Player Discussion Justin Barron

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
These are unrealistic timelines.. Reinbacher would require waivers in 3-4 years. It's a season for Mailloux, and likely a season and a half for Reinbacher because of the injury, otherwise he would have been up by the end of this year.
Gotta think we are looking for a better solution in the interim. I think a trigger will get pulled I just can't say when.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
These are unrealistic timelines.. Reinbacher would require waivers in 3-4 years. It's a season for Mailloux, and likely a season and a half for Reinbacher because of the injury, otherwise he would have been up by the end of this year.
That’s unfortunate. Do long-term injuries push waiver deadlines back? Seems these kids will be good but are no-where close.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I laughed like hell listening to On Jase I think it was.
We don't need Barron being an offensive player since we have Matheson and now Hutson...

Pushing for Mailloux who didn't exactly win defensive player of the year last year. :dunno:

Reactions: morhilane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We don't need Barron being an offensive player since we have Matheson and now Hutson...

Pushing for Mailloux who didn't exactly win defensive player of the year last year. :dunno:
Or this pre-season....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Well, I definitely think Barron has to be defensively stable. Maybe Matheson and Hutson have more leeway for a few minuses defensively for all they offense they can bring. But I don't think we need a high risk, high reward player, if that's what they meant. For me, if Barron can learn to hold it down defensively, any offense he brings is a bonus. Same for Mailloux, Reinbacher, Xhekaj, Struble, Engstrom, Bogdan, etc... Given we have Matheson and Hutson, I would definitely be most happy if this dcore established itself as able to hold it down defensively over seeing more offense.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gotta think we are looking for a better solution in the interim. I think a trigger will get pulled I just can't say when.

Rasmus Andersson is the target. Then explore trades for Matheson further down the line.

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Struble

That’s unfortunate. Do long-term injuries push waiver deadlines back? Seems these kids will be good but are no-where close.

It's all about the number of contract years, the only thing it could do is delay the waiver clock kicking in earlier due to number of games played before the expiry of their ELC.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Rasmus Andersson is the target. Then explore trades for Matheson further down the line.

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Struble

It's all about the number of contract years, the only thing it could do is delay the waiver clock kicking in earlier due to number of games played before the expiry of their ELC.
MSL and Hughes really like Matheson. It will be interesting to see if they do end up trading him. His play over the next two seasons will dictate a lot. No guarantee he can replicate the offensive production. Also no guarantee he can't tighten it up defensively. If he rises to another level defensively, he may not be moved. Similarly if he can keep this production up. It's just going to be really interesting to see how Hughtes handles the surplus of assets at LD, and still the dearth at RD (until we find out what Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron, and Bogdan are).

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
MSL and Hughes really like Matheson. It will be interesting to see if they do end up trading him. His play over the next two seasons will dictate a lot. No guarantee he can replicate the offensive production. Also no guarantee he can't tighten it up defensively. If he rises to another level defensively, he may not be moved. Similarly if he can keep this production up. It's just going to be really interesting to see how Hughtes handles the surplus of assets at LD, and still the dearth at RD (until we find out what Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron, and Bogdan are).

They can't keep Guhle on the right side forever and Hutson is going to be a fixture on the left side long term. Eventually, Matheson will be victim and have to go, it's a matter of when that is.. and that likely will be when they find somebody else on the right side with experience.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They can't keep Guhle on the right side forever and Hutson is going to be a fixture on the left side long term. Eventually, Matheson will be victim and have to go, it's a matter of when that is.. and that likely will be when they find somebody else on the right side with experience.
Another scenario is they put Matheson on the right side. I would say Matheson is coming into his own perhaps more than young Guhle at this point. Guhle is solid on the right side. Matheson isn't even solid on the left side. But if Matheson solidifies himself defensively on the left side, I could see a scenario where he's tried on the right. Guhle (defensive stability), Hutson (elite offense), an Xhekaj (nuclear deterence) have priority on the left, for the key element each brings. But I could see Matheson on right winning a spot over Mailloux, Barron, and Bogdan, even if Rasmus Anderson, or another RD vet, and Reibacher take the top 2 spots on the right.

We'll see. There is still a lot of hockey to be played over the next two years.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Another scenario is they put Matheson on the right side. I would say Matheson is coming into his own perhaps more than young Guhle at this point. Guhle is solid on the right side. Matheson isn't even solid on the left side. But if Matheson solidifies himself defensively on the left side, I could see a scenario where he's tried on the right. Guhle (defensive stability), Hutson (elite offense), an Xhekaj (nuclear deterence) have priority on the left, for the key element each brings. But I could see Matheson on right winning a spot over Mailloux, Barron, and Bogdan, even if Rasmus Anderson, or another RD vet, and Reibacher take the top 2 spots on the right.

We'll see. There is still a lot of hockey to be played over the next two years.
The one thing that is uncontestable is the NOW has become important and doubly so for next season.
As much as Hughes Marty and co. may like an individual they have always stressed "Balance" when discussing team building.
We don't have it and they want it so how do we get it?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The one thing that is uncontestable is the NOW has become important and doubly so for next season.
As much as Hughes Marty and co. may like an individual they have always stressed "Balance" when discussing team building.
We don't have it and they want it so how do we get it?

I wrote when reports came out that Rasmus Andersson may not re-sign in Calgary that it would be great to trade for him and then in a separate deal trade Matheson.

We'll see what HuGo choose to do though. Even if they get Andersson, they may choose to hang on to Matheson and see how things play out with Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron, and Bogdan before dealing Matheson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad