Askarov's perhaps, for reasons you've stated. It's more just poor asset management which HFBoards hates.

While I completely get where you're coming from, I still think this more than likely leads to and Askarov trade, as he might even ask out, or his contract demands will be too high to make sense for the Preds. Like others have said, Trotz has already explored putting him on the table.

If you want to keep your young goalie, trade Saros at his peak value and acquire a vet like Gibson or someone to ease in Askarov and share the load until he takes over. Saves you cap space and gives you more flexibility while improving your team overall.

The Preds chose Saros. We will see if it is the right decision. I'm not so confident he can bounce back and put up top-5 numbers consistently. If his numbers drop more towards this year's level, this contract will look real bad real soon and now you're committed.

I don't think anyone is advocating throwing Askarov to the wolves, but now you've almost completely blocked his path.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Not sure how I feel about this but I’m not a Preds fan so I would defer to them. If they think it was the smart move…or maybe the only move…good on Nashville for going for it. That core…the meaningful part of that team…is surprisingly old really when you think about it. Not old as in past it, just old as in you need to kind of for for it in about the next 2-3 year window. Saros, FF9, Josi, ROR, Nyquist.

Then again they also have a pretty deep prospect pool and a gem of a goalie prospect. Are they going to try to thread the needle and do this “we are going for it but also building the future” thing or will we see them really be aggressive with dealing picks, prospects, maybe even some young players already on the team…and also go after headliner UFAs…to try and lift the aforementioned veteran core to the next level, to truly open a short window?
This preds fan thinks it’s a terrible move. This team has no direction at all. Drafting a goalie at 11 when you could have drafted Jarvis lundell or Mercer then signing your goalie for 8 years a few years later is bad asset management. This team is destined to be mediocre until the end of time. Refuse to rebuild and refuses to go after the big names and draft’s terribly. A perfect combination to stay mediocre

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville does not draft well. How many players played for the preds last year that were drafted by our gm? And how many of those players are stars for our the team? We haven’t had a 1st round pan out for us in it’s seems like forever.
Man the whiplash going on. Evangelista was literally fifth in rookie scoring this year, Parssinen and Novak had great rookie seasons a year ago. Just because we're waiving and benching our prospects doesn't mean we can't draft NHLers.

• Love
Reactions: Viqsi and andora

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think the main problem here is that you assume Saros will be easy to move. I have no doubt he will still be a good goalie in his mid-30s, but he will likely have a NMC or NTC that will make the return very minimal and potentially more of a cap dump.

Even coming off of a mediocre season, his value was highest right now. Higher than Askarov's perhaps, for reasons you've stated. It's more just poor asset management which HFBoards hates.

While I completely get where you're coming from, I still think this more than likely leads to and Askarov trade, as he might even ask out, or his contract demands will be too high to make sense for the Preds. Like others have said, Trotz has already explored putting him on the table.

If you want to keep your young goalie, trade Saros at his peak value and acquire a vet like Gibson or someone to ease in Askarov and share the load until he takes over. Saves you cap space and gives you more flexibility while improving your team overall.

The Preds chose Saros. We will see if it is the right decision. I'm not so confident he can bounce back and put up top-5 numbers consistently. If his numbers drop more towards this year's level, this contract will look real bad real soon and now you're committed.

I don't think anyone is advocating throwing Askarov to the wolves, but now you've almost completely blocked his path.
Teams get out of bad contracts all the time. And I don't think Saros' will be all that bad. It's still $3m less than what Bob signed for years ago, and his team just won a cup in year 4 (or was it 5?) of the contract.

I also don't see what either goalie gets in return right now. Saros' trade value isn't much more than a mid/late 1st. Is that worth moving a franchise goalie for? I'd say not, that doesn't move the needle when your other 3 best players are around age 30. Meanwhile Askarov might get a 1st right around where he was drafted at best. But if you wait until he's 25ish and actually proven something in the NHL, he could get a Schneider like return.

The worst case scenario is they end up like the Rangers did with Hank, and they have to pay to get rid of Saros because the next guy up is a stud. That's still a massive win for the team because they get to have continously good goaltending.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Man the whiplash going on. Evangelista was literally fifth in rookie scoring this year, Parssinen and Novak had great rookie seasons a year ago. Just because we're waiving and benching our prospects doesn't mean we can't draft NHLers.
Evangelista was good but parssinen was sent down and Novak was a 26 year old rookie who if isn’t scoring goals is next to worthless. On our roster last year we drafted 1 top 6 forward in Evangelista 1 center that should be played solely on the 3rd or 4th line sissons and Novak. Josi which is our only star drafted in years, fabbro who was constantly bench and carrier who we probably won’t sign. And saros. So 3 forwards and 3 defenseman were drafted by Nashville that played for us last year. And only 1 was a 1st rounder and he was constantly benched

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Teams get out of bad contracts all the time. And I don't think Saros' will be all that bad. It's still $3m less than what Bob signed for years ago, and his team just won a cup in year 4 (or was it 5?) of the contract.

I also don't see what either goalie gets in return right now. Saros' trade value isn't much more than a mid/late 1st. Is that worth moving a franchise goalie for? I'd say not, that doesn't move the needle when your other 3 best players are around age 30. Meanwhile Askarov might get a 1st right around where he was drafted at best. But if you wait until he's 25ish and actually proven something in the NHL, he could get a Schneider like return.

The worst case scenario is they end up like the Rangers did with Hank, and they have to pay to get rid of Saros because the next guy up is a stud. That's still a massive win for the team because they get to have continously good goaltending.
I guess it all depends what the market for Saros was like, and what the market for Askarov is like. Seemed like teams in need didn't love what Trotz was asking. Still, I think the playoffs this year gave a boost to the goaltending market, even if that hasn't been reflected yet in the deals we've seen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Great we just signed a goalie for 8 years who will be 30 when it starts. He starts slow, struggles if he has a break longer than a couple of days and has been nothing to write home about in the playoffs.

The only thing that could make this worse is if Trotz was stupid and gave him a NMC.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Alright Habs fans, let's do this!

Be prepared Preds supporters, there's a tsunami of low ball offers coming your way. 26th overall + Harris + Anderson. You can replace Anderson with Dvorak, but only if you add 2nd round pick. He's very good at faceoffs, which is very sought after asset in playoffs. Squint your eyes a little bit and he's like Barkov who is absolutely shit in everything else.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That's some horrific term. Saros has been a top goalie for years but after the season he had it's some pretty wild amount of money to throw at him. Certainly hope for the Preds' sake this was just some off year for him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

This AAV isn't even bad considering what other goalies signed for. Crazy amount of term but a $7.5 million AAV is nice.

The price for that cap hit is the term, that’s damm team friendly.

Can’t have everything with UFA’s but they’ll find a way to waste their most valuable trade asset by not trading Askarov

that’s a terrible contract if you ask me

So you must have hated Bob’s contract back in the day..

But somehow I get a feeling you’ll answer differently

A top 3/5 goalie in the game for 7.5/7.7 is damm cheap today, Bob signed a 10Mx7 contract when the cap was way lower

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And then be looking for a goalie while going through Askarov's growing pains?

Some people in this thread have absolutely 0 clue how to develop a goalie

& some hiw to build a contender
Nashville is Minnesota 2.0

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He had two great seasons in the AHL back to back? General consensus is he's the best goalie not in the NHL.

So not ready for the incoming onslaught of shitty Askari's proposals. Yes, we'd love to take your second rounders, busts and crap for our best prospect. :eyeroll:
The best goalie not in the NHL loses their starting job during the AHL playoffs lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad