Speculation: Jordan Binnington to Toronto?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Counter proposal: No. Get your own awesome goalie this one is ours.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He was middle of the pack in both GAA and Sv%

on second thought, as a Habs fan. I really really hope this happens......

I'm a Blues fan who really, really dislikes Binnington because of his antics. As someone who dislikes him yet has watched every non-NHL network game he played this year, his GAA and save % stats really do not paint the picture.

I think a lot of Blues fans overlook his issues. They make excuses for when he has been bad. But he was totally locked in this year. No issues, no drama. He was damn good. I hate saying it.

Depending on what site you use, he should be in or near Vezina consideration based on advanced goalie stats. For example, moneypuck (minimum 32 games) has him 4th in Goals saved above expected, 5th in GAA better than expected, 4th in wins above replacement, That is far better than middle of the pack when you factor in how awful our defense is.

Reactions: Memento

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
LOL, no one wants Robertson and their is no ranking that shows Hildeby in a top-5 as a goalie prospect. IN the below, he's merely an honorably mention and outside the top-15. lol

It was worded poorly. I meant he is a top-5 prospect in the Leafs system including forwards and defenseman. I haven't looked close enough to see where he'd be ranked league wide among goalie prospects.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Dominantly winning a Cup and remaining a strong #1 goaltender being "the flash" and all the other proud athletes in the NHL trying to win their own Cup but being thwarted being "the pan."

Reactions: JKG33 and tfriede2

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I would low key love Binnington in Toronto

I have come to hate how leaf goalies haven’t had a little bit of fire in their game, red-hot compete and taking zero shit.

As soon as Binnington two-hands Marchand across the back of the knees in the playoffs I’m starting a go fund me to build him a statue

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Anyone that hasn't watched a Blues game in 5 years wouldnt know how good JB50 is. Ripped off from calder, ripped off from Conn Smyth. Crazy sure, but absolutely elite. Without him Blues might not win 10 games. Dude is top 5 in league in expected saves and top 5 in high danger saves..that basically means he stops everything that you should as a goalie and stops more difficult chances than almost any goalie in the league. Hes a top 5 goalie in the league and solves every problem leafs have. Every leafs game w Samsonov in net, every shot thats taken im looking at the back of the net to see if it went in...no confidence in him at all im sure the team is the same and its their entire problem..they always bracing for that weak goal.

Realistic trade for him would be 1st,2nd and robertson and blues retain some salary, but id be furious if blues accepted that. Id rather trade entire team but Thomas and Binner and rebuild for 1-2 years and go for it again.

I think you are correct

Binnington im the leaf net, or Saros or maybe even markstrom would let the team open up and play their game

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Do NOT want Saros. Binner maybe slightly more. Neither excite me.

Leafs are not the winning the cup with 16/91’s cap hits. I hope they address defense and 2C. Give Woll another shot. Can’t fix everything in one year.

Give another chance to a guy who is constantly hurt, and who has a total of 36 games of NHL experience and has never played more than 32 games in a season as a pro? Yeah, brilliant idea.

You can't give Woll another shot he's to fragile that's the ENTIRE problem.

It's not talent it's health, and way he he gets injured.

He missed 3 months because he got hurt on MUFFIN shot.

and then he took himself out of game 7 by trying to make a save on a shot he literally didn't need to.

He's to injury prone

We need another China Wall, not Woll the China Doll.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
He was middle of the pack in both GAA and Sv%

on second thought, as a Habs fan. I really really hope this happens......
His save percentage was #9 if you filter to 40 games which is basically true tandem or better (undisputed starter level). His andvanced stats paint an even better picture. And that’s on a team with significant holes defensively. The team defense that won the Blues a Cup is gone. What Binnington did this year was ruin the Blues chances at a better pick by winning us games we had no business winning and he did so with frequency.

I personally am somewhat ambivalent to the guy. He is a good starter. His antics can be dumb. But he locks in when it’s needed. He was a critical player in the Cup run. But the Blues don’t need him right now. If we were a team that had any hopes in the playoffs, I would absolutely keep him. Given where we are, I would entertain offers, but only ones that significantly offset his loss and help us build a better future.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
Out of the 280 NHL games he’s played, tell me how many times he threw a tantrum after a loss. He had zero instances of anything out of the ordinary this season. He threw an empty water bottle in the direction of a player who took him out of the playoffs. He threw swung his stick in the direction of a player’s head once (which was dumb). 280 games, a few instances of bad choices. No post-game tantrums (other than the water bottle). People look at a couple of highlights of that and think he does all the time. He doesn’t.
People just hate Binner because he's arrogant and successful. If they actually think about it, then they'll realize he hasn't really DONE anything to warrant that hate other than throw a water bottle after being injured in a playoff game.

No he wasn't.

He was average at best. Go check his stats and where he ranked among goalies who played more than 25ish games....
He's going to get Vezina votes this year because of just HOW GOOD he was this year. If not for him (and Hofer to a lesser degree), the Blues aren't sniffing the Playoffs this season.

Reactions: JKG33

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
People just hate Binner because he's arrogant and successful. If they actually think about it, then they'll realize he hasn't really DONE anything to warrant that hate other than throw a water bottle after being injured in a playoff game.

He's going to get Vezina votes this year because of just HOW GOOD he was this year. If not for him (and Hofer to a lesser degree), the Blues aren't sniffing the Playoffs this season.
Because you put it in caps doesn't make it true. I look at numbers, which make him middle of the pack. I never said he was bad at all, I said average. I was also quoting a guy who said he was among the elite and that was just a ridiculous statement.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Because you put it in caps doesn't make it true. I look at numbers, which make him middle of the pack. I never said he was bad at all, I said average. I was also quoting a guy who said he was among the elite and that was just a ridiculous statement.

Oh, didn't realize you look at the numbers. I mean, that's the absolute best way to judge a player. Look at his save percentage and GAA, and only those. Don't watch him. Don't look at advanced stats that attempt to isolate his performance outside of that of the team. Don't listen to people who have watched him more. Just look at those two stats. You got this scouting thing figured out. Why hasn't an NHL team snatched you up?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Oh, didn't realize you look at the numbers. I mean, that's the absolute best way to judge a player. Look at his save percentage and GAA, and only those. Don't watch him. Don't look at advanced stats that attempt to isolate his performance outside of that of the team. Don't listen to people who have watched him more. Just look at those two stats. You got this scouting thing figured out. Why hasn't an NHL team snatched you up?
ahhh.....cant debate the numbers so you make it personal against me....

clever tactic.

Anyways let me prove it to you....I just made every goalie in the NHL a UFA and available for a redraft.

I am curious as to where you think Binnington would go in such a draft.....

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
ahhh.....cant debate the numbers so you make it personal against me....

clever tactic.

Anyways let me prove it to you....I just made every goalie in the NHL a UFA and available for a redraft.

I am curious as to where you think Binnington would go in such a draft.....
You think that was personal? Sarcastic absolutely. But it was about your contention that you looked at the numbers and not about you personally. I did debate the numbers. His advanced stats that account for how bad our D is put him in the top 5 this past season.

I am not as high on him as many Blues fans. I don't like his antics. I don't think he is as money as Blues fans. When he is doing his antics, he gets off his game badly. I also prefer not to pay goalies a ton. I'd rather platoon two good goalies at $4M and $2M than pay one goalie $6+. There are also teams who may prefer a younger goalie due to where they are at with the rest of the roster. Like if the Sharks, Hawks, etc are [picking high in the draft, they'd probably pass on him for a younger goalie.

All that said, I think he'd go top 10ish. My contention was not that he would be redrafted top 5, but that last season he was a top 5 goalie whose stats were negatively impacted by our bottom 5 D.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
You think that was personal? Sarcastic absolutely. But it was about your contention that you looked at the numbers and not about you personally. I did debate the numbers. His advanced stats that account for how bad our D is put him in the top 5 this past season.

I am not as high on him as many Blues fans. I don't like his antics. I don't think he is as money as Blues fans. When he is doing his antics, he gets off his game badly. I also prefer not to pay goalies a ton. I'd rather platoon two good goalies at $4M and $2M than pay one goalie $6+. There are also teams who may prefer a younger goalie due to where they are at with the rest of the roster. Like if the Sharks, Hawks, etc are [picking high in the draft, they'd probably pass on him for a younger goalie.

All that said, I think he'd go top 10ish. My contention was not that he would be redrafted top 5, but that last season he was a top 5 goalie whose stats were negatively impacted by our bottom 5 D.
You honestly think he is a top 10 goalie? Not based on his best or his worst seasons but overall top 10in the league?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You honestly think he is a top 10 goalie? Not based on his best or his worst seasons but overall top 10in the league?

Given the past two years since he put his antics behind him and got his head straight, yes. The last few years our defense has been atrocious. The last two years since he straightened his head out a good bit, his numbers have been middling but his underlying numbers are really strong. Our D keeps his numbers from being good as they are bottom 5 in the league.

Last year, I would not be surprised if you said we let in 100+ completely uncontested back door goals that no goalie in the league could stop. It was at least 1 a game, and some games several. He has kept us from being a bottom dweller this season where the D improved but is still one of the worst in the league.

So going forward, setting aside my personal distaste for him, If I have to make a list of what goalies I'd want in the next season to win me a cup this next season, with my GM career on the line, he is absolutely in the top 10.

Reactions: sfvega

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Given the past two years since he put his antics behind him and got his head straight, yes. The last few years our defense has been atrocious. The last two years since he straightened his head out a good bit, his numbers have been middling but his underlying numbers are really strong. Our D keeps his numbers from being good as they are bottom 5 in the league.

Last year, I would not be surprised if you said we let in 100+ completely uncontested back door goals that no goalie in the league could stop. It was at least 1 a game, and some games several. He has kept us from being a bottom dweller this season where the D improved but is still one of the worst in the league.

So going forward, setting aside my personal distaste for him, If I have to make a list of what goalies I'd want in the next season to win me a cup this next season, with my GM career on the line, he is absolutely in the top 10.
Binner has atrocious numbers against Montreal, which explains why Montreal fans are bashing him quite a bit in this thread. They (like us lately) don't have a lot of opportunities to dunk on other teams. The only time they watch him, he's been pretty bad. Where as we will watch a game we lose 3-1 with an empty netter and see him stand on his head trying to keep us in a game that should end 6-1. Him stealing points worked against us in having the #16 pick this year, which is proof of his effectiveness. They're not right, but I get why they think that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad