Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wonder if it's the same people who in the offseason were saying we need to give Norris extra time to make sure he's 100% that are now complaining when the team says they have a plan and are erring on the side of caution even though he's feeling good and doing well.

There really hasn't been any indication that there is a problem, the team has proactively decided to take it slow, I don't know how big a difference taking it slow vs treating him like everyone else really would make in the last week of a 6 month recovery schedule, but it's what they've chosen to do.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Once again, I will place my trust in management as they are more aware of the situation than we are.
Well absolutely and also we don’t have any other choice.

But he is not 100% as we were told. Which again. Is fine and the reality of the sports world. But we are in a sports discussion board lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

But he is not 100% as we were told. Which again. Is fine and the reality of the sports world. But we are in a sports discussion board lol
when were we told that? that he is not 100% ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What are you basing this on?

Seems like they are in the evaluation stage, they are ramping up his activities to see how he responds, so far it doesn't look like there has been any negative feedback.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Reporters saying everything is fine and this is all planned

Mick telling everyone to chill because this is the plan

This doesn't feel familiar at all :sarcasm:

Now obviously Norris didn't have an admitted set back and he didn't start camp in a no contact jersey but I understand the worry some have until we actually see him in game action and a full participant

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Reporters saying everything is fine and this is all planned

Mick telling everyone to chill because this is the plan

This doesn't feel familiar at all :sarcasm:

Now obviously Norris didn't have an admitted set back and he didn't start camp in a no contact jersey but I understand the worry some have until we actually see him in game action and a full participant

Both those tweets were before Norris tweaked his shoulder and had a setback (happened in October). So reporters reporting that things are going fine before they don't isn't really the gotcha you think it is.

Nothing was wrong last time until something went wrong. Right now, nothing has gone wrong. Acting like this is just a precursor to something going wrong is re-writing how last year went.

Norris didn't even shed the non-contact jersey until the 6th day of camp last year, just a day or two before that Mendes Tweet.

Last edited:
Reactions: DueDiligence

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Both those tweets were before Norris tweaked his shoulder and had a setback (happened in October). So reporters reporting that things are going fine before they don't isn't really the gotcha you think it is.

Nothing was wrong last time until something went wrong. Right now, nothing has gone wrong. Acting like this is just a precursor to something going wrong is re-writing how last year went.

Norris didn't even shed the non-contact jersey until the 6th day of camp last year, just a day or two before that Mendes Tweet.
So you dont think after another surgery since a minor tweak after he was apparently 100 percent last time isnt something to worry about after missing two practice days and still not dressing for an exhibition game?

It was naive to begin with to expect him to be back this year and healthy to what he was before the injuries.

Now he isnt playing again and you're saying theres nothing to worry about.

Personally I dont have him on the team I dont consider him a piece moving forward. If he is great but to count on it... Well thats up to you.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If he's 100% healthy, what exactly is there to err on the side of caution?

Really looking forward to him actually being healthy as demonstrated by extended play on ice.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens could be using the extra time to put Norris through the paces in practice to help him gain confidence and be far less tentative than he was when he started playing games last year. They want him 100% and they want him feeling like he can give it 100% without holding back thinking about his shoulder.

Just a possibility. The Norris we saw last year should not be a 2C on this team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sens could be using the extra time to put Norris through the paces in practice to help him gain confidence and be far less tentative than he was when he started playing games last year. They want him 100% and they want him feeling like he can give it 100% without holding back thinking about his shoulder.

Just a possibility. The Norris we saw last year should not be a 2C on this team.
Yeah I actually think it’s a good idea to do exactly what you say if that is in fact the case.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I’m as big a Norris supporter as anyone but Pinto is really,really good.

If Norris gets back on track, I’d put Stu on the wing in a year or 2 and run Pinto, Norris and Ostapchuk/Greig down the middle. Stu could be Kane or Kuch on the wing.
No. Stützle is a CENTER. He is this teams number 1 CENTER. He plays best at CENTER. He is our best CENTER.

Reactions: DrEasy and Masked

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If he's 100% healthy, what exactly is there to err on the side of caution?

Really looking forward to him actually being healthy as demonstrated by extended play on ice.
What's to gain by paying him in a bunch of early exhibition games when guys are trying to make a name for themselves. Play him in the last few when rosters are close to being set.

Reactions: Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No. Stützle is a CENTER. He is this teams number 1 CENTER. He plays best at CENTER. He is our best CENTER.
He’s not yet a two way centre. We’ve seen great skill drive play from the wing. It doesn’t matter unless Pinto and Norris show out as top 6 centres in the next couple years and Stutzle doesn’t improve defensively.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
What's to gain by paying him in a bunch of early exhibition games when guys are trying to make a name for themselves. Play him in the last few when rosters are close to being set.
Hmmm this sounds familiar...
1727209703410.png

"It's Deja vu all over again" - Yogi Berra

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Why do we play Chabot, Tkachuk, etc in exhibition games.

The pre-season and training camp serves an important purpose. Yes, that purpose is different for a veteran than a fringe NHLer. I don't think it is ideal for any player to play their first game of the year in the regular season.

People have questions because the Senators haven't been completely transparent about why he isn't playing. They have claimed caution, but they haven't clarified why they feel the need to be cautious. Being cautious would imply that there is a greater chance of re-injury in September than their would be a month later when the season opens. So is the issue that he needs more time? Or is the issue that he is as healed as he is ever going to be, and because they are unsure about whether he can make it through multiple games they are going to wait for the season to play him?

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Hmmm this sounds familiar...
View attachment 909315

"It's Deja vu all over again" - Yogi Berra
Maybe and maybe not.

The pre-season and training camp serves an important purpose. Yes, that purpose is different for a veteran than a fringe NHLer. I don't think it is ideal for any player to play their first game of the year in the regular season.

People have questions because the Senators haven't been completely transparent about why he isn't playing. They have claimed caution, but they haven't clarified why they feel the need to be cautious. Being cautious would imply that there is a greater chance of re-injury in September than their would be a month later when the season opens. So is the issue that he needs more time? Or is the issue that he is as healed as he is ever going to be, and because they are unsure about whether he can make it through multiple games they are going to wait for the season to play him?
Because the NHL mandates that you must play a minimum number of vets. So some guys have to play. Guaranteed that teams would hold most guys out until the last 2-3 games if they could.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Maybe and maybe not.

Because the NHL mandates that you must play a minimum number of vets. So some guys have to play. Guaranteed that teams would hold most guys out until the last 2-3 games if they could.
And so just randomly they kept Norris out but decided to play Chabot, who is himself coming back from surgery?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And so just randomly they kept Norris out but decided to play Chabot, who is himself coming back from surgery?
One is a 4 month longer recovery, and on his third one.

You have to play basically 50% vets minimum. You can look up the games required, and players required.
100 I think
First round pick

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

What’s to gain? This is a guy who’s barely played over the last 2 years. If anyone needs game reps to get back up to speed, even if they’re just preseason reps, it’s him.

At this point, I’m of the mind that Josh Norris is not going to be a regular fixture on this team moving forward.

If he is, great, that’s a bonus. But you can’t trust it.

I think the priority has to be getting Greig time at C and building chemistry with wingers, because he’s going to be our 3rd line C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad