Confirmed with Link: Justin Barron Signed 2 years @ $1.15 AAV

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
They’ll have to, it’s not « if », unless you want Price to comeback and take a roster spot.

They just don’t have to do it in the summer.

Speaking of which, do we play the whole season with 16 millions in cap space? That would be surprising.

I dunno I think not putting Price on LTIR all season would give us a ton of options at the TDL. We could take on large expiring caps to our benefit. Adding more draft capital to make a substantial trade and or move up in next years draft.

Having all these assets (prospects and picks) going into next offseason would be huge for us. Turning quantity into quality. Next offseason is when Hughes will want to do something big IMO. I think he'd be fine this year with status quo.

He needs to see what he has in hand this year, there's a ton of questions that need answering and players who need ice time. Including Barron.

It's kind of why I'm indifferent to the whole Laine idea. Hughes may need to pivot and having a 8.7 cap next season could be prohibitive.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Why. do people keep talking about Lehkonen. He doesn't fit the time line and he had to be moved because there were so many dead bodies on the Habs. He is usrful on a Cup contender thin at the forward position. He is NO use on a rebuilding team. And Habs got Hage because of that pick as well.

We got rid of Toffoli, Drouin, Hoffman and Dadonov (through Weber's contract), yet we still have Gallagher, Anderson, Armia and Dvorak up front taking up roster spots. People need to realize what a disgusting mess Bergevin left and how Toffoli/Lehkonen were the only guys who had any value to be moved.

Also with Lehkonen, we probably don't end up with Demidov since we were only a point up on Arizona and 2 points up on Ottawa which could have easily been picked up with Lehkonen instead of plugs like Ylonen/White etc.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I dunno I think not putting Price on LTIR all season would give us a ton of options at the TDL. We could take on large expiring caps to our benefit. Adding more draft capital to make a substantial trade and or move up in next years draft.

Having all these assets (prospects and picks) going into next offseason would be huge for us. Turning quantity into quality. Next offseason is when Hughes will want to do something big IMO. I think he'd be fine this year with staus quo.

He needs to see what he has in hand this year, there's a ton of questions that need answering and players who need ice time. Including Barron.

It's kind of why I'm indifferent to the whole Laine idea.
I think Price can still go on LTIR but the Habs just won't be using any of their LTIR pool due to being under the cap so they can accrue cap space over the season since they're under the cap and won't be dipping into the LTIR pool and not being able to accrue cap space if they did.

The way I understand it is if the Habs add Price to LTIR before game 1 and they still have 5.45m in cap space left they won't get Price's full 10.5m for LTIR use and would only get 5.05m (Price's 10.5m - 5.45m current available cap space). That's why teams get the closest to the cap ceiling that they can before transfering a player to LTIR to maximize the cap relief with LTIR.

This LTIR and CBA stuff is still confusing to me. Also sorry for derailing the thread.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Having so much depth is a really good situation for Reinbacher in the long run. The pressure isn't on him to make the NHL as we have so much depth already, especially since most people will be fixated on if Hutson makes it on the opening day roster. Reinbacher can go down and just properly develop in Laval with the chance for the occasional short stint in the NHL if injuries hit.

We're a far cry from the days where Victor Mete made it right onto the top pairing out of camp just because he was the only one who could skate fast on the left side (thinking about that 17-18 team gives me the shakes).
The staff knew Mete was poor defensively. It's why they needed Weber to shelter him, not because they wanted him to have top pairing minutes.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Surprised he got 2 years actually. I was expecting a one year, one-way $925k for him. Essentially the same contract as last year, but a one-way over the two-way of the ELC. Didn't feel he had done much to get over a $1m.

However, this does tie him up for 2 years giving him and us time to see if he can get his shit together. The other benefit is it means he can't go to arbitration next year, so if he does score, say, 10 goals this season, we won't have to worry about a significant pay raise.

Matheson's contract is up in 2 years (UFA). Savard next summer (UFA). Guhle & Harris next summer, too (RFAs). Barron, Xhekaj & Hutson in 2 years (RFAs).

Everyone on D is short-time, which is fine. A lot of players still battling to be full time NHLers, or for a position.

I expect Guhle to get the only long-term contract.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I think Barron starts the year as our 3rd. Maillloux comes in if there's an injury. That's what I think will happen.

Won't surprise me if we trade Matheson at the deadline. That opens up a whole world of possibilities and allows Guhle to go back to his natural side.

I can't see us trading Matheson until the tdl of the last year of his contract. If Matheson is traded someone will have to play 20+ min with Guhle and go against the top opposition, and I don't see anyone ready for that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't see us trading Matheson until the tdl of the last year of his contract. If Matheson is traded someone will have to play 20+ min with Guhle and go against the top opposition, and I don't see anyone ready for that.
Habs do need a couple of vets. Don’t expect them to ice a Dcore completely under 25.

A lot is going to depend on how many guys show that they are legit top 4
Dmen this season.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Nice to see Barron signed. Not yet 23 and has only played 94 NHL games. Smooth skater, excellent offensive instincts. As a defenseman he has to be a better defender and maybe that comes in the next couple of seasons. We fans are not patient but I was always told that young Dmen need at least 200 games to figure things out.
You call 30 years putting up with this shit ‘not patient’ :D

So what’s left now? An extension for Anderson?

• Haha
Reactions: sampollock

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Surprised he got 2 years actually. I was expecting a one year, one-way $925k for him. Essentially the same contract as last year, but a one-way over the two-way of the ELC. Didn't feel he had done much to get over a $1m.

However, this does tie him up for 2 years giving him and us time to see if he can get his shit together. The other benefit is it means he can't go to arbitration next year, so if he does score, say, 10 goals this season, we won't have to worry about a significant pay raise.

Matheson's contract is up in 2 years (UFA). Savard next summer (UFA). Guhle & Harris next summer, too (RFAs). Barron, Xhekaj & Hutson in 2 years (RFAs).

Everyone on D is short-time, which is fine. A lot of players still battling to be full time NHLers, or for a position.

I expect Guhle to get the only long-term contract.
Another bonus is that if he hits waivers this does reduce a tiny bit the likelihood of getting claimed.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Our 7 'NHL defensemen' are locked up at a combined salary of 13.95 million.

Barron has always shown glimpses of his talent, but he just hasn't put it together yet. He may never, but this is a deal for him to prove what he can do.
Overpaid. We could have both Nurse and Ceci for like $12.5m.

Just think of the cap savings.

:sarcasm:

• Haha

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
According to Puckpedia they still have 5.45m of cap space left. Likely won't even have to add Price and his 10.5m to LTIR this season, if they don't add another big salary this off season.
Out of curiosity, is there any reason not to put Price on LTIR and have the opportunity to weaponize that cap space?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
need to get a top 6 guy. enough is enough
so many draft picks , cap room and so many guys coming (can't sign them all)
Yeah, and let’s face it, some of this guys coming may not pan out. Also, many a a few years away from being ready while our young core is chomping at the bit to start winning.

They need to add a top 6 now,

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You call 30 years putting up with this shit ‘not patient’ :D

So what’s left now? An extension for Anderson?
Hughes, started 2.5 seasons ago..............this is the only true rebuild we have ever done.

The other years, well forgettable all but a few of Gainey's years, when Uncle George made us a decent team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad