Juolevi, Laine & Puljujärvi.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jan 21, 2018
The replies are so predictable, it's the weekly "never draft Finns, they are all busts" discussion number 2541. zzzzzzzzzzz... Some Finnish posters on this site tend to overrate Finnish prospects and can be annoying, but the narrative has shifted too far the other way now.

The sample size for a small country is small enough to have ebbs and flows with busts and good picks. Draft players, not nationalities.

(Go tell Florida, Colorado, Dallas and Carolina to not draft Finns. Just saying, some pretty good teams seem to have a lot of those bust country citizens. :))

Dude everyone in this thread is discussing why some players from Finland appear to be injury prone.

You are the only person in this thread who mentioned the word bust (3 times) so I’m not sure why you are so upset.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I thought we went through this about Laine already. A knee in the recent preseason game was not his M.O. before he became a Hab.

He had some good play in WPG in his 1st season, and the spiraled.

He's been a reclamation project ever since he started with CBJ.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think it would have been Tkachuk. There was a lot of smoke from Oilers media about him leading up to the draft.

Yeah that would have been something. Imagine him on McDavid's wing.

There was also the rumours Montreal wanted PLD and we potentially could have made a much worse trade for PK Subban. Wouldn't have done the Hall for Larsson trade. Lot of dominos fell when Puljujarvi dropped that spot. Chiarelli stated something along the lines of drafting Puljujarvi made doing the Hall trade easier.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
JP's hips have been an issue sure but it's more his lack of hockey sense that has held him back. Laine couldn't have done anything to avoid being kneehunted by a goon. Juolevi is really the only one of those three who qualifies.

Patrick Laine hasn't played a full NHL season since 2019, and only twice since 2016.

At some point, its on him for not protecting himself.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Patrick Laine hasn't played a full NHL season since 2019, and only twice since 2016.

At some point, its on him for not protecting himself.

So if somebody blatantly knees Matthews and puts him out for 3+ months, that's on him? After all, he has only played a full season once in his career.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
So if somebody blatantly knees Matthews and puts him out for 3+ months, that's on him? After all, he has only played a full season once in his career.

You can try to gaslight all you want, but nothing about Pare hitting Laine was blatant. Laine made a dumb decision trying to split two defenders (while another was still behind them?) and got caught going through.

Also, Matthews has played an entire season more games than Laine since they were drafted

Reactions: Devonator

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
You can try to gaslight all you want, but nothing about Pare hitting Laine was blatant. Laine made a dumb decision trying to split two defenders (while another was still behind them?) and got caught going through.

Also, Matthews has played an entire season more games than Laine since they were drafted

Soooo no, the same standard does not apply. Just wanted to make sure.

Reactions: Samhockey3

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Puljujarvi seems to be playing his way on to the NHL roster for the Penguins. He's looked quite decent in the pre-season. Hopefully he can keep it up. I'd really like it if he was able to rebound a bit.

Reactions: DaveG

lawrence

May 19, 2012
stats wise I thought Juolevi should have gotten more points considering he was literally one of the most stacked teams in OHL history. that was red flags already, but draft is such a crap shoot. even if you look at 25 years of first round pick data, theres at least 2-3 picks that totally bust. So 20% chance at a top 10 pick being a total flop.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Pare was a goon, he would have fought Wi-Fi instead of running away.

"Way to early" is stretching it. The Canucks should definitely have taken Tkachuk with their pick instead, even without hindsight. But he was solidly rated in the Top 10 by most scouts. Injuries definitely derailed his development and ended up sewering his career.

I'd put him and Laine in the same injury prone tier... Pool Party turned out to just not have an NHL mind.

Joulevi was ranked around 15 to 20 in the scouting reports I saw

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
With Pulju it always was a concern that he might just be a bit slow. His english was way worse than avg 15y olds in Finland have.

And he trained too much and too hard which caused him to broke his body.

Fault lies in his agent, his parents and himself. Hire a english tutor. Pay a top dollar to have great fitness/offseason coach.

Pulju was that guy who without warming up went to do benchpress with max weight.

Reactions: DaveG

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
In The red Wings we used to have a rule to not draft Finns.

Pulju is a great example of why. Can't communicate w/ English. His hips are already shot from squatting max weight all the time.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Could be possible they all overtrained at too young an age. This led to injuries down the road.

One theory anyways.

Honka was another one that I thought would be exceptional.

Czechs are worse if it is any consolation... Zadina, Kaut, Hajek, Zboril and Vrana come to mind. Then Voracek, O. Kase and Chytil all with big concussion issues. I actually get it when scouts don't draft us anymore.lol

Now Kulich seems to be a bench warmer and people don't like Jiricek's skating.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
JP's hips have been an issue sure but it's more his lack of hockey sense that has held him back. Laine couldn't have done anything to avoid being kneehunted by a goon. Juolevi is really the only one of those three who qualifies.
ehhhhh Laine's had major injury issues before this pre-season. I think both he and Juolevi have been victims of unfortunate circumstance.

JP is 100% his hockey sense though regardless of injuries, at the least he has the size that he should have been able to make himself into a bottom 6 grinder but he hasn't even been able to adapt to do that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Juolevi wasnt even a finalist for OHL d-man of the year. Nor was he top 5.

Sergachev (same draft class) won it, youngest guy to do it in awhile. So even if you went by people who watch OHL exclusively, they weren't high on him amongst d-man in the same class and in the same league.
Even that guy who works for stathletes who does the analytics for the OHL said at the draft he has no idea why juolevi is rated so high, his underlying were trash compared to Serg and Chychrun. They weren't even better than Victor Mete who played more minutes than Juolevi

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Joulevi was ranked around 15 to 20 in the scouting reports I saw

Yeah I recall him being called a safe pick but lacking the upside of Sergachev and Chychrun. I was both surprised he went off the board before both and was shocked Chychrun dropped as far as he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad