Recalled/Assigned: Josh Ho-Sang assigned to Bridgeport *Sent Down to BST 12/15*

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Send Beau down because he’s awful. Criminally overrated by this board.
"overrated"?
ive seen more people saying "send him down" than singing his praises.
as for ho-sang, hes trade bait in my eyes. let garth get whatever he can get for him. i doubt it would work, but i would try to send him to philadelphia for gudas.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
JHS is the type of player who needs a ,lot of seasoning before coming into his own. Let him get big minutes in Bport but I'd also like to see some other players getting a chance. Surely, Bernier, Gionta or Fritz is no worse than Quine or Chimera, but we all know it's going to be Prince simply because he's on a 1-way deal. The desire to make more wholesale changes simply isn't there

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Beau has a better work ethic, and Weight has said that there will be no passengers.

still, if we are going for it this year, i would like to see Beau sent down too. pick up some gritty vets just for this year.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Beau has a better work ethic, and Weight has said that there will be no passengers.

If by better work ethic you mean better defensively, I agree .
However,Beau's hustle does not make up for his disappointing lack of offense.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
Kane won't be on a roster with Ladd, just not going to happen.

I'd be okay with sending Beauvillier down with Ho-Sang. Let them play together down there and regain some confidence. What has to happen is Cizikas and Clutterbuck need to be moved up to the 3rd line with Nelson. Then roll Chimera, Quine, and Prince on that bottom line for 8 minutes a night. That's it.
8 minutes a night that can destroy your whole game, no I am not a fan of this idea not at all
Chimera and Quine both don't belong to any NHL roster and Prince, well I doubt Prince is the solution for our current problems getting a solid defense oriented bottom 3rd and 4th line
As for HoSang it seems he's Dougs whipping boy. I don't agree to the chorus of calling him turnover machine. Yes, he has some turnovers, but not incredibly more than others and he's contributed something offensively that Chimera and Quine would never ever bring on the ice.

Reactions: YesCubed and MJF

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
If by better work ethic you mean better defensively, I agree .
However,Beau's hustle does not make up for his disappointing lack of offense.

well...he has not had much help either with who he has been playing with.....non the less, up or down...he will be learning from this season....he is a smart kid.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
well...he has not had much help either with who he has been playing with.....non the less, up or down...he will be learning from this season....he is a smart kid.
Beau has had the same helpers that JHS has had.
And unlike JHS, Beau does not draw penalties.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Beau is 20 1/2 years old. He is the kind of player you send down to season his game and build up physical strength and conditioning. He has the tools and the determination to be a productive NHL roster player at some position, likely middle 6 but possibly as low as a grinding 4th liner.
Ho Sang is another kettle of fish IMO. He may need "seasoning" but in a different way. While he would benefit from strength and conditioning, his main needs are learning that pro hockey in the NHL is not a solitary enterprise. He has some exceptional tools in skating ability and speed, good vision. He needs to adjust his tactics and stop trying to be RDP of the forward line. His hot dog end-to end rushes are fine occasionally but they do not fit into a 5 man attack. His play away from the puck has to be activated.
He is a turnover machine but doesn't get charged with all the times he loses the puck on his over handling of it. Many times he will lose it and recover it himself, or another Islander will touch it first to rescue him. He most often loses the puck on an attempted toe drag/curl back move. Either way, give it to an opponent or just lose control to regain it, he kills plays. Until HS revises his style of play to conform to a more set 5 man attack, he will be a healthy scratch/fringe NHL player.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyMike01

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
8 minutes a night that can destroy your whole game, no I am not a fan of this idea not at all
Chimera and Quine both don't belong to any NHL roster and Prince, well I doubt Prince is the solution for our current problems getting a solid defense oriented bottom 3rd and 4th line
As for HoSang it seems he's Dougs whipping boy. I don't agree to the chorus of calling him turnover machine. Yes, he has some turnovers, but not incredibly more than others and he's contributed something offensively that Chimera and Quine would never ever bring on the ice.
I don't call JHS a turn over machine but I do think he needs to regularly be reminded to K.I.S.S

Tries to do too much at times and gets burned for it

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Beau is 20 1/2 years old. He is the kind of player you send down to season his game and build up physical strength and conditioning. He has the tools and the determination to be a productive NHL roster player at some position, likely middle 6 but possibly as low as a grinding 4th liner.

If Beau ends up a 4th line grinder, that will be a huge disappointment.A waste of a 1st round pick.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
If Beau ends up a 4th line grinder, that will be a huge disappointment.A waste of a 1st round pick.
Agree it would be a disappointment. But it would not be the first time that happens. Many junior stars are first or second round scorers in junior, only to be a lower line grinder in the bigs to survive. I don't know why, there are so many examples, but Aaron Asham comes to mind. He scored 45 and 43 goals, 96 and 92 points his last two seasons with the Red Deer Rebels. That never translated, even through 789 NHL games played. I feel Beau can be a pretty good scorer and two way player, maybe a more puck skilled Zeke.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

I'd be okay with sending Beauvillier down with Ho-Sang. Let them play together down there and regain some confidence. What has to happen is Cizikas and Clutterbuck need to be moved up to the 3rd line with Nelson. Then roll Chimera, Quine, and Prince on that bottom line for 8 minutes a night. That's it.

I agree with your new third line. We are paying these guys like 3rd liners anyway. I would substitute Bernier and Gionta for Chimera and one of the others. I think we need a few new faces to help send a wake up call to the forwards.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Suppose Beauvillier ends up being Cizikas. I'd be fine with that from a #28 overall pick. Late first round is 50/50 territory for a guy ever making the NHL, let alone being a good player.

Anyway, people have to relax and stop swaying in the wind with every up or down with the kids. They're kids and there will be ups and downs.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

That's fine for a short term fix, but if they want to actually win a round or two they need to bring in a couple forwards.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Beau just needs size to be able to handle more of his game. His 2-way game is solid. I think he'll be a different type of Nielsen, but it's going to take time.

Look at Couturier. People thought he'd be a third line centre...now he's playing top 3. I think after the 5 year mark, you'll see what Beau can be.

Ho-Sang is a different story. His talent is high...but so was Kabanov's...JHS NEEDS size to play like he does. He needs to be stronger on his skates and stop thinking his way is better. His way might work here and there, but it's not a team effort...it's an individual effort.

Once he overcomes this perception...he'll be amazing...

Reactions: dood

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
JHS, now you see the selfish comments. Not off the ice but on the ice, despite having one assist every other game, he tries to do it all himself.

Once he learns this crazy new tactic called a give and go, he could be really effective.

Honestly though, keeping him down for a bit to learn the game better..who knows, he might come up like he did last year and be a spark later in the season/playoffs we need.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
JHS, now you see the selfish comments. Not off the ice but on the ice, despite having one assist every other game, he tries to do it all himself.

Once he learns this crazy new tactic called a give and go, he could be really effective.

Honestly though, keeping him down for a bit to learn the game better..who knows, he might come up like he did last year and be a spark later in the season/playoffs we need.

Hard to do a "give and go" when your linemates can't handle or make a pass. Yet he still produces.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Corsi over the last 10 games, small sample size but shows that JHS is not the problem in the bottom 6:
o5ZPhimi6QyW_2017-12-16_13-18-41.png

Reactions: IslandersGER

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

But trading a #5 OA for a 4th line grinder whose best seasons
were with his previous club is a super great move.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hard to do a "give and go" when your linemates can't handle or make a pass. Yet he still produces.

Corsi over the last 10 games, small sample size but shows that JHS is not the problem in the bottom 6:
o5ZPhimi6QyW_2017-12-16_13-18-41.png

Those stats are nice but when he's skating in circles below his own faceoff dots four times a game and gets trapped, that's on him. Also when he flees the zone super early, that's on him. Those are the bad habits that those numbers do not show.

Reactions: Svengoolie and dood

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I find he likes to start his rushes dipsy doodling arounf and when you compare to Barzal..a guy that speeds up..not funny business. Enters the zone, then stops...finds and opening large enough to look around, then distributes. JHS never seems to make it past the centre line 85% of the time.

If he can emulate or improve on Barzal's methods..he'll be top 3 in no time.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I see a thread about Ho-Sang has become a, "Yeah, but look at what Beavillier isn't doing" thread.

Beauvillier needs tons of work, but why can't so many fans hold Ho-Sang accountable for his play...? He's a mess of a player right now who's the only player on the team who feels like they should rename the team to the "New York Ho-Sangs." His giveaways are inexcusable, and he had to be sent down before the coaching staff would lose credibility if they truly want to hold players accountable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad