LeBrun: Juuse Saros to sign 8 year extension worth 7.74 M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
This is starting to get redundant. Richter didn't "block" Lundquist. Markstrom didn't block Demko. There's no reason to continue this. Signing Saros was the right move. You don't trade a top 5 goalie for peanuts because you have a guy in the system who is slightly above average in the AHL. He was the 17th ranked goalie in the AHL this year. He's not a Demko who was ready. He might never be ready. We drafted Brent Krahn at 9OA. By your logic we should have traded Kipper because of it
Richter retired during Lundqvist's 3rd year. Markstrom was a FA once Demko took the reigns at 25.

Just bad examples that make no sense. Neither of those young goalies dealt with a guy being signed for another decade once you're about to break in.

You don't draft a guy with the 11th pick if you're never planning on giving him the reigns. He will demand a trade out.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Except all 4 prove you wrong because you said goalies get overcooked in the AHL yet they're the 4 most recent 1st round goalies besides Askarov and got a ton of games right away. You don't use that capital and just sit on it for a 6-7 years.
Because Knight and Samsonov worked out so well? At least try to keep up

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
People in here acting like Vokoun didn't usurp Dunham for the starter role on the Preds until his mid-twenties. Or like Rinne didn't usurp Ellis for the starting role until his mid-twenties. Or like Saros didn't usurp Rinne for the starting role until *his* mid-twenties.

The Preds have done this song and dance time and time again, and they're a team that has pretty consistently had solid goaltending. I would not be surprised at all if they platoon Saros and Askarov for a couple of years before deciding who stays and who goes.

It has nothing do with Saros as a a player and development of Askarov, it has to do with their roster having glaring holes and using Saros to fix that hole. It's pure asset management.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I do have faith in Askarov, but Nashville has one of the few elite goalies in the NHL and just extended him to a reasonable deal. That's fine too.

Unfortunately, Askarov might go for cheap, considering how little goalies seem to fetch on the market. But that's life.
Do you think it’s a foregone conclusion Askarov is traded?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It has nothing do with Saros as a a player and development of Askarov, it has to do with their roster having glaring holes and using Saros to fix that hole. It's pure asset management.
Look, I agree, they probably should've used Saros to fix some holes. Then we saw the Markström and Ullmark deals happen. So much for fixing the holes in Calgary and Boston huh?

Goalies just don't fetch that much.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Because Knight and Samsonov worked out so well? At least try to keep up

50% chance on Askarov on being ready for the show according to past 1st round goalie results, 0% chance that Gustav Nyquist scores 70+ points next year but hey Saros can play at a .906 again for them which is needed

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Look, I agree, they probably should've used Saros to fix some holes. Then we saw the Markström and Ullmark deals happen. So much for fixing the holes in Calgary and Boston huh?

Goalies just don't fetch that much.

One of those teams is blatantly tanking for futures and the other team didn't do a sign and trade to increase his value, of course the returns are gonna be shit. Are we assuming that Trotz does a shitty job that he doesn't have a sign and trade in place to improve Saros's value? If we do, then duh the return is gonna be bad. Sorry for me having faith in an executive doing his job properly lol

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
50% chance on Askarov on being ready for the show according to past 1st round goalie results, 0% chance that Gustav Nyquist scores 70+ points next year but hey Saros can play at a .906 again for them which is needed
Lmfao why the f*** do you keep bringing up Nyquist?

Let's sat Florida follows your strategy, and dumps Bobrovsky after signing Knight outta college. What happens then? Certainly not a Stanley Cup

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lmfao why the f*** do you keep bringing up Nyquist?

Let's sat Florida follows your strategy, and dumps Bobrovsky after signing Knight outta college. What happens then? Certainly not a Stanley Cup

Because you clearly think the rest of their roster is decent enough to keep Saros to compete for this extension to be worth it. Why else would you sign a 29 year old goalie coming off of his worst year? Maybe follow along a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Let's say Bedard was drafted by the Oilers. Should they have traded away McDavid during Bedards ELC?

Askarov is good, an could become the best goalie in the league. Saros is already a top-5 goalie in the league, who has played how many games?

Yeah
Doesn’t work with forwards or even dmen for that matter

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I guess in your scenario, you trade Saros? For peanuts? Look at what Markström and Ullmark just fetched.

Yes. There’s more to a trade than what’s going and what’s coming back. Ullmark (and presumably Saros) had less value than expected because of term. An acquiring team was on the hook for this kind of commitment and it’s not desirable.

I don’t feel strongly about this decision one way or the other. My only point that there was a different way to bridge to Askarov.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not sure how I feel about this but I’m not a Preds fan so I would defer to them. If they think it was the smart move…or maybe the only move…good on Nashville for going for it. That core…the meaningful part of that team…is surprisingly old really when you think about it. Not old as in past it, just old as in you need to kind of for for it in about the next 2-3 year window. Saros, FF9, Josi, ROR, Nyquist.

Then again they also have a pretty deep prospect pool and a gem of a goalie prospect. Are they going to try to thread the needle and do this “we are going for it but also building the future” thing or will we see them really be aggressive with dealing picks, prospects, maybe even some young players already on the team…and also go after headliner UFAs…to try and lift the aforementioned veteran core to the next level, to truly open a short window?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What is the goal for Nashville here. Bc I thought they were trying to retool with high picks eventually. This prevents them from ever drafting early.
We have a top 5-10 prospect pool and a core of Saros, Josi, Forsberg and ROR. We're not tanking, I'm sure we'll grab some more pieces as the off-season starts. Probably Pesce + Necas or something.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Not sure how I feel about this but I’m not a Preds fan so I would defer to them. If they think it was the smart move…or maybe the only move…good on Nashville for going for it. That core…the meaningful part of that team…is surprisingly old really when you think about it. Not old as in past it, just old as in you need to kind of for for it in about the next 2-3 year window. Saros, FF9, Josi, ROR, Nyquist.

Then again they also have a pretty deep prospect pool and a gem of a goalie prospect. Are they going to try to thread the needle and do this “we are going for it but also building the future” thing or will we see them really be aggressive with dealing picks, prospects, maybe even some young players already on the team…and also go after headliner UFAs…to try and lift the aforementioned veteran core to the next level, to truly open a short window?

Simple answer: Nashville is hoping for a "Dallas moment". Draft in high quantities in the first four rounds every year until a bunch of young talent trickles their way in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad