GDT: July 1st Free Agency - ALL PENGUINS TALK HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Does anyone have a stream for NHL network or any other network carrying coverage?
Edit: Nevermind, it is streaming for free on NHL.com

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I'd definitely be interested to see if he could return a top 6 forward. If he can, it's a no brainer to deal him if you can sign Ehrhoff.

Yep. If you manage to land Ehrhoff then the teams that missed out would probably pay up to acquire Martin. Smart asset management. And I love Martin.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Move him since he isn't likely to sign an extension. He has real value and would bring back needed forward help. Oli can take his minutes and may allow Pens to get back into the Nisky range. My guess is Nisky will get a contract just to rich for the Pens even with a trade of martin.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I think you're right and that it's tied into the new Canadian TV deal. So disappointing.

Not that TSN is outstanding, what with their 35 guys in the studio, but McKenzie alone blows away any of these guys at Sportsnet.

The only guy I even like is Darren Pang.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yep. If you manage to land Ehrhoff then the teams that missed out would probably pay up to acquire Martin. Smart asset management. And I love Martin.

I just don't know if a team would take the chance on giving us such a return and losing him in free agency in a year. JR would need to let a GM talk to his agent.

A team like the Oilers would never attract him in free agency. Wonder if they'd pay up.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sign Ehrhoff then try to bundle Martin AND Sceduri for a top 6 winger :laugh: If you want PM, you have to take Scuds!

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Assuming you can get Ehrhoff for a reasonable cap hit and term.

For sure. I'd probably go as high as $5 mil/per on a five year deal. Any longer or at a higher salary and I back off. Wonder if he'd accept less from a contender considering he's already getting his money from Buffalo.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
no thanks on Cammy. Pens need to get Kulemin and put him on LW with Geno. Add the Nashville netter and you have something.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I know a bunch of people have mentioned Downie this past week, but geez... isn't the guy still dealing with PCS? He was really screwed up for awhile there in Philly and actually tried to play through it at one point, making it worse.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I just don't know if a team would take the chance on giving us such a return and losing him in free agency in a year. JR would need to let a GM talk to his agent.

A team like the Oilers would never attract him in free agency. Wonder if they'd pay up.

I would be fine with allowing other GM's to talk to his agent. Anything to squeeze out as much value as possible. Worst case, you dump Scuderi somehow and keep Martin for the season.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I'm home in time. I'm half pumped and half worried. Go get Kulemin, some grit, and dump some salary going forward. We can always go above the cap today if need be.

Get it done, JR.

I'm following along at my parent's cottage with one intermittent bar of cellphone signal. I'm going to miss everything. :cry:

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
if you move PM, try to extract a 2015 first rounder from a team that doesn't believe they'll sniff the lottery - and then hope they disappoint. e.g., Minnesota, Detroit

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't want to move Paul Martin at all. If we do it would have to be a hefty return coming our way.

This^. With Martin and Niskanen gone, we're really putting A LOT of faith in probably too man of our young guys for this season. No doubt that they all have a bright future, but I'm not sure we can really contend with a D corps of 3 or 4 young guys. I would like to extend Martin, and we should get an idea if he would want to stay before we move him.

I'd love Downie. He's crazy but if he plays for the Pens I'd love him.

Downie is certainly intriguing and could be great here, but didn't we just trade a guy (Neal) because he took too many dumb and inopportune penalties? Same can be said about Comeau. Remember the playoff series with CLB? I think he had 3 or 4 bad penalties in one game in that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad