Value of: Just to play Devils advocate Value of Bergeron at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
People are crazy if they think there is zero chance Bergeron leaves Boston, tenured players leave all the time. I don't think Boston even considers trading him though

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He's still a point per game player at 36. We're talking a premium haul for him. Not only that but he's going to control his destiny so there's going to be a limited amount of teams that can get him. He's got a three team trade list. So that's three teams bidding against each other for him.

If all three are in the playoff hunt and think he puts them over the top, and can fit the cap hit, you're looking at a haul similar to when Keith Tkachuk went to the Blues. A top six winger under 23 that can score 20+ goals, top six centre under 25 that can score 20 goals, an A prospect just drafted in the first round, and a 1st round pick.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Boston should be competing for the 1st WC spot against the rest of Metro, I have a hard time seeing them pass Florida, Toronto, or Tampa.

In terms of asset management it makes sense to rebuild now, but that would be a slap in the face to Bergeron and Marchand. Chances are they'll keep aiming for the cup for as long as Bergeron is a #1C.

Reactions: KurtDangle

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston should be competing for the 1st WC spot against the rest of Metro, I have a hard time seeing them pass Florida, Toronto, or Tampa.

In terms of asset management it makes sense to rebuild now, but that would be a slap in the face to Bergeron and Marchand. Chances are they'll keep aiming for the cup for as long as Bergeron is a #1C.

As long as the Bruins have 4 elite players in Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak and McAvoy there is no smarter asset management than to go for it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't think Bergeron ever wears another NHL teams jersey. The guy will probably be a lifetime Bruin. Then again they did let Chara walk, but he was washed up at that point. If somehow Bergeron is moved, he's getting a 1st + Elite prospect at the very least. He's still a very good player and one of the best defensively. For a legitimate playoff contender, Bergeron has the talent to take them over the hump. IMO Bergy is still a legitimate 1C, those kind of guys don't come cheap regardless of how old he is.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
There would be no shortage of suitors.

The return for Boston would be massive.

Bergeron is everything you want in a player that has the ability to impact all three zones.

If that was the direction the Bruins were going, they should move Marchand as well at which point the rebuild would be short
wrong....the return would not be massive....he is 36 years old

rogking65

May 13, 2016
Doesn't matter when you bring to the table wjat he does.

An all situations player.
if you search the list of active players 37 or older you will see there uis not much productivity there, and forwards do not age as well as defensemen

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
if you search the list of active players 37 or older you will see there uis not much productivity there, and forwards do not age as well as defensemen

Would it be nice to be able to sign him to an extension sure.

But you are not acquiring Bergeron at the 21-22 deadline with anything but this years playoffs in mind.

With that said, if Boston ever put him on the market, no less than 16 teams would all be interested.

That's how valuable a player he is.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Boston has played 17 games
But you said all the matters is games already played, so why does it matter if they played 10 or 17? If Tampa was 6-2-2 but due to other teams playing way more games, would you say they were struggling and “not a playoff team”?

Maybe now you’ll see the stupidity in not paying attention to games played at this point in the season

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That is irrelevant when talking about this current season only. He’s a PPG all-around #1C… that’s a massive return

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But you said all the matters is games already played, so why does it matter if they played 10 or 17? If Tampa was 6-2-2 but due to other teams playing way more games, would you say they were struggling and “not a playoff team”?

Maybe now you’ll see the stupidity in not paying attention to games played at this point in the season

Because you gave an unrealistic example where Tampa would only have played 10 games by the end of November that would never happen even if Covid decimated them that would never happen.

The NYI prove that, Covid has destroyed them and they are only now being shut down and even then only for what? 3 or 4 days?

The example you provided would never happen.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because you gave an unrealistic example where Tampa would only have played 10 games by the end of November that would never happen even if Covid decimated them that would never happen.

The NYI prove that, Covid has destroyed them and they are only now being shut down and even then only for what? 3 or 4 days?

The example you provided would never happen.
That’s not what you said. You said games played doesn’t matter only their current point totals. So why does games played not matter anymore? What’s your cut off where you suddenly stop caring about games played?
I can guarantee if the Leafs were behind in games played that you’d only be talking about p%

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wrong thread -_-

But yeah give me Bergeron for Eklund + 1st + something
Uh what? That's insane. Sharks are in no position to move futures for Bergeron. And honestly at his age, even if we were contenders, Eklund is too good of a prospect for me to give up.

pearljamvs5

Jun 19, 2011
Doesn't matter how other 37 or older year old players are performing, there is plenty of production there from Bergeron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad