Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Unless he bounces back to a 35g form, I wouldn't want to gamble on his shoulder staying healthy.

With Pinto in the line up, we have our C depth ready, and Norris might not be good or healthy enough for the wing.

Whatever his production is, we can replace it with other emerging talent or address other needs in the roster with his $8 million in capspace. It sucks, but his contract is the biggest question mark on the roster.
If he comes back and has an average season like 25-25 for example, if you’re able to trade him, you’re likely to take back a bad contract. So the idea of saving the 8 million isn’t quite so appealing. Dubois for Kuemper is a good example.

We should keep in mind the version of Norris we see next year, even if his shoulder feels as good as it possibly can and recovery is going well, is still going to be pretty far off from what he can be. He’s missed a ton of development time, has less than 200 NHL games under his belt and will have spent the last two summers rehabilitating.

I think putting expectations on him to be a 35+ goal scorer or else we move him is just setting him up for failure.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it will be more his body language on the ice and how he plays, not his points.

If he's engaged physically, and is still engaged after taking a few hits during the year, and looks positive and 'dialed in' all season, then the contract won't be a poison pill.

Reactions: LiseL

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If only he (the doctor) had been watching a crackpot podcaster instead of reading all those fancy science papers.
The post was to inform people here about another form of rehabilitation that many athletes use, not to inform the Doctor. None of us know what exactly is going on but we all hope Norris can get healthy and becomes the standout we all hope for. It appears what ever they have been doing up to this point is just a bandaid. I don't know about you but in the past I have relied on many doctors for one issue I had physically only to be discouraged at their level of knowledge out side their specific field. If it were not for me being a diligent person and seeking out other professionals I probably would have had an addiction to OxyContin and 2 surgery's by now.

His podcasts have covered a variety of subjects over the years you can't really find anywhere else. He is far from impractical my friend.

The surgery may be part of the problem.

Reactions: aragorn

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I don’t think this is true or fair to Norris - he was the one forward who really played Martin’s style hard and sacrificed offense for depense and really I think was trying to be an example of how they had to play to win.

I’m a big Norris fan and all this smart talk about him will be dumb talk when he comes back and plays well for us, hits and takes hits and scores goals.

One of the main reasons fans think he looked weird is because he was used completely out of position on the PP where we fell in love with him.
Very noble of you to support a favorite player and hope for the very best outcome. That said, his health record is fact (truth). It is perfectly fair for people to hold a serious view of the player's prospects. The observations made have been accurate - Norris was never a banger and crasher to begin with, but he did play even more tentatively on multiple returns from injury. Norris was just beginning to engage a bit more physically when he fell into that net injuring his shoulder yet again. It is fair for people to observe his record of injury time away. I don't see people blaming him personally, just observing history. His shoulders have been injured, repaired multiple times and therefore it is logical to view them as suspect, period. Fans are being honest, not malicious. It makes sense to be concerned about his recovery, and whether he will be able to play effectively. He cannot be successful if he returns and plays a soft peripheral edge game like he is made of glass. These are legitimate questions that do not imply malice or blame. I would bet most people expressing these legitimate concerns (me included) hope the young man returns and amazes the hell out of us. I wish him the very best!

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Well opponents legit just stuck a person on him the entire power play. When he did get the shot off it would be a good shot. And some went in. But yeah he was completely covered most of the time. And that really scrambled the rest of the power plays brain
His shot has been a lethal PP weapon for sure that needs to be called upon.

Bang on... I have a similar concern... Too many Sens players in the past (Debrincat, Heatley, Hoffman) were very successful with that wide-open winger shot to the point that they always went there and just became a one-trick pony. It's not like opposition teams can't figure that out, to your point simply sit a guy on that player. If that's all you've got you are toast. We need PP players like Alfredsson, Stützle who are not only able to do that but also mix it up, bang, engage, get dirty, move around and not be too predictable.

Reactions: LiseL and BigRig4

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Very noble of you to support a favorite player and hope for the very best outcome. That said, his health record is fact (truth). It is perfectly fair for people to hold a serious view of the player's prospects. The observations made have been accurate - Norris was never a banger and crasher to being with, but he did play was even more tentative on multiple returns from injury. Norris was just beginning to engage a bit more physically when he fell into that net injuring his shoulder yet again. It is fair for people to observe his record of injury time away. I don't see people blaming him personally, just observing history. His shoulders have been injured, repaired multiple times and therefore it is logical to view them as suspect, period. Fans are being honest, not malicious. It makes sense to be concerned about his recovery, and whether he will be able to play effectively. He cannot be successful if he returns and plays a soft peripheral edge game like he is made of glass. These are legitimate questions that do not imply malice or blame the player. I would bet most people expressing these legitimate concerns (me included) hope the young man returns and amazes the hell out of us. I wish him the very best!
As others have mentioned, Chabot & Norris staying healthy and playing up to their potential is huge for this team. I don't think that at this point, that either needs to be a 1D or a 1C, just bring their strengths and stay healthy. For Norris, that includes being a solid 2-way Centre and a contributor on the power play. Not sure what that equates to points wise. It's almost like that the point don't really matter. Just stay healthy, get the confidence back and the production will come.

There was definitely something not quite right with him through the first half of the season.
It was great to see him start to get his confidence back and be an effective player in the back half of the season. Unfortunately for him and for the Sens, just as he was rounding into form, he got hurt again and was out for the rest of the season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Very noble of you to support a favorite player and hope for the very best outcome. That said, his health record is fact (truth). It is perfectly fair for people to hold a serious view of the player's prospects. The observations made have been accurate - Norris was never a banger and crasher to begin with, but he did play even more tentatively on multiple returns from injury. Norris was just beginning to engage a bit more physically when he fell into that net injuring his shoulder yet again. It is fair for people to observe his record of injury time away. I don't see people blaming him personally, just observing history. His shoulders have been injured, repaired multiple times and therefore it is logical to view them as suspect, period. Fans are being honest, not malicious. It makes sense to be concerned about his recovery, and whether he will be able to play effectively. He cannot be successful if he returns and plays a soft peripheral edge game like he is made of glass. These are legitimate questions that do not imply malice or blame. I would bet most people expressing these legitimate concerns (me included) hope the young man returns and amazes the hell out of us. I wish him the very best!
Dude I was calling the guy out for big a dick for hoping Norris gets shipped out and not a post showing concern for an injury -

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
He’s an idiot lol,
Is this the episode where he says kids use kitty litter boxes at school.

If Joe Rogan is an idiot what does that make you? I don’t agree with various of his opinions but self made billionaire who is smarter than any of us, entertaining, and could beat us both up blindfolded.

Back to hockey, fingers crossed Norris pulls through as a playoff appearance largely rides on his beat up shoulder. Always liked him and hope he comes to camp 99% ready.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
If Joe Rogan is an idiot what does that make you? I don’t agree with various of his opinions but self made billionaire who is smarter than any of us, entertaining, and could beat us both up blindfolded.

Back to hockey, fingers crossed Norris pulls through as a playoff appearance largely rides on his beat up shoulder. Always liked him and hope he comes to camp 99% ready.
Serious glazing going on over here. Get up buddy, you’re better than that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure what being able to beat up people has to do with not being an idiot, and self made billionaire is one of those things that more often than not had little to do with being smart or not, nor being an idiot or not (I personally think calling someone an idiot typically is used in a different sense than calling someone smart)

Whether Joe Rogan is or isn't a smart guy, I'm not sure, some smart people have really dumb opinions sometimes and what he portrays in public may or not be an accurate reflection of who he is, idk. What he certainly does have, thanks to his talk show, is exposure to a wide breath of people talking about varied subjects, so he's likely learned a lot from that experience, unfortunately not all of the content he exposes himself to is, shall we say, trustworthy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm not sure what being able to beat up people has to do with not being an idiot, and self made billionaire is one of those things that more often than not had little to do with being smart or not, nor being an idiot or not (I personally think calling someone an idiot typically is used in a different sense than calling someone smart)

Whether Joe Rogan is or isn't a smart guy, I'm not sure, some smart people have really dumb opinions sometimes and what he portrays in public may or not be an accurate reflection of who he is, idk. What he certainly does have, thanks to his talk show, is exposure to a wide breath of people talking about varied subjects, so he's likely learned a lot from that experience, unfortunately not all of the content he exposes himself to is, shall we say, trustworthy.
The key there is exposes himself too. many here would rather live in a bubble rather than entertain varied views. My core beliefs make me who I am and a bad comedian won't change that but if he exposes me to ideas that I am able to substantiate then that's the process of learning. Just because he has people on his podcast doesn't make that a reflection of who he is.

Reactions: The Waffler

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah if Norris comes back healthy moving forward, we aren’t trading him.
Not necessarily so.

Coming back healthy does not mean coming back at the same performance level as his first year here nor better than that to justify the $8M AAV multi-year contract.

Trading him might make sense if we get something we value higher than the new Norris, whatever that turns out to be.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Rogan does have legitimate people on his show lol

It’s not him just saying shit
The ratio of illegitimate to legitimate is too high though. That's the problem. I know someone who was on his show and they basically said as much. If 95 doctors believe one thing and 5 believe the other. He'll bring on 2-3 from the minority group and give them a really friendly interview. Meanwhile he'll bring on 1 person from the majority group and give them a really hard interview. Then he acts like he presented 'both sides' in a fair minded way.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Not necessarily so.

Coming back healthy does not mean coming back at the same performance level as his first year here nor better than that to justify the $8M AAV multi-year contract.

Trading him might make sense if we get something we value higher than the new Norris, whatever that turns out to be.
Agreed, for $8M he should be carrying the second line and making his wingers better. I’m not sure Norris has the capabilities for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad