Proposal: Josh Norris for Patrik Laine

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ottawa SHOULD take this and run, but they wouldnt.

Columbus says no either way IMO. Simply too much risk in Norris ATM.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Norris needs a solid and healthy year to be tradeable right now.

Ottawa has lots of young centers so he should be available anyway if he can stay healthy, it's not like he's only going to be available this summer. I'd be surprised if any GM bites right now when they can just wait and see what happens this season.

Sens fans any updates on Josh Norris shoulder injury, timeline for return, will Norris be ready for the start of the regular season?
Based on the maximum expected recovery time for his surgery he should be back in time for camp.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Sens fans any updates on Josh Norris shoulder injury, timeline for return, will Norris be ready for the start of the regular season?

Last update was that he should be ready for training camp, which makes sense based on recovery time from that surgery.

That being said, he wasn't very comfortable coming off his last shoulder surgery and I would expect that he will be very cautious about his return.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange
Feb 5, 2016
Last update was that he should be ready for training camp, which makes sense based on recovery time from that surgery.

That being said, he wasn't very comfortable coming off his last shoulder surgery and I would expect that he will be very cautious about his return.
I would expect the Sens to be very cautious with Norris coming off his 3rd shoulder surgery. If Norris didn’t play until the start of the regular season I wouldn’t blame the Sens for being overly cautious either.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I would expect the Sens to be very cautious with Norris coming off his 3rd shoulder surgery. If Norris didn’t play until the start of the regular season I wouldn’t blame the Sens for being overly cautious either.
Agreed. It will be tough to balance. I had my shoulder scoped a few years ago and it still feels weird sometimes.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'm probably one of the biggest Norris fans on our board. Followed him ever since the EK trade and had really high hopes for him.

I thought the contract was terrible and that he wouldn't be a consistent 40g guy. He's a real issue for the team right now. His 8m gets locked up with uncertainty for the next two years basically hoping he doesn't get reinjured. I think we've missed any buy out period for him with the lower cap penalty.

Nobody is going to take on his contract. Even teams trying to get to the cap floor wouldn't take him because of how many years of on and off play he might have.

Saying this, I would do this trade, even if Laine wasn't the right personnel fit because he might click with Stu and it's only two years until we get some space we could assuredly use.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The answer from the Jackets is still no, because the Norris contract is still a much greater risk given his injury issues and the remaining term.
They just signed Monahan to a 5.5m, long term deal and he was a cap dump two years ago. They seem pretty desperate for centre depth. I’d rather risk Norris spending the rest of his career on LTIR than I would sign that Monahan contract.

But yeah, both are probably really ugly. I wouldn’t take that Norris deal for Laine without a ton of sweetener.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine's deal ought to be attractive to some clubs - you get a potential star player and if it doesn't work you just don't extend him. It's not like the Norris situation, which you'll have to live with until you're old and feeble.

They just signed Monahan to a 5.5m, long term deal and he was a cap dump two years ago. They seem pretty desperate for centre depth. I’d rather risk Norris spending the rest of his career on LTIR than I would sign that Monahan contract.

There's approximately twice as much $$ and cap left on the Norris deal as on the Monahan deal. $50m. It's not comparable.

Yes it's possible that Norris just cleanly ends up on LTIR, but that could also happen with Monahan.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Not sure but he’ll play this season for sure.

Laine is way to emo for the Ottawa crew, Ottawa’s culture isn’t strong enough yet to take on a player like Laine, he’s sick the energy out of the team

The last 4 years Norris has 70 goals and Laine has 56 - ottawa has the better player so no trade

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I stopped reading here because I don't have the patience for this contrarian nonsense. The answer is no. Deal with it.
He is a guy who was a cap dump 2 years ago, after a laundry list of injuries and decline in play. What do they do? 5.5m x 5 years. It’s very valid and will probably go down as one of the most bizarre and bad contracts in recent history. Love Monahan and if it was 1-2 years, whatever but that is insane.

It’s very relèvent and to me, if they’re willing to take that big of a risk to get someone up the middle, it may have made sense to peruse Norris. I wouldn’t want both of those contracts on my team though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad