Confirmed with Link: Juraj Slafkovsky re-signs with the Canadiens 8 x $7.6M

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Best part: the bar has been set that nobody earns more than the captain. This is the sort of attitude that wins championships. Bodes very well for Demidov contract in the future also.
This has been someth8ng I've been beating the drums on.. it's really quite simple why having Suzuki on his current contract; it sets the bar to the Ultimate Buy-In. From (either) ELC superstar or RFA star, no player is going to earn more than the captain. Only time that will happen is to bring in a UFA approved from the Captain himself. This is how a team is built correctly.
Tier 1: Suzuki
Tier 2: Dach
Tier 3: depth draftees RFAs

It establishes a professional system, one which all players can respect. This is why Hugo is only drafting Professionals, players who "finally" understand that the collective creates more wealth than the self.

I have a feeling Guhle will be the tier 1D to set the bar..

Basically any player wanting more will be traded (no harm no foul), they either want to be part of the CH or chase more money in Buffalo or Columbus

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
There’s actually very little risk for the Habs here.

First of all, Slafkovsky is a true professional and he’s extremely passionate. Not the type of character to rest on his laurels at all.

Second of all, his captain and wingman Caufield 100% love the guy and went to bat for him to play on their line. They are invested in his success and development, they understand that if he succeeds the team succeeds.

Lastly, the coach and staff also fully believe in him.

We’ve seen what he accomplished this season once everyone believed in him, he was outright dominant physically out there.

We’re going to be laughing at how underpaid he is in as little as 2 seasons.
Absolutely.

Reactions: themilosh

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Sponsor
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
Lol.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I had given up on Habs' day after Barre-Boulet and the handful of guys they signed to AHL deals.

So I just check in and see they extended Slaf. Nice!!

So Demidov on Friday and Slaf extension on Monday. I'm content.

Kept the AAV below 8M and below Nick and Cole. I'm a happy man.

Now to get Guhle done.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
It d

And what if settles as a 50 point player?

Always remember the people here who were cheering for the Gallagher contract who are now acting like it was obviously a bad deal.

Fans have short memories...
Seems to me, GMs have the option of either paying a player for what he's done (Gallagher), or paying a player for what he is projected to do (Slaf). Either way, it seems, people will bitch

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Big gamble of course but likely not really.

I’m really big on him so I think this will be huge savings. In the back half of this term especially.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
This could be a steal as early as next year. You look at the contract of Elias Lindholm signed today. Slaf was more productive just last year. Amazing deal by Hughes. The idiot MB would have bridged him and then been stuck with a 10m AAV in 3 years.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Andy

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Yikes at the people trying to be debbie-downers. Good for updating the list though.

Reactions: dralaf

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
High risk, high reward contract.

He is is way too unproven to be given that contract but Hughes is banking on him continuing to develop.
The opposite of this is true. Early on this year, his first 15-20 games he seemed to struggle quite a bit and then he took off. There is quite literally no downside to this deal. He should be good for 60+ points next year without injury. Go luck at how much that costs this day and age. Then remember Slaf just turned 20 3 months ago.

This is a sweetheart deal. I was a skeptic when he looked lost on the ice, but he’s been past that for 60 games or so.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The progression he showed last year wasn’t that of somebody who was just heating up for a period of time playing with better linemates. He was showing signs of somebody who was coming into his own. The contract is a gamble because of the sample size but the potential reward at $7.6 million is too good to pass up.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
I like it. He comes in under both Suzuki and Caufield, but I believe he's actually going to be the best of the 3. He's a f***ing beast, and I love his competitiveness.

Solid signing.

I couldn't agree more with your statement 👏.
Even with Demidov eventually in the lineup, Slafkovsky will still be the habs Franchise player, mark my words.

The beast will be that good.

:teach:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad