Juolevi, Laine & Puljujärvi.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I know there are people that would and could debate about their actual talent level back in the days etc. Even if Laine clearly showed what he could do early on.
But isn't it pretty darn insane that all those highly touted Finnish prospects from the same draft have been so injury prone? I mean like on a whole other level. On that kind of level that makes it almost impossible if not in fact impossible to reach your full potential. Almost like there was a spell on those Finnish prospects from that particular round and draft year.

Dubois has been controversial. Alex Nylander looked a lot more promising than what he has achieved so far as well.
Jost another one. Borgström...
I mean there are some good picks from that draft as well, don't get me wrong. Mostly from NA though. But those three finns.

My question is, has something close to this ever happened before? Like three out of top5 picks from the same draft that get injured on that level?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If all 3 lived up to their potential that's the best Finnish draft class in history and the Finnish national team would have been a step up from where it's at for a decade.

Reactions: wetcoast

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
JP's hips have been an issue sure but it's more his lack of hockey sense that has held him back. Laine couldn't have done anything to avoid being kneehunted by a goon. Juolevi is really the only one of those three who qualifies.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Honestly feeling pretty happy for Juolevi insofar as he returned to Finland, but was able to capture the championship last year for Tappara.

Obviously it never panned out for him in the NHL, but he ended up with more hardware than most players do in their careers.
I'd love to see him return and sneak onto another NHL roster somehow, but he has been with a lot of orgs.

Edit: On the subject of injury, he also played 65 games last season, which is the most he played since 2016/2017 (his final junior year). Sami Salo-inspired bad injury luck.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure your point.

Laine and Pulijarvi were predicted to 2 and 3. Debois was the surprise pick and Juolevi was a shock pick for some.

The 2016 draft unfolded for the first about 10 to 15 accept for the BJS passing on Pulijarvi and the canucks drafting Juolevi way to early

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Was Puljujärvi particularly injury prone? He had hip surgery in his draft+3 season, but other than that he seemed to just be kinda bad. I didn't get the impression that his skating held him back before that surgery either. He just skated to the wrong spots.

The 2000 draft probably has it beat regardless. DiPietro and Heatley went #1 and #2, and both careers were irrevocably damaged by injuries.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Pretty crazy how no one was talking about Aho, and still aren't.

He has ended up being the best one by a mile.

Regardless of injuries, the other 3 were nowhere as good as touted even when healthy. Laine was good at scoring goals, but never came close to the hype level. Puljujarvi was likely 100% a product of Aho.

It's quite possible all 3 only looked as good in the tournament as they did, because Aho is the water that lifts all boats.

Selanne knew what was up.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Laine is injured all the time and spends his time w/ PlayStation.
Pulju is a crackpot.
Juolevi was overhyped 100x by the Finnish dick riders.

When has Finland developed real talent? Like never? Just some ok grinders but not real stars.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That 2016 U20 roster was nasty. I tuned in to watch Rantanen, but Puljujarvi, Aho, and Laine were the stars that year. Juolevi had a great tournament too. Definitely a surprising result in the end.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
JP's hips have been an issue sure but it's more his lack of hockey sense that has held him back. Laine couldn't have done anything to avoid being kneehunted by a goon. Juolevi is really the only one of those three who qualifies.
What?

1 - Laine wasn't kneehunted by anyone
2 - He absolutely could have done something to avoid it
3 - An event in September 2024 didn't cause him to miss 64 games in 23/24, 27 games in 22/23, 26 games in 21/22 and 10 games in 20/21.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Was Puljujärvi particularly injury prone? He had hip surgery in his draft+3 season, but other than that he seemed to just be kinda bad. I didn't get the impression that his skating held him back before that surgery either. He just skated to the wrong spots.

The 2000 draft probably has it beat regardless. DiPietro and Heatley went #1 and #2, and both careers were irrevocably damaged by injuries.
He’s just busy prone lol

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Paganism and sorcery has been common in Finnish regions since at least the 17th century. Could come down to something as simple as needing a healing charm when prospects make their way across the Atlantic.
Maybe this is the problem.

Too many Finnish prospects are too reliant on witchcraft and black magick to get them to the NHL, instead of practicing their skating or shooting they are reading grimoires and creating alchemical potions, that stuff is much weaker in North America.

I heard Laine wasn't even asking for a monetary aspect of his next contract he just demanded "unlimited chickens and amulets"

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
There was one Oilers training camp that Puljujarvi looked great but it never translated to the regular season. He looks great very briefly and then gets lost on the ice for the next 10-15 games and can't seem to get much done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad