Player Discussion Joshua Roy

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
That is the main problem with Roy. Fit.

Small offensive winger who brings meager offensive rarely are good fits in strong NHL teams. Not good enough for a top-6. Not well-suited for a bottom six as he don't brings speed, size, physicality, strong defensive acuity, toughness, etc.
6'0" 187 is small?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Doesn't get the respect here, but gets it in the room. That's all the matters, we're just a bunch of idiots anyways for the most part ;)
Most didn’t watch him play in Laval. He did exactly the same things down there and has had success. Fast. Hits. Will fight. Scores the odd goal. Good on him.

I wonder what would’ve changed had Laine not been hurt? Anyway, I really hope they put Kapanen and Heineman in a position to succeed. Hopefully Roy goes to Laval with the right attitude. He can easily be a leading scorer down there.

Reactions: Don D

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
That's what a long term contract with a lot of money does for you.

It’s a sunk cost though, Anderson is untradable and will remain so. If you can replace him with a player on ELC what is the downside? I just don’t get it.

I just hope they don’t wait another 2 full seasons to go this way which is the obvious way Anderson’s time in Montreal will conclude.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It’s a sunk cost though, Anderson is untradable and will remain so. If you can replace him with a player on ELC what is the downside? I just don’t get it.

I just hope they don’t wait another 2 full seasons to go this way which is the obvious way Anderson’s time in Montreal will conclude.

It's just the way that it is.. they acquired him and played him, and until the organization feels there is no other possibility for the player, then the term and contract buys them multiple opportunities.

Clearly they still feel that they can get Anderson back to being a net positive player to the team and that throwing the towel in on him at this point is premature.

We can disagree on that, but that's just the way it works. If Anderson has another terrible season, maybe things change, but this was always the outcome here. They felt he had bad luck last year and then spiraled into a lack of confidence. He spent an entire off-season with Adam Nicholas and put in some work.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Oh no, a 5th round pick was cut in training camp in his 2nd professional season.
Well I don't know, but last time I said people should keep expectations realistic on Roy because he has attitude issues while they were discussing about him being a Calder candidate this season, I was told I was full of shit.

So you might just take a seat on that one.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well I don't know, but last time I said people should keep expectations realistic on Roy because he has attitude issues while they were discussing about him being a Calder candidate this season, I was told I was full of shit.

So you might just take a seat on that one.

I would tell someone that thought Roy could be a Calder candidate this season that they are insane, too.

I don't think it requires me to take a seat when both sides of the argument are equally out to lunch.

Reactions: Habby4Life

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
It's just the way that it is.. they acquired him and played him, and until the organization feels there is no other possibility for the player, then the term and contract buys them multiple opportunities.

Clearly they still feel that they can get Anderson back to being a net positive player to the team and that throwing the towel in on him at this point is premature.

We can disagree on that, but that's just the way it works. If Anderson has another terrible season, maybe things change, but this was always the outcome here. They felt he had bad luck last year and then spiraled into a lack of confidence. He spent an entire off-season with Adam Nicholas and put in some work.
Back to????

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t have much expectations for Roy this year. I think he’s undoubtedly an NHLer. Hes not a top 6 at this point though, but he should be given an opportunity to show he can be.
Hopefully this demotion really gets him training and practicing hard to be the best version of himself and ready for his next NHL opportunity.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I am still a fan of Joshua Roy. I didn't think his camp was all that bad. Never a bad thing to make them earn more time.
I'm hoping this is more of a message that they expect more from him and to not get too comfortable because there are other players more deserving than him to get waived/sent down.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
6'0" 187 is small?
Not necessarily but he don't bring size to the line-up. Role players have to bring something to the table and size is something accounted for.

yeesh

he is young, live and learn

There is a lot of blabla in St Georges de Beauce about his outside-the-rink choice. He don't have a good reputation down there.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Well just goes to show you that I have no clue what I am talking about 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I've been thinking why so much hype on this guy well c'est un Quebecois but seriously what he's done before the NHL doesn't count its what he brings now maybe a couple years in the AHL and hopefully he realise that he needs to work a lot harder in every aspect of his life.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
There is a lot of blabla in St Georges de Beauce about his outside-the-rink choice. He don't have a good reputation down there.

I've saw this mentioned a few times here and also on Twitter, but no one ever elaborates. But then you see things since he was drafted, like cleaning up his diet, etc. that seem to suggest he does make good decisions outside the rink. So I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't understand how you guys can be suprised he was complete dog meat , Although I agree that Anderson should get the AXE as well.

You guys are acting like Roy is a vet that has done anything for us here so far lol
They can't axe Anderson now. He and Gallagher have expensive deals that you can't just get rid of. They're fine for the bottom six for now. They're decent in that role and it's not going to hurt us. But it's an expensive bottom six. :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Serious question do you see him reacting the same way as Armia did if he was sent to Laval to work on that confidence...
Or would he simply be one humongous distraction?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wasn’t Roy rumored to be part of a package for Zegras?
I'd be surprised if they moved him. Young player brimming with potential. And he's also French.

It'd be nice to have a French scoring player here, it's been a while... and David Desharnais doesn't count. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad