Confirmed with Link: Justin Barron Signed 2 years @ $1.15 AAV

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Great signing again. They need to give him a real shot this year. Needs to be on the 3rd pairing. Let's see what this guy can do.
With the trade of Kovacevic and the all but certain trading of Savard, there will openings and opportunities on the Canadiens’ blueline.

The transformation has begun.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They will most likely have Guhle and Savard as the top 4 RD's again for 1 more year next year
And with Kovasevic gone
Odds are that spot at 3RD was liberated for Barron..

But I still think they're mindset is 'well hey, it's going to whoever wins the spot in training camp between Mailloux and Barron'

Which is amazing we even have that luxury when REINBACHER exists and is just chomping at the bit to be a top4 RD for us himself lol
I think Barron starts the year as our 3rd. Maillloux comes in if there's an injury. That's what I think will happen.

Won't surprise me if we trade Matheson at the deadline. That opens up a whole world of possibilities and allows Guhle to go back to his natural side.

Reactions: NewDef and Redux91

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They will most likely have Guhle and Savard as the top 4 RD's again for 1 more year next year
And with Kovasevic gone

But I still think they're mindset is 'well hey, it's going to whoever wins the spot in training camp between Mailloux and Barron'

Which is amazing we even have that luxury when REINBACHER exists and is just chomping at the bit to be a top4 RD for us himself lol
They probably are more likely to swing Guhle to the right side again and keep Mailloux in the A, just because of his lack of games when he was 18 and 19 due to Covid and his suspension. He's also waiver exempt, as are Guhle, Struble, Hutson, Reinbacher.

Don't expect them to keep 6 kids along with their 2 vets. 5 of the younger make the roster.
Savard, Guhle, Barron on the right. Matheson, X, and 2 of Harris, Struble, Hutson on the left with one as the spare.

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
Habs signed the guys they wanted to sign & let the rest of the UFAs & RFAs walk. As they should have.

Good to have Xhek the Ripper & the Red Barron.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Two years? He needs waivers this upcoming seasons and he couldn't crack the worst RD in the league despite numerous chances.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They probably are more likely to swing Guhle to the right side again and keep Mailloux in the A, just because of his lack of games when he was 18 and 19 due to Covid and his suspension. He's also waiver exempt, as are Guhle, Struble, Hutson, Reinbacher.

Don't expect them to keep 6 kids along with their 2 vets. 5 of the younger make the roster.
Savard, Guhle, Barron on the right. Matheson, X, and 2 of Harris, Struble, Hutson on the left with one as the spare.
The season is long and full of terrors, we will see Mailloux called up at some point indeed.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Writting a player off at 23 with under 100 nhl games under his belt is crazy work
Habs are loaded with dmen, I'm just not sure how he's going to have the chance to flourish by barely playing. I was a fan of the trade at the time and was a fan of Barron, but he's regressed since last time and being waivers eligible makes the situation a lot more complicated.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Ehhh.... probably just for trade bait. Worst transaction in Hughes' GM career. Should have found a way to keep Lehkonen.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Habs are loaded with dmen, I'm just not sure how he's going to have the chance to flourish by barely playing. I was a fan of the trade at the time and was a fan of Barron, but he's regressed since last time and being waivers eligible makes the situation a lot more complicated.
He's on the right side though. That should give him the window he needs to develop - or at least for us to evaluate him. It's much tougher for Struble/X/Harris who have to compete on the left side.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ehhh.... probably just for trade bait. Worst transaction in Hughes' GM career. Should have found a way to keep Lehkonen.
One way or another, it made sense to trade Lehk. His prime would've been wasted here. It's exactly the kind of trade you make when you're rebuilding.

And you have to know that not every trade works out. Some prospects won't pan out... it's the nature of the game. I have zero problem with this kind of move even if it doesn't work out the way you hoped it would.

Barron hasn't played enough for us to really know how good he'll be. But he has all the tools. It's worth taking a chance on talent like that. If it doesn't pan out then history won't be kind when examining the trade but the move has to be put into context as to what the GM was trying to do. I'm fine with gambles like this.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
And with Kovasevic gone

Having so much depth is a really good situation for Reinbacher in the long run. The pressure isn't on him to make the NHL as we have so much depth already, especially since most people will be fixated on if Hutson makes it on the opening day roster. Reinbacher can go down and just properly develop in Laval with the chance for the occasional short stint in the NHL if injuries hit.

We're a far cry from the days where Victor Mete made it right onto the top pairing out of camp just because he was the only one who could skate fast on the left side (thinking about that 17-18 team gives me the shakes).

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He's on the right side though. That should give him the window he needs to develop - or at least for us to evaluate him. It's much tougher for Struble/X/Harris who have to compete on the left side.
Camp is going to be intense I bet. We have a bunch of young defenseman and not enough roster spots. I expect everyone to compete hard to earn a spot and it wouldn't surprise me if other teams will be watching too in case we end up trading someone before the season starts.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Camp is going to be intense I bet. We have a bunch of young defenseman and not enough roster spots. I expect everyone to compete hard to earn a spot and it wouldn't surprise me if other teams will be watching too in case we end up trading someone before the season starts.
If I were a rebuilding club I'd be all over Montreal's young D. You may not be able to trade for a guy like Guhle or Hutson but there's a lot of great depth players that you could add. Struble, Harris, Engstrom... tons of players to go after. It's amazing how much talent we have back there.

And what exactly would he have changed for the Habs?
He might've ensured that we didn't get Slaf or Demidov.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
They spent the whole of last year with a ton of cap space and never needed to put Price on LTIR
Never? Why am I thinking that he’s on LTIR every year, which gives us the ability to free up a roster spot?
Only, they have the luxury to not put him on it during the summer, they do it « in season » which can accrue dollars without penalising the whole cap pool for the year.

Am I wrong on this?

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
We have alot of LDs but not much on the right

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
They’ll have to, it’s not « if », unless you want Price to comeback and take a roster spot.

They just don’t have to do it in the summer.

Speaking of which, do we play the whole season with 16 millions in cap space? That would be surprising.
Oh ok. Thanks.

Just didn't figure they'd need to transfer him to LTIR if they had the available space to carry his full caphit and thought they could maybe do like they did with Dach last season and just leave him on IR for the entire season instead of putting him on LTIR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Why. do people keep talking about Lehkonen. He doesn't fit the time line and he had to be moved because there were so many dead bodies on the Habs. He is usrful on a Cup contender thin at the forward position. He is NO use on a rebuilding team. And Habs got Hage because of that pick as well.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Never? Why am I thinking that he’s on LTIR every year, which gives us the ability to free up a roster spot?
Only, they have the luxury to not put him on it during the summer, they do it « in season » which can accrue dollars without penalising the whole cap pool for the year.

Am I wrong on this?
IR opens up a roster spot for the duration that player is on IR. LTIR does that and gives the equivalent amount of cap space as the contract that is on LTIR. I think in this context what is relevant is that the Habs didn’t need the LTIR space last season and likely won’t this season unless Hughes acquires a big money player.

Reactions: Gustave

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Can't say I'm a huge fan of his game, but I'll admit he does bring a few things that we don't have much of on the right side of the defense ATM. Plus, he still has some value and he's now on a fairly cheap contract, so asset wise he's good to have around. Popcorn and Mailloux are going to pass him over in the a RD chart before too long anyway.

Reactions: Trabdy2

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And with Kovasevic gone

They won't waive Barron if he and Mailloux are about the same at camp. Mailloux won't be hurt if he is sent to Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad