Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
Enough is enough. Stick handling and rushing the puck all the time was exciting and what not last season when everything was already down the drain. Stop with the give aways or go eat popcorn with Pulock. All the skill in the world doesn't make a difference if you can't turn it into actual results.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Enough is enough. Stick handling and rushing the puck all the time was exciting and what not last season when everything was already down the drain. Stop with the give aways or go eat popcorn with Pulock. All the skill in the world doesn't make a difference if you can't turn it into actual results.
This is what everyone who watched him play for years in the OHL was talking about.

I know Islanders fans got excited with JHS last season and ignored his previous on-ice criticisms, but ultimately this has been his main issue, not his character concerns. He has a very high skill level and his skating and stick handling can be mesmerizing, but he ends up being more flash than substance. He needs to stop believing in his own hype and learn K.I.S.S. as his mantra.

Hopefully Weight can reel him in and get him to play a simpler game.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Yea, the picking up the puck in our zone, doing a 180, and trying to outskate the entire opposing team thing ain't cutting it. His speed is definitely an asset, he's just gotta know when to use it. I kinda like the power play rush up the ice drop pass thing to Ho Sang, as long as they don't overdo it, and as long as he doesn't get the puck and again, try to outskate everyone on the other team.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If Ho-Sang stays healthy and is not press boxed throughout the season, he will lead the team in assists at the end of the year. Maybe he will mature or perhaps not, regardless, night in and night out he creates the most high quality offensive opportunities.

I heard random Ducks fans tonight bantering about JHS, overheard one say that he thinks HoSang "will be a superstar in 2 or 3 years", sure just casual fans rambling, but people who don't know his history and have no horse in the race are extremely impressed with his skillset.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Here's a short interesting blurb written about him on the TSN website following the Anaheim game...

"Islanders rookie RW Joshua Ho-Sang had a superb possession game (15 for, 2 against, 88.2 CF%, 11-1 scoring chances) in a 3-2 loss at Anaheim "

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i see nothing wrong (enough) to warrant worry. he is mistake prone, but he has lots of time to learn. his speed creates chances, and draws penalties. IMO, he has the potential to be a 60-70 point, 2-way player.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
If Ho-Sang stays healthy and is not press boxed throughout the season, he will lead the team in assists at the end of the year. Maybe he will mature or perhaps not, regardless, night in and night out he creates the most high quality offensive opportunities.

I heard random Ducks fans tonight bantering about JHS, overheard one say that he thinks HoSang "will be a superstar in 2 or 3 years", sure just casual fans rambling, but people who don't know his history and have no horse in the race are extremely impressed with his skillset.

I have to agree with that; Ho-sang is the kind of player that ends up getting a sneaky amount of points thru secondary assists.

The guy made a few boneheaded plays last night, but ended up getting 2A. He has to improve in some areas, but damn does he have some skills; he made a Tavaresesque move on one of the power plays that made me go “holy shit”. I’d take him and his rookie mistakes over Quine Prince, any day of the week.

Reactions: dood

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I have to agree with that; Ho-sang is the kind of player that ends up getting a sneaky amount of points thru secondary assists.

The guy made a few boneheaded plays last night, but ended up getting 2A. He has to improve in some areas, but damn does he have some skills; he made a Tavaresesque move on one of the power plays that made me go “holy ****”. I’d take him and his rookie mistakes over Quine Prince, any day of the week.

There is definitely an Old Boys Club-esque mentality lingering on HF Isles. He is the most talented homegrown draft pick since Tavares and people are bitching and moaning. He confuses Defenses and it's not like his secondary assists are off of greasy rebounds, he very much creates the space and puts the other players on the ice in position to score. If we had more finishers as oppose to chokers, he'd probably get plenty primary assists too.

Reactions: peter021

peter021

Apr 2, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
There is definitely an Old Boys Club-esque mentality lingering on HF Isles. He is the most talented homegrown draft pick since Tavares and people are *****ing and moaning. He confuses Defenses and it's not like his secondary assists are off of greasy rebounds, he very much creates the space and puts the other players on the ice in position to score. If we had more finishers as oppose to chokers, he'd probably get plenty primary assists too.

This team is not a Stanley Cup contender right now, so let the young guys do their thing and deal with some growing pains. As long as Ho-Sang is improving and correcting bad habits/mistakes, I'm ok with it. This is a bridge year for this franchise, so let's find out how he, Barzal, Pulock, Beau progress through the year.

Reactions: Svengoolie and dood

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
#66 played 11 minutes last night at MSG which was second least to Pulock. He didn’t play the entire 3rd period or I missed him and most of the second half of the second period. Interesting enough the Islanders started floundering late in the second and probably had their worst third period of the season. I will not attribute the poor play to HoSang not playing but everyone was turning the puck over or getting stripped of the puck down that stretch resulting in scoring chances against. What the Isles needed with a 3-1 lead were goals and not a defensive shell. I know Weight knows a lot more than me but when you dress 11 forwards and 7 defensemen, you better play your 11 forwards and hope no one gets injured. Weight has his reasons, but I hope he sees something here and gives the kids a chance to shine and yes make mistakes. He #66 has 4 points and is +1 and from my perspective looked very dangerous out there with Ladd. Too much stick handling up close when he should shoot but he is not the only one that is trying to make it too pretty. He had one bad giveaway that lead to a scoring chance. The MSG ice didn’t help his stickhandling at times. I am not agreeing with how HoSang and Beauvillier are being used or not being used. Just me?

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
#66 played 11 minutes last night at MSG which was second least to Pulock. He didn’t play the entire 3rd period or I missed him and most of the second half of the second period. Interesting enough the Islanders started floundering late in the second and probably had their worst third period of the season. I will not attribute the poor play to HoSang not playing but everyone was turning the puck over or getting stripped of the puck down that stretch resulting in scoring chances against. What the Isles needed with a 3-1 lead were goals and not a defensive shell. I know Weight knows a lot more than me but when you dress 11 forwards and 7 defensemen, you better play your 11 forwards and hope no one gets injured. Weight has his reasons, but I hope he sees something here and gives the kids a chance to shine and yes make mistakes. He #66 has 4 points and is +1 and from my perspective looked very dangerous out there with Ladd. Too much stick handling up close when he should shoot but he is not the only one that is trying to make it too pretty. He had one bad giveaway that lead to a scoring chance. The MSG ice didn’t help his stickhandling at times. I am not agreeing with how HoSang and Beauvillier are being used or not being used. Just me?

I agree with this he should play more when he is on the ice he tends to have the puck which is needed in the 3rd period. I think weight is afraid of him giving up a goal late in the game and actually last night he wasn't even on the power play likely as a punishment for giving up the puck in the LA game. He definitely needs to shoot more and not pass behind him. I would be surprised if he doesn't sit next game. I would like to see the same lineup as tonight but with beau in and pelech out. I don't think that will happen but who knows at this point.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Ho-sang needs to make better decisions with the puck, that's why he sat

Been saying this over and over again. Turning the puck over is one thing, but he constantly turns the puck over on passes high in the offensive zone that lead to breaks the other way, see: game winning short handed goal by Doughty. He turns it over a LOT. He also passes up on big time scoring chances by looking to make passes. Case in point, last night he gets himself to basically the hashmarks, pulls up and throws the puck back to the far side point. Why? He could benefit from a sit down and being shown what he needs to do better. Its a learning process.

Don't get the Beau sitting, however.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ho-sang needs to make better decisions with the puck, that's why he sat

Can't sit a guy when you have 11 forwards and 10 of them are tired while clinging to the lead. Make your point and put him back out there. He has the ability to get another goal or control play to rag time off the clock, tiring the opposition. I really disagree with Weight benching Ho-Sang, the 11 forwards, and I disagree with the 1-1-3.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Can't sit a guy when you have 11 forwards and 10 of them are tired while clinging to the lead. Make your point and put him back out there. He has the ability to get another goal or control play to rag time off the clock, tiring the opposition. I really disagree with Weight benching Ho-Sang, the 11 forwards, and I disagree with the 1-1-3.
The problem is, last night Ho-Sang was comitting more turnovers than usual. Normally, you take the good with the bad with him, but there was no good. He wasn't opening up ice with his skating, he wasn't making plays, he was really out of sync and turning the puck over everytime he touched it. That's the last thing they needed in the 3rd, it may not have even gone to OT.

Weight made the right choice.

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013

I have not watched so much this year. They're running a 1-1-3 consistently or when they have a lead?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Can't complain about him sitting last night he was horrible. So many times on defense the other team passes right through his stick and he had some turnovers. He's still learning

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
JHS is just raw. Great skater, terrific hands, great passer but not a good hockey player. Until he learns how to calm down on the JHS show and just be a good linemate hes not going to get minutes. I love his potential, but I really dont like the game hes been playing at all. He will be scratched for Beau next game i bet.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He's young. He'll learn. He's going to have a bright future with the Isles. He needs to listen carefully to Weight and maintain willingness to learn.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
So Ho-Sang has sat out 4 periods this year. The game vs Columbus and the 3rd period vs NYR. The Islanders have been completely obliterated during those 4 periods and that's been the worst they've played so far this year. I don't think its a coincidence. Yea, JHS was turning it over a ton last night, but he had plenty of company. I hope Weight can take the good with the bad with these kids rather than resorting to Capuono tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad