Value of: Justin Holl next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I get he is unpopular to a lot of people, but if folks think their team wouldn't sign him I think they should reconsider.

A right shot dman, he played 21:04, 20:12, and 20:14 ATOI a game the past 3 seasons so solidly a top 4 dman by that metric. He is a very strong penalty killer, and was played on the teams shutdown pairing those seasons. Despite the heavy defensive minutes and lack of PP time, he still managed to to produce roughly 20 points or more a season.

Given these criteria as well as the context of the RD market in free agency, I think he checks a lot of boxes for several teams as the best option for someone to compliment your defensive pairing and PK on the right side.

I think he has positioned himself for a raise and some term. Is it unreasonable to expect Holl to get 4-5 years of term with a 3-4M cap hit? I don't believe so. I think the following teams make some sense for that contract.

Ducks
Blue Jackets
Sharks
Senators
Pens (Holl was always a Dubas favorite)
Coyotes
Capitals
Blackhawks

Some teams have more cap than others, but I believe all of these teams would improve their bluelines with Holl. Thoughts on a potential landing spot and his value?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get he is unpopular to a lot of people, but if folks think their team wouldn't sign him I think they should reconsider.

A right shot dman, he played 21:04, 20:12, and 20:14 ATOI a game the past 3 seasons so solidly a top 4 dman by that metric. He is a very strong penalty killer, and was played on the teams shutdown pairing those seasons. Despite the heavy defensive minutes and lack of PP time, he still managed to to produce roughly 20 points or more a season.

Given these criteria as well as the context of the RD market in free agency, I think he checks a lot of boxes for several teams as the best option for someone to compliment your defensive pairing and PK on the right side.

I think he has positioned himself for a raise and some term. Is it unreasonable to expect Holl to get 4-5 years of term with a 3-4M cap hit? I don't believe so. I think the following teams make some sense for that contract.

Ducks
Blue Jackets
Sharks
Senators
Coyotes
Capitals
Blackhawks

Some teams have more cap than others, but I believe all of these teams would improve their bluelines with Holl. Thoughts on a potential landing spot and his value?
The Jackets have six RD, not counting Jiricek. Take us off that "make sense" list.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Jackets have six RD, not counting Jiricek. Take us off that "make sense" list.

I am aware of that but I think Holl fits a mold that you guys don't have.

But on reflection, Babcock HATED Holl and refused to play him so I agree CBJ is unlikely.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
He'd be a good bottom pairing guy. He will make mistakes like all bottom pairing defencemen. He got a bad reputation in Toronto because we overplayed him and so the weaknesses that are typical of bottom pairing defencemen became even more accentuated. Regardless, he's probably one of the better bottom pairing guys in the league, if that means anything. If he's in your top 4, you might be in trouble.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He'd be a good bottom pairing guy. He will make mistakes like all bottom pairing defencemen. He got a bad reputation in Toronto because we overplayed him and so the weaknesses that are typical of bottom pairing defencemen became even more accentuated. Regardless, he's probably one of the better bottom pairing guys in the league, if that means anything. If he's in your top 4, you might be in trouble.
Stop being reasonable! He's either a top pairing Dman, or one of the worst players in the league!

• Haha
Reactions: EK392000

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He's a 3rd pairing guy at the most. If anyone offers a long term contract, they'll probably regret it. A rebuilding team with lots of cap might be tempted to pay him $2m-$3m short term

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
$7M for 3 years.
He's decent, but easily replaceable
But, as always, it only takes 1 GM to overpay,
as w AA this week,
Severson today

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
1x2 million
Leafs fans hate him but someone will give him a shot

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's a genuinely tough one to even project. I could see it going in a lot of different directions. Part of it really depends on what Holl's priorities are. Does he just want to try to shoot for some long-term security? Maximize $$$? Does he want to go somewhere that he can play a depth role for a playoff team?

If i absolutely had to guess...i'd wager it'll be something similar to his last contract. 3 Years x $2M. But i wouldn't rule out some team getting wild if they're left without a chair when the music stops with other RHD options. I don't think he'll be most teams top priority...but if other preferred choices don't work out, he's a guy who has shown he can at least sorta play that #4/5RHD swing role, up to 20 minutes a night. There are only so many guys out there who can even stretch to that claim.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Ducks
Blue Jackets
Sharks
Senators
Coyotes
Capitals
Blackhawks

I don’t want him at all but I do find it hilarious that Buffalo didn’t make your list of teams in desperate need of a rhd who you think is a top 4 who kills penalties and has a mountain of cap space.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Are we talking about the guy that was on the ice for like 90percent of goals against in the playoffs?

Why would anyone pay 3m a year for a 7th

He's gonna come up cheap or end up in Arizona or Chicago for salary purposes

I think this is the most accurate and salient post to date.

He will be a guy who goes late because teams will be smart to stay away from him early. He will be a consolation prize who will be lucky to match his last contract.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Play him in a bottom pairing role with some PK and he’s serviceable.

I think he’ll get just shy of $3M per somewhere. Maybe Pens, Dubas loved him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad