Rumor: Juuse Saros Signs 8 Year / $7.74 AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Saros struggled this year in the new system. I worry about that.

If we bring in some bigger defensemen, wouldn't it be nice to have a taller goalie to be able to see through that mess in front of him?

Trotz is not going to get what he wants. However, he can bring in some valuable pieces that will help this team grow in the right direction.
Can he? There is a goalie market of sorts, but anyone really willing to pay much for one of Saros' caliber? With 1 year remaining? A late 1st in '25 and a 3rd pairing d-man type of deal don't really move the needle for the roster.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Can he? There is a goalie market of sorts, but anyone really willing to pay much for one of Saros' caliber? With 1 year remaining? A late 1st in '25 and a 3rd pairing d-man type of deal don't really move the needle for the roster.
I think Saros at 50% retention brings in a bigger return than Markstrom at 30%, but how much bigger is anyone's guess at this point. Maybe Trotz can squeeze a little more out of someone by including Tomasino

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Francis said he was of the opinion Grubauer would take the next step and solidify things at the position, making them semi-competitive, until he could develop the rest of the team through the draft. Driedger was seen as a solid Lankinen-like backup.

Outside of the run in the playoffs a couple seasons back, Grubauer was consistently shaky, giving up soul crushing softies at the worst times. Then succumbing to injury. And Driedger barely played and had his own injury issues.

Fortunately, he also tapped Daccord in the expansion draft. He's developed nicely and is really good at moving the puck.
One thing I definitely find interesting is my perception that folks here generally value Saros quite highly in these contract discussions, where I don't so much, but then when it comes to evaluating his performances or playoffs then I tend to be defending his play more while it feels like others tend to criticize him more.

Anyway, I think Saros probably should have stayed as a tandem goalie too, he hasn't really been able to stay effective for whole seasons with the workload he has had. And certainly plenty of people have jumped on his inopportune softies as well. It kind of goes with the territory for goalies. After this past disappointing season, I just can't see Saros in that top tier of goalies anymore, and do see him closer to what Grubbauer was than where Hellebuyck and Sorokin are. (Albeit Sorokin also had a miserable season, but lucky for him he timed it better and got paid BEFORE it happened as opposed to seeking that money after!)

Anyway, we're just 10 days from finding out, and I do strongly suspect we're wasting our breath debating this, as the sides likely already have things worked out to mutual satisfaction. And I do want the Preds to keep Saros, where others want to trade him, so it's another interesting dichotomy there... I want to keep him, but don't think he should be valued as highly, others value him more highly but despite that want to trade him. Hmm. :huh::sarcasm:

Reactions: Kat Predator

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Id take it over giving Saros 8 years.

When Saros is on he is awesome to watch, problem is he has some warts that would keep me from doing it. Main ones are that he seems to always have issues after a layoff, whether that is a start to the season or just a break in the season, and the fact there are shots that get by him simply because he is smaller.

Long term my major issue is that he relies on speed an agility, and that generally doesn't bode well as guys get older.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
One thing I definitely find interesting is my perception that folks here generally value Saros quite highly in these contract discussions, where I don't so much, but then when it comes to evaluating his performances or playoffs then I tend to be defending his play more while it feels like others tend to criticize him more.

Anyway, I think Saros probably should have stayed as a tandem goalie too, he hasn't really been able to stay effective for whole seasons with the workload he has had. And certainly plenty of people have jumped on his inopportune softies as well. It kind of goes with the territory for goalies. After this past disappointing season, I just can't see Saros in that top tier of goalies anymore, and do see him closer to what Grubbauer was than where Hellebuyck and Sorokin are. (Albeit Sorokin also had a miserable season, but lucky for him he timed it better and got paid BEFORE it happened as opposed to seeking that money after!)

Anyway, we're just 10 days from finding out, and I do strongly suspect we're wasting our breath debating this, as the sides likely already have things worked out to mutual satisfaction. And I do want the Preds to keep Saros, where others want to trade him, so it's another interesting dichotomy there... I want to keep him, but don't think he should be valued as highly, others value him more highly but despite that want to trade him. Hmm. :huh::sarcasm:
Hellebuyck had a down year in 21-22 too. Most goalies have them every once in a while. Goalies aren’t typically wall to wall great throughout a season either. Hellebuyck will most likely win the Vezina this year but he had an rough start and an atrocious playoffs. Maybe that’s evidence goalies are too inconsistent to give top dollar to but I think it’s also evidence that Saros is up there with other top goalies when looking at the last several seasons as a whole.

For me personally I think Saros is a top five goalie and is totally deserving of a top tier contract and will get it from someone. If we were a true contender right now or we didn’t have Askarov waiting in the wings I’d sign that deal immediately. However, we’re not really a contender in the short term and we have a top goalie prospect who will be ready in the near future. Because of that I think it’s foolish to tie up that much cap space and limit the opportunities available to Askarov. And if we’re not going to re-sign Saros I’d rather move him and get something halfway decent in return than keep him for another year where we aren’t likely to be more than a bubble team. That does mean we need a stopgap goalie for another year or two while Askarov keeps developing and we do run the risk that Askarov busts but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This thread has been running since the beginning of the 2023-24 season. We're long past the "right now" that was last October .... we're past the TDL .... we're now within a week of the draft. 43 of the votes are overcome by time. Once again reality give HF what it wanted.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Would be interesting to see what a new poll would say...

Extend him
Trade now
Wait till deadline
Hold onto even if he walks
It would be interesting... except as I think this thread has illustrated, most of those options are conditional on unknowables. Like, I would "extend him" now... at 6x$6.67M with no NMC. Or I would "trade now" if he required a bigger contract AND there was a suitable trade offer on the table. Or I would "wait till deadline" if he wanted a bigger contract and there was no suitable trade offer on the table now. Or I could even "hold onto even if he walks" if there was never a suitable trade offer on the table after some of those other things. So I could pick any of those 4 options, depending.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It would be interesting... except as I think this thread has illustrated, most of those options are conditional on unknowables. Like, I would "extend him" now... at 6x$6.67M with no NMC. Or I would "trade now" if he required a bigger contract AND there was a suitable trade offer on the table. Or I would "wait till deadline" if he wanted a bigger contract and there was no suitable trade offer on the table now. Or I could even "hold onto even if he walks" if there was never a suitable trade offer on the table after some of those other things. So I could pick any of those 4 options, depending.
I get what you are saying. We will never be privy to the details on negotiations though so in my opinion the extend him option is just you have to be willing to accept whatever Trotz deams acceptable and trust his judgement.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
A better poll would be "what do you think will happen to Saros?"

Extend with team friendly deal
Extend with burdensome deal
Traded before the season
Moved in season/TDL
Walks as UFA

Responders can give their opinion of what they consider "team friendly" and "burdensome"

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

Traded before the season
Moved in season/TDL
Walks as UFA

Responders can give their opinion of what they consider "team friendly" and "burdensome"
Kind of feels like we're headed towards "extended with burdensome deal" to me but Trotz is still a bit of a wildcard so it's not easy to predict.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Traded before the season
Moved in season/TDL
Walks as UFA

Might even break down the "traded before the season" into 2 categories: 1) for a good return, 2) for a bad return - where again responders could opine about what they consider good and bad.

My vote is on "extend with team friendly deal", of course. :thumbu:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Im thinking he gets traded and we grab a stopgap along the way
I'm wondering what teams are even potentially in the market for a starting goalie now?

Ottawa? - say they offered #7OA + Korpisalo back as a Cap Dump... except... would Saros want to extend there, probably not, so why do they give up the pick for a 1-year rental?

LA? - Kuemper and a 1st? sucks for us?

Toronto? - well they offered their 1st for Markstrom supposedly... but aren't that desperate if they can go Woll/Brossoit... 1st and a meh prospect? sucks for us?

Edmonton? - 1 game away from winning the Cup with Skinner - don't see much incentive now

Washington? - heading towards a rebuild, what do they need a #1 goalie for?

Colorado? - Georgiev and a late 1st? meh?

Columbus? - Merzlikins and a 2025 1st? meh?

I can definitely see "stopgaps" being available - basically they are going to be goalies who suck and represent Cap dumps - but the main problem is in the meat of the return, which is likely only going to be late 1st / top-10-protected 2025 1st, right? It'd still be fine by me if Saros' contract demands are too high. But it's not actually going to help our team progress much, so I don't see much pointing in hoping for that outcome. It'll basically be a dark day for the franchise if that happens.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm wondering what teams are even potentially in the market for a starting goalie now?

Ottawa? - say they offered #7OA + Korpisalo back as a Cap Dump... except... would Saros want to extend there, probably not, so why do they give up the pick for a 1-year rental?

LA? - Kuemper and a 1st? sucks for us?

Toronto? - well they offered their 1st for Markstrom supposedly... but aren't that desperate if they can go Woll/Brossoit... 1st and a meh prospect? sucks for us?

Edmonton? - 1 game away from winning the Cup with Skinner - don't see much incentive now

Washington? - heading towards a rebuild, what do they need a #1 goalie for?

Colorado? - Georgiev and a late 1st? meh?

Columbus? - Merzlikins and a 2025 1st? meh?

I can definitely see "stopgaps" being available - basically they are going to be goalies who suck and represent Cap dumps - but the main problem is in the meat of the return, which is likely only going to be late 1st / top-10-protected 2025 1st, right? It'd still be fine by me if Saros' contract demands are too high. But it's not actually going to help our team progress much, so I don't see much pointing in hoping for that outcome. It'll basically be a dark day for the franchise if that happens.
I just dont want to give Saros anything near the Hellebuyck contract. 8x8 or 7x7 etc. Just too long and i dont see why he would back off of it. Why would a goalie take a shorter contract and expect to be able to make up that money getting another contract at 35 when we see how goalies dont tend to last beyond that? Wed have to give him a 5year 12 million AAV contract to guarantee him that kind of cash.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I just dont want to give Saros anything near the Hellebuyck contract. 8x8 or 7x7 etc. Just too long and i dont see why he would back off of it. Why would a goalie take a shorter contract and expect to be able to make up that money getting another contract at 35 when we see how goalies dont tend to last beyond that? Wed have to give him a 5year 12 million AAV contract to guarantee him that kind of cash.
I guess what I don't get is why you'd think any other team out there really wants to give him 8x8 either? :dunno:

NHL GMs really don't like small goalies. We have had the benefit of seeing firsthand how Saros makes up for it. So we're ok with that now (mostly). But I wouldn't assume that everybody else around the league would agree. There are probably many GMs who would consider him a total "non-starter" (pun intended) just because of his size.

I think if we're offering him $40M on an extension today, that's about as good as he'd get from anybody. There is no $64M contract out there for him to need to make up ground against. Especially if he has another mediocre season. There might not even be a $40M one out there in that case.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess what I don't get is why you'd think any other team out there really wants to give him 8x8 either? :dunno:

NHL GMs really don't like small goalies. We have had the benefit of seeing firsthand how Saros makes up for it. So we're ok with that now (mostly). But I wouldn't assume that everybody else around the league would agree. There are probably many GMs who would consider him a total "non-starter" (pun intended) just because of his size.

I think if we're offering him $40M on an extension today, that's about as good as he'd get from anybody. There is no $64M contract out there for him to need to make up ground against. Especially if he has another mediocre season. There might not even be a $40M one out there in that case.
I don't really see him getting 8 x8 from anyone, but I could definitely see an NHL GM crazy enough to give him 7 x 6.5. The problem for me isn't the 6.5 or even the 8, its number of years that I absolutely would refuse to sign on too.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

GMs give out all sorts of dumb contracts. Why would you be surprised by any contract handed out?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't really see him getting 8 x8 from anyone, but I could definitely see an NHL GM crazy enough to give him 7 x 6.5. The problem for me isn't the 6.5 or even the 8, its number of years that I absolutely would refuse to sign on too.
7x$6.5M is close enough to my 6x$6.67M mantra that I might go for it... but it wouldn't have any NTC in the last 4 years.

Of course, he could bet on himself, because if he does put up a Vezina-finalist caliber of season next year, then teams really will give him the 8x8+ type of contract. (Ok, limited to 7x8 as a UFA). That's a really high stakes bet. But it would take a huge season for him to get there. I just don't see Saros as the kind of guy ready to give up on things in Nashville on a bet like that. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
GMs give out all sorts of dumb contracts. Why would you be surprised by any contract handed out?
Let's see what this summer's frenzy brings. I'm occasionally surprised by dumb contracts, but I feel like I have been less and less surprised in recent years because contracts have been less dumb than in the glory days of FA Frenzy. Perhaps that was partly due to the flat Cap. Maybe it will explode into full craziness again this year with the sudden elevation in the Cap. I definitely reserve the right to be surprised. GMs on the whole aren't as dumb as they used to be IMHO. :dunno:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
And we tend to overlook the increased cap when we evaluate the deals. I know I have :laugh:

Crosby's $8.7M in 2013 was 14.50% of the cap
Panarin's ~$11.6M in 2019 was 14.29% of the cap
14.00% this upcoming season would be $12.32M

An $8M deal for next season is 9.09%
Last season it would have been 9.58%
22-23 it would have been 9.70%

And based on the projection or estimate or whatever it is capfriendly presents for 25-26 as $92M, when the extension for Saros would kick in it would be 8.70% of the cap.

Hellebuyck's $8.5M starting in 24-25 is 10.19% of the cap
Vasilievskiy's $9.5M starting in 20-21 was 11.66%
Sorokin's $8.25M starting in 24-25 is 9.88%

I could easily see someone offering Saros that around $8M / 8.7% of the cap, long term deal if they feel like they're a goalie short from being a true contender. We are not.

If we give him $8M for more than 5 years I really hope it doesn't include any trade clauses for any of the years past that to allow for at least some flexibility. Thought, I'd really love to see them manage to work something out where Saros remains with the team and they'd slowly transition from him to Askarov and have Saros retire as a Pred.

Would they settle for 8x5? $8M for five years is a lot of money. You don't need to move, familiar organization, state taxes etc. and then he could be extended on performance basis until retirement.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don’t know what kind of “hockey trade” we could make for Necas without involving Saros? We don’t really have any comparable players in their prime?

Saros has had some big games against Carolina so they probably appreciate his ability more than most. But unless Andersen’s health problems will keep him from playing again or they want to send Kochetkov back or something, I don’t see Carolina needing a goalie. Plus they are stingy with contracts. Tough to see a fit. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don’t know what kind of “hockey trade” we could make for Necas without involving Saros? We don’t really have any comparable players in their prime?

Saros has had some big games against Carolina so they probably appreciate his ability more than most. But unless Andersen’s health problems will keep him from playing again or they want to send Kochetkov back or something, I don’t see Carolina needing a goalie. Plus they are stingy with contracts. Tough to see a fit. :dunno:
Andersen is 34 and been up and down healthwise. He was mediocre last season but had 16 good games this season but injuries held him out alot. Then the playoff performance wasnt good.

I think theyd send him back in a trade deal or send him to LTIR if he doesnt look like he will be healthy enough to play. If he looks like he may be healthy, he would be a decent placeholder for this season with askarov as backup or even get a Brossoit type backup and expect askarov to come up whenever the inevitable injury happens to andersen. I do think their stinginess would probably have them not wanting to give saros what he wants

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Andersen is 34 and been up and down healthwise. He was mediocre last season but had 16 good games this season but injuries held him out alot. Then the playoff performance wasnt good.

I think theyd send him back in a trade deal or send him to LTIR if he doesnt look like he will be healthy enough to play. If he looks like he may be healthy, he would be a decent placeholder for this season with askarov as backup or even get a Brossoit type backup and expect askarov to come up whenever the inevitable injury happens to andersen. I do think their stinginess would probably have them not wanting to give saros what he wants
I am thinking it could only happen as a "hoodwink" trade if for some reason the Canes new braintrust is willing to bet on some handful of guys like Novak, Tomasino, Glass and Fabbro? Those guys don't fit for us, so are utterly expendable from our POV, but do have some prospect pedigree or performance numbers in Novak's case, on reasonable contracts. If Trotz could pull off that heist, it'd be great. I just can't see it. But we don't really have anybody else? :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I am thinking it could only happen as a "hoodwink" trade if for some reason the Canes new braintrust is willing to bet on some handful of guys like Novak, Tomasino, Glass and Fabbro? Those guys don't fit for us, so are utterly expendable from our POV, but do have some prospect pedigree or performance numbers in Novak's case, on reasonable contracts. If Trotz could pull off that heist, it'd be great. I just can't see it. But we don't really have anybody else? :dunno:
Im actually curious if Winnipeg views Novak as a legit 2C and would be interested in sending us Rutger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad