Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Harris is young cheap depth defense man. NHL caliber. A good asset given injuries defense usually get. But we had to move him. No shot you know he's limited offensively. Small he's not going to be physical. Which is valuable in playoffs. Harris the one who had to go

Reactions: 1909

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think Harris was a bit underrated here. As a player he seems pretty smart , skates well and likely be a good 5D, maybe a 4D. Needs to add weight and get stronger.

As a person he sounds like a great human being. Truly concerned and involved with community.

All the best Jordan.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Liked him a lot and I think he has untapped potential. He's very smart and has been nothing but a class act. Wish him the best and hope he solidified himself as a legitimate top 4. I think Columbus will be very satisfied with him.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
To use the latest word adopted by the talking heads, he was a “cerebral” guy, on and off the ice. Always seemed to be genuinely interested in interacting with fans/media, and was very well liked by his peers. With the right makeup on defense, he could have been here for years. But with our current roster, he was the guy that had to be moved. I didn’t always care for his game, or his style (as I found his lack of physicality a detriment) but he’s a decent bottom pairing defender, and a tremendous teammate. Wish him all the best in Columbus.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If Laine has Harris's fresh outlook, humbleness and stable persona, he would be an outstanding player. What Harris lacks in talent and size, he makes up in smarts and heart. Good guy.
Harris’ underrated skating ability contributed to making Montreal’s defense one of the most mobile in the league. Smart, competitive and fluid, Harris was no mere ‘throw in’.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Agree Harris might be the most undervalued D but he was older than everyone else and more expansive, smaller, does not have a great shot and played LD our deepest position. His strength are smart mobility and fluidity but even those are not elite.
He is a NHLer but not sure but he will be more than a #4-6
Guhle just bigger and more skilled
Xhekaj has size, shot +underrated offensively
Hutson might be smaller but elite offensive skills
Barron/Mailloux / Reinbacher are RD 1st round pick but also have the edge in size and speed.
Struble probably as similar upside but might be better suited for bottom pair role because of size and grit.

He isn’t a throw in but he was clearly the odd man out in Mtl with almost everyone else being younger cheaper bigger and more skilled.

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
GM Don Waddell Breaks Down the PATRIK LAINE Trade

New Columbus Blue Jacket Defenseman, JORDAN HARRIS, Joins The Inside Edge!

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Being nice about Harris is fair enough, we have no hard feelings and he is undeniably an intelligent player, but his avoidance of physicality was a liability.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Being nice about Harris is fair enough, we have no hard feelings and he is undeniably an intelligent player, but his avoidance of physicality was a liability.

I feel obliged to offer some push back on this.

Harris certainly was not avoiding the dirty areas or avoiding contact any more than he should have in situations where it was prudent to rely on his brain rather than his brawn. He was increasingly effective last season in physical battles and as per his teammates and management he is in ridiculous shape and has put on a lot of muscle. He is suprisingly strong for his size but will never be a bruiser nor should he attempt to be. Jordan Harris at his best can be a 2nd pairing high end puck mover who plays a strong defensive game highlighted by his high IQ, strong stick work and a clear understanding of how and when to engage physically depending on the opponent. His upside imo is a bigger/stronger version of Spurgeon which is a top 4 defender on a contending team. His downside imo is a versatile bottom pairing defender on a playoff team. This would put his likely future based on my ceiling/floor as being a #4/5 defender on a good playoff team and that is a valuable commodity especially if he can play both LD and RD effectively.

I personally think he will be a very good player for a long time and it is a testament to our abundance of high end prospects on the blueline that he was expendable because when you add his off ice attributes to his steadily improving on-ice game he is a player that very few organizations would want to move at this point in his development.

As per Don Waddell, Columbus was given a list of players to choose from and they selected Harris so he clearly is better than what some fans around here currently believe.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Harris’ underrated skating ability contributed to making Montreal’s defense one of the most mobile in the league. Smart, competitive and fluid, Harris was no mere ‘throw in’.

This is already confirmed as Waddell chose Harris from a list that likely included Barron and Struble.....Barron for sure.

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
He's just talked about a list, who know what name were in there. Might as well be mostly drafted prospects in lower league. Waddell speak they were looking out at some forward in some other trade scenario too.

I do believe Jordan Harris worth in this transaction is higher than a 2nd round pick. Lars Eller & Andrew Shaw worth was 2 2nd. round. Newhook 31 & 37. Young active nhler mainstay on cap friendly deal easily are worth a 2nd, that like your goal already with those pick. Find a great formation filler fit who dosen't project as a 1st rounder yet for most teams.

Timmins obviously love the dude.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I feel obliged to offer some push back on this.

Harris certainly was not avoiding the dirty areas or avoiding contact any more than he should have in situations where it was prudent to rely on his brain rather than his brawn. He was increasingly effective last season in physical battles and as per his teammates and management he is in ridiculous shape and has put on a lot of muscle. He is suprisingly strong for his size but will never be a bruiser nor should he attempt to be. Jordan Harris at his best can be a 2nd pairing high end puck mover who plays a strong defensive game highlighted by his high IQ, strong stick work and a clear understanding of how and when to engage physically depending on the opponent. His upside imo is a bigger/stronger version of Spurgeon which is a top 4 defender on a contending team. His downside imo is a versatile bottom pairing defender on a playoff team. This would put his likely future based on my ceiling/floor as being a #4/5 defender on a good playoff team and that is a valuable commodity especially if he can play both LD and RD effectively.

I personally think he will be a very good player for a long time and it is a testament to our abundance of high end prospects on the blueline that he was expendable because when you add his off ice attributes to his steadily improving on-ice game he is a player that very few organizations would want to move at this point in his development.

As per Don Waddell, Columbus was given a list of players to choose from and they selected Harris so he clearly is better than what some fans around here currently believe.
I think this high-reaching analysis of Harris is a bit precious. At his age, with his tenure, with his profile, there are not too many comparable players who’ve gone from where he is to where you claim he can go.

The fact is his smarts are but one aspect of his game — we all acknowledge he is smart — but Hughes had him on a list, Waddell didn’t seek him out, and that has largely to do with his lack of physical game.

Maybe you don’t need to be too smart, maybe to succeed you need to be a bit dumb and brave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad