Value of: Justin Holl next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Don’t see him getting more than 2 million he was making this year. Shocking Dubas had given him a 10 team no trade list.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Talk about making a thread about such an insignificant player.

The only reason people are posting here is to say: "get my team off the list and keep him away please".

Reactions: Luc Labelle

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Anywhere but Toronto would be perfect. He’s abysmal. I’ve seen about 6 years too much from him. Zero offense, zero puck skills, zero hockey IQ, zero D awareness.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think he’d be fine as a bottom pairing guy but he was played too high in the lineup in Toronto. But given the dearth of D available he’ll likely be overpaid.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Wow, people are really undervaluing Holl. He's a big right-handed D.

Yeah, he's not that good but he'll get a lot of suitors and will easily secure a contract at around 2.5M per.

I see him as a guy who really needs a change after being under the microscope in Leafs land.

Reactions: Menzinger

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
3.5x 3 or 4 years

Rhd are always in demand
Whoever offers him that contract should be immediately fired and permanently banned from watching the NHL

Max he should get is 2x2, 1.5x2 is a little more realistic. He's a 6/7D that can PK and plays physical, makes too many bonehead plays though.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
3m per.... man i wish i could be as bad at my job as Justin Holl and get a 50% raise

Someone will pay it. And maybe he turns it around, but anything over 1.5 feels like a mistake

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
This is absurd.

Justin Holl is not comparable to Josh Manson.
Manson 2022-2023 is very bad with 2 time salary of Holl. Defensive structure of Toronto is very différent than the structure of Colorado. Holl with colorado can do a good job.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I get he is unpopular to a lot of people, but if folks think their team wouldn't sign him I think they should reconsider.

A right shot dman, he played 21:04, 20:12, and 20:14 ATOI a game the past 3 seasons so solidly a top 4 dman by that metric. He is a very strong penalty killer, and was played on the teams shutdown pairing those seasons. Despite the heavy defensive minutes and lack of PP time, he still managed to to produce roughly 20 points or more a season.

Given these criteria as well as the context of the RD market in free agency, I think he checks a lot of boxes for several teams as the best option for someone to compliment your defensive pairing and PK on the right side.

I think he has positioned himself for a raise and some term. Is it unreasonable to expect Holl to get 4-5 years of term with a 3-4M cap hit? I don't believe so. I think the following teams make some sense for that contract.

Ducks
Blue Jackets
Sharks
Senators
Pens (Holl was always a Dubas favorite)
Coyotes
Capitals
Blackhawks

Some teams have more cap than others, but I believe all of these teams would improve their bluelines with Holl. Thoughts on a potential landing spot and his value?
I think he would be a fit on the Oilers. 4 x 3m is where I would be. That being said I don't watch the leafs at all so I would go with a my knowledgable Oiler fan on the subject.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He’s Hal Gill but every 30 seconds he has a Vietnam flashback and loses all understanding of the play in front of him. If the puck isn’t in your end when that happens he’s not bad, takes away a lot of space through the neutral zone.

Reactions: Idionym

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
GMs place a huge value on minutes and role. Guy can play a lot of minutes and can PK. He'll get his money.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don’t want him at all but I do find it hilarious that Buffalo didn’t make your list of teams in desperate need of a rhd who you think is a top 4 who kills penalties and has a mountain of cap space.

Yeah. Buffalo actually feels like a pretty natural fit. He's at the very least, a "poor man's version" of exactly what they're looking for. If they don't manage to land a guy like Mayfield or make a trade somewhere for a guy, i could absolutely see them giving Holl a try for a few years. Worst case, they have to go find a different solution and push him down to the bottom-pairing depth role he should really be in...where he'd be just fine for them.

Play him in a bottom pairing role with some PK and he’s serviceable.

I think he’ll get just shy of $3M per somewhere. Maybe Pens, Dubas loved him.

I don't see any reason the Penguins would be in on him beyond a Dubas connection. They've got Letang/Petry there, and they've already got their "premium RH depth defenceman" in Rutta.

In fact...the Rutta contract is probably a half-decent baseline of what to expect for Holl. Minus a little bit because Holl doesn't have that Stanley Cup Pedigree and and padded out stats from minutes with Hedman/McDonagh/Sergachyov.

So basically...3 Years x $2.75M minus a bit = 3 Years x $2.25M. Probably.

Though we're in a league where a GM once paid Tucker Poolman 4 Years x $2.5M for absolutely no fathomable reason beyond being a fairly tall RHD that exists. Holl is at least one clear notch above that in performance and capability.

Gudbranson got 4x4 recently

Holl will get a solid payday, I'm sure

Holl doesn't have that top draft pick pedigree, or nearly the same "rawr tough" reputation though. So he's not going to touch that Gudbranson contract territory. But yeah...he's going to get a pretty solid multi-year paycheque nonetheless.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Holl doesn't have that top draft pick pedigree, or nearly the same "rawr tough" reputation though. So he's not going to touch that Gudbranson contract territory. But yeah...he's going to get a pretty solid multi-year paycheque nonetheless.
Agree with you on all of this, I think it will be something like 2x$2.25M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad