Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Clock is ticking?

He played ~30 games in the NHL as a rookie in the AHL and did well.

Taking a step back in camp and earning his way back isn't anything that sets off alarm bells.

I guarantee you, no one in the Habs organization woke up today worried about the clock on Joshua Roy.
I think he will certainly have a NHL career but clock is ticking.

There is no place in the top 6 for him(Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Laine, Dach, Demidov). And he will have to compete against the likes of Hage, Kapanen, Newhook, Heinema, Anderson for bottom six role. That is barring any acquisition on the trade or UFA market.

I don't think he has a future here to be honest.

Overreacting to this degree cannot be healthy.
Overreacting on what?

Roy is what he is. Not a big deal as the top 6 is already congestionated and we already have better suited role player than him. Him not becoming a top-6 fixture changes nothing to the future succes of our team.

Small forward who brings nothing else than meager offense are so easily accessible and have no real tangible value. Roy unfortunately is falling in this category.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Overreacting to this degree cannot be healthy.
Yeah I'd consider this an overraction too.

Roy doesn't look like the type of guy to look good in training camps. But one thing he did seem to have last season was the ability to always find plays that ended up in scoring chances. He just doesn't look particularly impressive in most plays, a quiet but effective player. He's 21. He'll find a way to get back up.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He will be back at some point..................but in all honesty, last year he got the call only because of the injury situation.
Kid has talent, and has to find another gear if he is to play pro.

Reminds of a good quote, I used to think of, during my career.................Adversity does not create character.............it reveals it.

Stay tuned on this file....

He will be back at some point..................but in all honesty, last year he got the call only because of the injury situation.
Kid has talent, and has to find another gear if he is to play pro.

Reminds of a good quote, I used to think of, during my career.................Adversity does not create character.............it reveals it.

Stay tuned on this file....

Reactions: Habs Halifax

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
No one looked good the whole camp. A shift here and there, but generally everyone looked disinterested. I wouldn’t write him off just yet. I’ll bet guys get a few games before a final decision is made. They have to see who gels with who still.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I think this is gonna be good for him long term. He’s hard working and has reacted well to disappointment in the past, he’s gonna be a solid middle 6 winger I’m sure of it, he’s still very young and will be back up here soon enough.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Its a matter of fit and role.

Its a ''skill'' in itself to be the 13th forward. Worst minute of the team. Lowest salary. He is like the janitor of the team.

And a better fit than Roy for the role.
..thanks for clearing that up.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Clock is ticking man.

Guy has no clear role, no identity, don't bring much to the table aside meager offense, and its pushing pretty hard behind him.
He's 21 years old, I think this is a little dramatic. Heineman and Kapanen were both 2nd round picks from 2020/2021. There's no shame being a touch behind them at this exact snapshot in time, it's not like he got passed on our depth chart by a couple of no-name bums. I think it's probably just as simple as Heineman fits better on a fourth line while Kapanen had a better camp than Roy and can't be sent to the AHL so they're taking a longer look. It's not a bad thing that we have competition and a player like Roy is pressured to up his game.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
As others have stated or hinted, Roy game shines in slower and tight games and less so in disorganized run-and-gun hockey tipycal of preseason. He is a chess player.

And as for his spot on the team, we need to remember that we need 10 players to fill a top 9 because of injuries. The stats are a decade old, but on average in a regurlar season, 50% of players will be injured and miss at least one game. The average games lost to injury is around 9 games.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He's 21 years old, I think this is a little dramatic. Heineman and Kapanen were both 2nd round picks from 2020/2021. There's no shame being a touch behind them at this exact snapshot in time, it's not like he got passed on our depth chart by a couple of no-name bums. I think it's probably just as simple as Heineman fits better on a fourth line while Kapanen had a better camp than Roy and can't be sent to the AHL so they're taking a longer look. It's not a bad thing that we have competition and a player like Roy is pressured to up his game.

That is the main problem with Roy. Fit.

Small offensive winger who brings meager offensive rarely are good fits in strong NHL teams. Not good enough for a top-6. Not well-suited for a bottom six as he don't brings speed, size, physicality, strong defensive acuity, toughness, etc.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Small offensive winger who brings meager offensive rarely are good fits in strong NHL teams. Not good enough for a top-6. Not well-suited for a bottom six as he don't brings speed, size, physicality, strong defensive acuity, toughness, etc.

At this rate, there would be zero players in our Top-6.
Besides, there's a timeline and a planet in which Joshua Roy is a small player. It's just not those we're living in and on.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
At this rate, there would be zero players in our Top-6.
Care to elaborate?

Our top 6 is as good as it's ever been since at least one decade. (Im counting Laine) (And its not like its a big statement in itself)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pez never gets any respect no matter what he does :(
Gotta love the guy

Agreed. Pezzetta is a very underrated type of bottom 6F.

As far as Roy playing Laval. I see some panic and overreacting going on. He's not a sure shot top 6F but he has that potential. What's the rush with some in our fan base and media? You wanted a rebuild and you want better development. Well.... that's what our new management is doing and they are much better at it than the basement living fans in their parents house. haha.

Barron was sent down for two reasons last year.
* Higher usage and to work on his 200' game and reliability.
* Waivers exempt when others were not.

Roy is going to be fine. Just let the process play out.

Patch quote from many years ago: "If I don't make top 6, I want to play top 6 in the AHL"

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yep still a prospect and having him play on the 1st line with ample PP time in Laval would not be a bad thing. No rush.
If he needs to go to Laval it’ll be disappointing but they have to do what’s best for him long term.

The problem for him is that he’s going to struggle to priduce on the 3rd line. If they keep him there and don’t play him with talent it’s going to take longer to develop him.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
That is the main problem with Roy. Fit.

Oh I don't agree at all, I think he has a perfectly fine fit in the middle six. Kapanen is staying up for now because he can't be sent to the AHL, and it's not like Armia, Barre-Boulet, and Anderson are elite talents that Roy won't be able displace over the next 4-6 weeks. The NHL has been shifting away from a top six/bottom six league to a top line/middle six/fourth line league for a while now and Roy is going to be just fine in the middle six long term IMO. He's just too smart and too good a passer not to figure it out to be at bare minimum a 3rd line scorer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Clock is ticking man.

Guy has no clear role, no identity, don't bring much to the table aside meager offense, and its pushing pretty hard behind him.
This is overstating it a lot.

He’s a talented young player trying to make it. This is the normal course of development. Not a big deal in the long run.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No one looked good the whole camp. A shift here and there, but generally everyone looked disinterested. I wouldn’t write him off just yet. I’ll bet guys get a few games before a final decision is made. They have to see who gels with who still.
Exactly. It was a bad camp for everyone not named Lane Hutson. And them not playing Roy with talent only makes things harder for him.

He can find his game in Laval and come back. But when he does, I really hope they don’t bury him with Josh Anderson. It’s not the way to develop him if we want him to become a top six player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad