Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would tell someone that thought Roy could be a Calder candidate this season that they are insane, too.
I thought he might be in the mix. If he's in the top six, he can be a productive player but he's not going to lead a 3rd line anywhere... :laugh:

I think if he's in the top six, he's probably good for around 40 points.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I've saw this mentioned a few times here and also on Twitter, but no one ever elaborates. But then you see things since he was drafted, like cleaning up his diet, etc. that seem to suggest he does make good decisions outside the rink. So I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt.

There has been numerous vague mentions in media about Roy being a party boy and his decision making off-the-ice being his biggest hurdle.

He turned things around once traded to Sherbrooke but it’s another thing to keep at it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still young and developing. A bit more time won't hurt him. Same with Mailloux
The reality is that some guys won't make it. We know this. There are always guys who either get hurt or don't live up to expectations or whatever... that's just the nature of prospects. But going down when you aren't playing well has happened forever. It's not the end of the journey. Paccioretty went up and down and came back much stronger. This is just the normal course of development.

It's disapointing. I was really hoping he'd have a strong camp but the whole club stunk. Hopefully he goes back and kills it in Laval. If he does, he won't be don't there for long. I still think he's a really good prospect with top six potential.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Serious question do you see him reacting the same way as Armia did if he was sent to Laval to work on that confidence...
Or would he simply be one humongous distraction?

Considering he spent his entire off-season with Adam Nicholas, I would say that he earned not being demoted.. and if they did demote him, I don't think he would be a distraction but again not how a team will operate at this point.

I thought he might be in the mix. If he's in the top six, he can be a productive player but he's not going to lead a 3rd line anywhere... :laugh:

I think if he's in the top six, he's probably good for around 40 points.

Just no way with Hutson, Celebrini and Michkov.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So was Hyman and Kaprizov, whats your point? He has lots of potential even if its more of a long shot he can reach his ceiling and maintain it
Hyman in particular was also known by his coaches as being the hardest working player on & off the ice and most dedicated to his profession…

Professional dedication seems to be an issue with Roy at the moment…

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Considering he spent his entire off-season with Adam Nicholas, I would say that he earned not being demoted.. and if they did demote him, I don't think he would be a distraction but again not how a team will operate at this point.
He's a vet and he's not getting cut. They'll give him every opportunity and unfortunately, Roy didn't give them a reason to put him in the top six instead.

But it's a bit of a viscious circle. Roy is going to play a lot better with skilled guys. If they put him with scrubs, I don't see him elevating those kinds of guys to make it to the top six. He just needs to be given an opportunity.

And... this may not be the time for him yet. If they feel he's not ready then they can just put him in Laval.
Just no way with Hutson, Celebrini and Michkov.
That's fine. But I thought he had the potential to be among the best rookies this season. Michkov or Celebrini? No. :laugh: Not that good.

But I thought he'd get votes and be in the top ten somewhere if he got top six. 40 points would be a great year and given the chance I think he could get there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hyman in particular was also known by his coaches as being the hardest working player on & off the ice and most dedicated to his profession…

Is it?

That was the slag against him and he worked really hard to correct it. Improved his two way play and worked his way into a pretty good player. No way he'd be going in the 5th in a redraft.

What makes you say he's not dedicated?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
It has... And that's a shame.

It'd be great to have a really good offensive player playing in Montreal for a change. Who was the last one? Turgeon? You have to go back a long way.

Latendresse had potential but concussions derailed him.
Alex Tanguay

It's more about the consistency of the said dedication.

Reactions: salbutera

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Still young and developing. A bit more time won't hurt him. Same with Mailloux
Both have skating limitations. In today's NHL, that is a major hurdle to overcome. If these limitations are not overcome both these players will not be in the organization in two years.

Reactions: Jaynki

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval

Sure but I was replying to some kind of snake boisvert disciple who said he has no potential because he was a 5th rounder.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It's disapointing. I was really hoping he'd have a strong camp but the whole club stunk. Hopefully he goes back and kills it in Laval. If he does, he won't be don't there for long. I still think he's a really good prospect with top six potential.
I'm pointing this comment from you but not targetting you in particular. It's just that I see very often this argument here and while I can see the idea behind it, I don't think it applies to Roy. Like many observed, he didn't looked involved or deeply motivated. It is not simply the lack of production, it was his attitude. The team around him does not have many impact on that.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Sure but I was replying to some kind of snake boisvert disciple who said he has no potential because he was a 5th rounder.
I’m the farthest you can be from a disciple of his but . . . how many 5th round picks make the NHL, let alone are “brimming with potential?” The correct answer is very, very few. The numbers don’t don’t lie.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Lesson:

Don't get overly invested in your opinions of prospects. Particularly ones that were 5th round picks. I still see Roy as having a max ceiling of Tyler Toffoli, but that's a low probability scenario. Please hope....but recognize that players like this come along all the time and only very few hit their ceilings.

Our leg up is that we have a bunch of these guys pushing eachother, which increases the likelihood of at least 1 hitting.

For now....Kap looks like he has taken the lead in this group.

Reactions: Jaynki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad