Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't know why people keep talking about goals and points. IT'S NOT ABOUT THAT. If the guy is implicated, at the right place, does the little things, is strong, can anticipate....and STILL ends up with 5 points total...I WON'T CARE. He stays!

But it's not about that. He,s often all over the place. Often on the toes of a teamate which means somebody else is open. Doesn't shoot. Takes the wrong decisions in all 3 zones. It's going too fast. And it's okay. He wasn't playing against tough opposition all of his life. He was parachuted in the best league in the world at 18.

He needs to take it a little more slowly. Build confidence. And that's at BEST in the AHL. Geez, he could even go back in Juniors but obviously, we won't do it. And not in Europe either where he needs to be acclimated to smaller ice surface.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That’s another reason for doing it fast when a player isn’t ready. You have to do it anyway because he will rebuild his confidence much faster in the AHL.

The longer they wait… the harder it will hit.

And if he can’t do it in the AHL, there is no way he will do it in the NHL.

So it’s all PR BS to calm fans down on an issue that was miss handled. And you know what? The fans aren’t trying to reinvent the wheel… but management is and they don’t want to admit it.
You have to do it anyway because he will rebuild his confidence much faster in the AHL.

This is a nice slogan, but not much more. Some players improve more playing with better players and increase their confidence better that way.

The key to staying in the NHL, for Slafkovsky and his development, is that he gets ice time and meaningful game situations.

Minutes on the 2nd PP wave, right now, makes sense, because the PP is doing relatively well and PP minutes are also in St-Louis' arsenal to keep peace throughout the lineup with the better players. Still, Slafkovsky has been given a spot and isn't being tossed aside toggle candy to some disgruntled veteran, for example.

If they start playing Slafkovsky 8 minutes a game on the 4th line, there is no justification keeping him in the NHL. It can't be, "We're keeping him in Montreal because of the superior Mayonnaise here."

As opposed to other years when the teams given the mission to compete for the playoffs and ( anything can happen ;) ). maybe, a Cup, Slafkovsky should have definitely and unequivocally been sent to Lava to start off his careerl

But, since Montreal is actually using theNHL as a development league right now, with Slafkovsky and so many other young players, including a fair chunk the D-Corps, it's okay to have him up with the Montreal team, IMO. Again, provided there is a good communication with the player, that he isn't benched at the first mistake, that he continues together 2nd line minutes and that he plays in game situations that will help him progress in time.

There are many ways to impact on a player's confidence. When Slafkovsky was having a good game, St-louis put him out on the ice with a 1-goal lead in the dying minutes of the game.

That may not sound sexy to some, but it speaks loudly to the player.

Anyhow, a bunch of armchair coaches and GMs, who know little of what should be done to develop a player properly -- but act like they have been doing it for 25 years in the NHL -- and share downright mean hot takes about a 19-year old who is engaged and willing to do everything to improve (from what is heard), even if indirectly, through criticism of the team's management and their treatment of the player, amounts to the same actions as school bullies on social media.

Little thought is placed analyzing the repercussions of uninformed and mean comments about the player.

Grade school mentalities X 5 because of Internet mob mentality (there's always a torch and a pitchfork within arm's reach as the other hand types away...)
There we go now his draft year is delayed lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The lengths people will go to man
Some posters should have more maturity in their responses if they are looking to enage in conversation.

Experience is experience. St-Louis and Nicolas were working in stages with Slafkovsky last season (as per St-Louis) and yes, the injury impacted his development becauseofthe experience that was not gained, period.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You have to do it anyway because he will rebuild his confidence much faster in the AHL.

This is a nice slogan, but not much more. Some players improve more playing with better players and increase their confidence better that way.

The key to staying in the NHL, for Slafkovsky and his development, is that he gets ice time and meaningful game situations.

Minutes on the 2nd PP wave, right now, makes sense, because the PP is doing relatively well and PP minutes are also in St-Louis' arsenal to keep peace throughout the lineup with the better players. Still, Slafkovsky has been given a spot and isn't being tossed aside toggle candy to some disgruntled veteran, for example.

If they start playing Slafkovsky 8 minutes a game on the 4th line, there is no justification keeping him in the NHL. It can't be, "We're keeping him in Montreal because of the superior Mayonnaise here."

As opposed to other years when the teams given the mission to compete for the playoffs and ( anything can happen ;) ). maybe, a Cup, Slafkovsky should have definitely and unequivocally been sent to Lava to start off his careerl

But, since Montreal is actually using theNHL as a development league right now, with Slafkovsky and so many other young players, including a fair chunk the D-Corps, it's okay to have him up with the Montreal team, IMO. Again, provided there is a good communication with the player, that he isn't benched at the first mistake, that he continues together 2nd line minutes and that he plays in game situations that will help him progress in time.

There are many ways to impact on a player's confidence. When Slafkovsky was having a good game, St-louis put him out on the ice with a 1-goal lead in the dying minutes of the game.

That may not sound sexy to some, but it speaks loudly to the player.

Anyhow, a bunch of armchair coaches and GMs, who know little of what should be done to develop a player properly -- but act like they have been doing it for 25 years in the NHL -- and share downright mean hot takes about a 19-year old who is engaged and willing to do everything to improve (from what is heard), even if indirectly, through criticism of the team's management and their treatment of the player, amounts to the same actions as school bullies on social media.

Little thought is placed analyzing the repercussions of uninformed and mean comments about the player.

Grade school mentalities X 5 because of Internet mob mentality (there's always a torch and a pitchfork within arm's reach as the other hand types away...)

Some posters should have more maturity in their responses if they are looking to enage in conversation.

Experience is experience. St-Louis and Nicolas were working in stages with Slafkovsky last season (as per St-Louis) and yes, the injury impacted his development becauseofthe experience that was not gained, period.
By that logic, all 2022 OHL draftees are in their draft +1

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Why? Wright got humiliated at the draft day, then he was sent to juniors to complete the humiliation.
Now he is in AHL with a PPG. He has a steady development and will probably get a call form Kraken in this season.
Slaf is going in the opposite direction, from NHL to minors soon without any clue abut if he's capable of doing something at AHL level.

Who???? The same "Exceptional Status", "generational" Shane Wright who is 63rd in AHL scoring. AND had only 2 measly goals in 24 Coachella Valley playoff games last year?? LMFAO.

I can only imagine the trolling Wright would've gotten if we picked him. So now I think I understand what this is about...you're pissed we didn't pick Shane "The Next One" Wright.

I watched him a lot in his D year in the CHL playoffs (where he was invisible most games) and almost every Coachella playoff game last season (they streamed on YouTube), where he was terrible. PLUS he ostensibly interviewed horribly, and that, added to his mediocre performances, is why 3 teams passed on the long-standing hyped 1OA pick. So, I'm not sure why you bring-up Shane Wright...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Who???? The same "Exceptional Status", "generational" Shane Wright who is 63rd in AHL scoring. AND had only 2 measly goals in 24 Coachella Valley playoff games last year?? LMFAO.

5th in rookie scoring. People can easily spot horrendous arguments, maybe you shoulda kept lurking. You do realize he is PPG and the great majority of the 62 in front of him have between 1 to 3 games more played, while only having a few points more. He brought up Wright because the Kraken aren't trying to reinvent development. They're going with the route that is most tried and tested. That's his point.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia

I can only imagine the trolling Wright would've gotten if we picked him. So now I think I understand what this is about...you're pissed we didn't pick Shane "The Next One" Wright.

I watched him a lot in his D year in the CHL playoffs (where he was invisible most games) and almost every Coachella playoff game last season (they streamed on YouTube), where he was terrible. PLUS he ostensibly interviewed horribly, and that, added to his mediocre performances, is why 3 teams passed on the long-standing hyped 1OA pick. So, I'm not sure why you bring-up Shane Wright...
No matter what, Wright is progressing and is on the right path.
On the other hand, the so called 1OA "project" is regressing.
And BTW. do you think Slaf in AHL would do better?

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
5th in rookie scoring. People can easily spot horrendous arguments, maybe you shoulda kept lurking. You do realize he is PPG and the great majority of the 62 in front of him have between 1 to 3 games more played, while only having a few points more. He brought up Wright because the Kraken aren't trying to reinvent development. They're going with the route that is most tried and tested. That's his point.

You don't get to dictate if I post or not. Funny how personal attacks come out when thin skins don't like opposing views.

I just found it hilarious that troll waited until Wright climbed from 144th overall just a couple days ago to 63rd. Was silent until then. Coachella scores a ton of goals. So in context, maybe still not great stats for Wright.

Maybe he'll truly dominate at some point. I don't have a crystal ball. And that's my point about Slaf as neither do you or other big critics here. But, based on his output so far, especially Mr "Leader" Shane Wright getting only 2 goals in 24 playoff games last year, I'd say if the same posters attacking Slaf with such scrutiny and criticism, using Wright as an argument is downWright hilarious.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No matter what, Wright is progressing and is on the right path.
On the other hand, the so called 1OA "project" is regressing.
And BTW. do you think Slaf in AHL would do better?
Because he has 6 points in 6 games in the AHL. I've read ridiculous things around here but this take the cake easily. I would not know where to start but :

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Probably because he'd be in the NHL struggling just the same.

Stop blaming the symptom and start looking at the illness.

Jeff-Gorton-Kent-Hughes-Geoff-Molson.jpeg
Terrific! The new campaign to get rid of management and ownership has started full force! Some fans don't deserve any success. They are just there to find culprits they can rag on.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I mind that if Slaf had Cole Caufield’s quality of shot, he’d have only 1 goal this season. He never shoots, never drives the net, never takes the puck to the slot. This is Offence 101 for any NHL forward. Why’s he the only NHL forward getting away with not doing this stuff? I can’t emphasize how basic this is. Who’s running the show in Montreal?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
By that logic, all 2022 OHL draftees are in their draft +1
No. Every situation is different, although some can end up in the same category when all is said and done.

That's part of the problem with some fans, though. They only understand generalities and NEED to look at all cases the same exact way, even if that means comparing apples to kiwis.

They can have their way if it makes them feel more comfortable, as far as I am concerned, but their opinion is stunted. I don't place much value in those generalized statements that seek to fit everything into the round hole, no matter what shape it is...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Terrific! The new campaign to get rid of management and ownership has started full force! Some fans don't deserve any success. They are just there to find culprits they can rag on.
Get rid? I mean, maybe one day.

Theyre not without faults. Love their pro scouting and asset acquisition, their amateur scouting and development is suspect at best.

No. Every situation is different, although some can end up in the same category when all is said and done.

That's part of the problem with some fans, though. They only understand generalities and NEED to look at all cases the same exact way, even if that means comparing apples to kiwis.

They can have their way if it makes them feel more comfortable, as far as I am concerned, but their opinion is stunted. I don't place much value in those generalized statements that seek to fit everything into the round hole, no matter what shape it is...
Whats different? Did Beck, Right, etc, not miss a whole year?

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I just found it hilarious that troll waited until Wright climbed from 144th overall just a couple days ago to 63rd. Was silent until then. Coachella scores a ton of goals. So in context, maybe still not great stats for Wright.

Maybe he'll truly dominate at some point. I don't have a crystal ball. And that's my point about Slaf as neither do you or other big critics here. But, based on his output so far, especially Mr "Leader" Shane Wright getting only 2 goals in 24 playoff games last year, I'd say if the same posters attacking Slaf with such scrutiny and criticism, using Wright as an argument is downWright hilarious.
So what? We drafted 1OA a player who was 188th in Liiga with PPG.

Reactions: ReHabs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Because he has 6 points in 6 games in the AHL. I've read ridiculous things around here but this take the cake easily. I would not know where to start but :

I mean I don't see what's so ridiculous about that. Wright is playing well so far in the AHL this season. Can that change? Sure, but he's doing well right now. In fact, the posts saying "Thank god we didn't pick Wright since he's proving that he shouldn't have been selected 1st OA" are the ridiculous ones, it's too early to make such a claim.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
As i dont know what the development team is telling him, i wish i knew what they were saying to focus on.

Early on, i found he was making a concerted effort to get to the net. I dont see that as much now. He just looks like a guy gettting a mixed message or just not capable of taking the advice as a whole instead of one aspect at a time, ie, Hockey IQ

To me the message should be find open areas, shoot everytime and go to the net. But thats just me. Problem is both Newhook and especially Anderson together dont fit with him. I think Hook could but all three together lack a creator and driver

Reactions: Takeru

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Probably because he'd be in the NHL struggling just the same.

Stop blaming the symptom and start looking at the illness.

Jeff-Gorton-Kent-Hughes-Geoff-Molson.jpeg
Their roster is pretty crappy but they’ve managed to start the season 5-2-2 despite that which is pretty impressive. I think HuGo deserves credit for that because two years in a row they’ve come out of the gate strong and competing. Blowing the first overall would be bad, but I don’t know if you can blame them completely for Slafkovsky being their pick at 1. I had him ranked 4th but I’m aware a lot of things kind of snowballed for a majority of the scouts around the league to start leaning towards that player.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Theyre not without faults. Love their pro scouting and asset acquisition, their amateur scouting and development is suspect at best.
Great sample size to judge as well. Impatience makes uninformed opinions.

Whats different? Did Beck, Right, etc, not miss a whole year?
I never even mentioned the COVID reason where players missed time, so I'mnot even addressing that ludicrous point you now try to get me on.

I mentioned missing the experience of the rest of the season and the different stages he would have made in his development as per the team plan with him -- because of his injury.

Each case is different with a player's development because of many different factors, starting with the NHL readiness strictly based on physical maturity, then on mental maturity

The makeup of the team and wether it is outright rebuilding (therefore developing players at the NHL level as well as at the AHL level),rather than tweaking the lineup with a reset where they are still aiming for a playoff spot. That will happen for teams who chose higher in the draft because of a devastating injury bug in a season, or the loss of a few key cogs in the wheel

No need to lump everything into the same cookie cutter model, especially if you want to actually understand a given situation. Of course, if the aim is just to complain, or to find the next victim on which to transfer one's own frustrations, trying to lump everything together is good means of arriving at that goal.

Those doing that and feeling better for it, should keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I mean I don't see what's so ridiculous about that. Wright is playing well so far in the AHL this season. Can that change? Sure, but he's doing well right now. In fact, the posts saying "Thank god we didn't pick Wright since he's proving that he shouldn't have been selected 1st OA" are the ridiculous ones, it's too early to make such a claim.
Slaf can take much more physical abuse than Wright who avoids contact completely, which would matter a good deal if Slaf was taking the puck into traffic but he isn’t at all.
Advantage cancelled.

However!!! Unlike Slaf, Wright takes the puck to the net, drives the net, shoots when he has an opportunity. Wright does not take the puck to the mid-slot which is a flaw, but he’s not expected to be a power forward. Whereas 100% of Slaf‘s game is fighting for the puck, if successful, he skates the puck around the boards (never more than 10 feet away from the boards) and looks for someone to dump the puck to. That’s it. Nothing else.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
As i dont know what the development team is telling him, i wish i knew what they were saying to focus on.

Early on, i found he was making a concerted effort to get to the net. I dont see that as much now. He just looks like a guy gettting a mixed message or just not capable of taking the advice as a whole instead of one aspect at a time, ie, Hockey IQ

To me the message should be find open areas, shoot everytime and go to the net. But thats just me. Problem is both Newhook and especially Anderson together dont fit with him. I think Hook could but all three together lack a creator and driver
As they say in French, "N'importe quoi!"

It just sounds like you're looking for a problem. I see zero problems with Slafkovsky's hockey IQ.

According to St-Louis, his understanding of the games top notch. Offensively, his IQ is on display as an example with the pass he made to send Anderson off on a breakaway. It wasn't some forward pass as he was dandily jaunting forward uptake ice. It showed a quick glimpse of the ice and an understanding of what was developing before getting the puck and making the play.

Other examples, but in a hurry now...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Slaf can take much more physical abuse than Wright who avoids contact completely, which would matter a good deal if Slaf was taking the puck into traffic but he isn’t at all.
Advantage cancelled.

However!!! Unlike Slaf, Wright takes the puck to the net, drives the net, shoots when he has an opportunity. Wright does not take the puck to the mid-slot which is a flaw, but he’s not expected to be a power forward. Whereas 100% of Slaf‘s game is fighting for the puck, if successful, he skates the puck around the boards (never more than 10 feet away from the boards) and looks for someone to dump the puck to. That’s it. Nothing else.
Why is tolerance to physical abuse more important than skill for a 1st OA? Slaf has yet to show his "elite" compete level to fight for the puck and he's quite the pushover despite his monstrous size. Of course that will improve with time, but he's not really going balls to walls fighting for the puck because he looks like a deer in headlights trying to figure out what play he should make which is way too late by the time he decides.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Why is tolerance to physical abuse more important than skill for a 1st OA? Slaf has yet to show his "elite" compete level to fight for the puck and he's quite the pushover despite his monstrous size. Of course that will improve with time, but he's not really going balls to walls fighting for the puck because he looks like a deer in headlights trying to figure out what play he should make which is way too late by the time he decides.
Tolerance to physical abuse is good for a Power Forward.
Wright is more of a pushover than Slaf and falls at least as much.
Slaf has « elite » compete level when it comes to chasing or fighting for the puck, but so does Pezetta. It’s essentially a grinder/energy player skill. Slaf’s not a lazy player at all, it’s certainly not a flaw.

I would say Slaf and Wright’s stick skills are a wash. The major difference is Wright uses them to try to score or to get in a shooting lane, whereas Slaf stays as far away from the net as possible and skates with the puck using the same pattern as a short track Olympic skater . I must admit I have no clue what Slaf’s endgame is.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Tolerance to physical abuse is good for a Power Forward.
Wright is more of a pushover than Slaf and falls at least as much.
Slaf has « elite » compete level when it comes to chasing or fighting for the puck, but so does Pezetta. It’s essentially a grinder/energy player skill. Slaf’s not a lazy player at all.

I would say Slaf and Wright’s stick skills are a wash. The major difference is Wright uses them to try to score or to get in a shooting lane, whereas Slaf stays as far away from the net possible and skates with the puck using the same pattern as a short track Olympic skater . I must admit I have no clue what Slaf’s endgame is.
It is good, but as a 1st OA that power forward needs high end skills too. Hell even if you say the draft class was crap and that he's a top 10 prospect in a normal draft, a power forward goes top 10 because of his offensive skills as well.

I don't think the stick skills are a wash and not to mention that Slaf never knows what to do (i.e shoot/pass/skate to the net/get open...etc).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It is good, but as a 1st OA that power forward needs high end skills too. Hell even if you say the draft class was crap and that he's a top 10 prospect in a normal draft, a power forward goes top 10 because of his offensive skills as well.

I don't think the stick skills are a wash and not to mention that Slaf never knows what to do (i.e shoot/pass/skate to the net/get open...etc).
Difficult choice Hughes has to make. Slaf looks like he has regressed from camp and start of season.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Imagine the whining and complaining if we took Connor Wright instead of Slaf last year. Lmfao people just like to complain.
Wright is in the AHL putting up pt/game at 19 like he should be... Slaf has 1 point in his last 24 games in the NHL. In that span he only has 21 shots and a -13. Not sure what he is learning in the NHL when the last time he scored a goal was 11 months ago. But sure, we're complainers. Canes showing Habs what kind of developmental place Montreal is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad