Speculation: Jordan Binnington to Toronto?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hot take: Berube is NOT a good coach. He gets too much credit for the 2019 Cup run. On the flip-side, Binnington doesn't get ENOUGH credit.

These past few seasons, Berube has seemed lost. Good luck Toronto.

I'll fully admit I think Binnington has been a pretty normal goalie since that cup run, not bad, not great.

That being said, he was amazing in that cup run. I liked St.Louis a lot as a team but always thought they lacked 2 things to get them over the hump, a 1C and a goalie, Elliott/Allen were just too mediocre for a team with cup aspirations.

Blues acquired ROR, that was one of the big things out of the way, and then Binnington came out and we know the rest.

I think the biggest problem which hurt Berube was losing Pietrangelo and it's on Armstrong. I have no idea how you add a guy like Faulk, a right shot defenseman when you have Pietrangelo and Parayko, and you sign Faulk to an extension first. You then let your franchise top pair defenseman walk for nothing.

• Love
Reactions: Majorityof1

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would love to see Binnington in Toronto. I don't think Binnington would change the Leafs' fate any but they could do worse with their cap space.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Nah he’s clutch, which you are aware of. Toronto would have won game 7 if he was in there a couple weeks ago.
On the contrary, I think they lose in 5 or 6 if he's in there. Toronto will eat him alive. They are looked at as gods up there apparently. Until shit goes sideways of course

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
OP has a very long history of make completely baseless threads or ones where facts are omitted. At least the tradition stands

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Binnington is exactly what the Leafs or the Canes need in net. However, I'm not sure I'm ready to part ways despite the fact he will be due a new contract before we are likely ready to compete again. I think he would thrive in Toronto with his demeanor.

What he did in 2019 was insane and it wasn't a flash in the pan. His last appearance in the playoffs, he was 4-1 with a .949 Save % and 1.72 GAA prior to getting injured and the infamous water bottle incident. He had a Vezina caliber regular season this past season so plenty of gas left in the tank. Would not be surprised to see the Blues willing to retain, making him even more attractive to a contender, and fully expecting to be underwhelmed by the return if he is traded.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If Treliving and Conroy can ever find a way to make a deal, Markstrom with some retention (maybe 1/3) is really a perfect solution.

Gives the Leafs 2 years to build up Woll and Hildeby.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Hot take: Berube is NOT a good coach. He gets too much credit for the 2019 Cup run. On the flip-side, Binnington doesn't get ENOUGH credit.

These past few seasons, Berube has seemed lost. Good luck Toronto.
I mean what do you expect when you lose so many key players? Pietrangelo, ROR, Tank, Perron, Bozak, Steen, J-Bo.. that's a lotta talent who either walked as UFAs or aged out.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Robertson (RFA) + Hildeby (Top-5 ranked goalie prospect) for Binnington (6M per for 3 years)

Robertson (RFA) + Villeneuve or Tverberg (Top-10 ranked defenseman or forward prospect) for Markstrom (6M per for 2 years)

Binnington and Markstrom have term at a set rate and the Leafs have some good young goalies in the system. Which makes Saros the most unlikely of the 3 because he has one year left, which means he will need a large extension, Toronto may only need a goalie for 2-3 years, Saros is coming in for 1 or 7-9.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Robertson (RFA) + Hildeby (Top-5 ranked goalie prospect) for Binnington (6M per for 3 years)

Robertson (RFA) + Villeneuve or Tverberg (Top-10 ranked defenseman or forward prospect) for Markstrom (6M per for 2 years)

Binnington and Markstrom have term at a set rate and the Leafs have some good young goalies in the system. Which makes Saros the most unlikely of the 3 because he has one year left, which means he will need a large extension, Toronto may only need a goalie for 2-3 years, Saros is coming in for 1 or 7-9.
No thanks

I think Toronto would have interest. Any guesses on what a potential deal might look like?
Knies

horner

May 22, 2007
Demko hasn't be healthy tke media dosent seems to talk about him . It is always about woll.
Fix the D first we aren't winning the cup this year .

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Demko hasn't be healthy tke media dosent seems to talk about him . It is always about woll.
Fix the D first we aren't winning the cup this year .
If Woll was a Vezina level goalie then the Leafs might decide to stick with him. But he’s not even close to that level. Binny is a proven elite goaltender. If the Leafs could get him they are instantly a lot better.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Any #1 veteran goalie Toronto gets Cowan is going the other way.
lol, he is likely the most untouchable prospect the Leafs have had in years.
an 'Elite' goalie could command that, not a '#1 Veteran' and there are no Elite goalies available. (Saros is not elite, unless he grows 4-6 inches)

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Binnington and Krug for Nylander!

Or we will take Knies and your 2024 1st.

And there it goes.... Come on man. No one is offering the equivalent of 2 1st for JB or trading one of their top wingers for him. Why even suggest it? It will turn this thread into a poop show.

Goalie value is impossible to guess - Schneider got an early 1st, but other guys get 2nds or 3rds. I have no idea of what BJ would bring in return. But those are outrageous asks and there is no reason to propose them.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
lol, he is likely the most untouchable prospect the Leafs have had in years.
an 'Elite' goalie could command that, not a '#1 Veteran' and there are no Elite goalies available. (Saros is not elite, unless he grows 4-6 inches)
No club is going to gift the Leafs a high end goalie. Binny will cost a lot. But the Leafs clearly need to have a true number 1. So they either pay the price or continue with what they have.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
No club is going to gift the Leafs a high end goalie. Binny will cost a lot. But the Leafs clearly need to have a true number 1. So they either pay the price or continue with what they have.
I'm expecting them to continue with what they have to be honest, and spend their $$ on an upgraded defense (their top need).
they dont need a roller coaster goalie, even if the highs are very high, because that drop can come at the wrong moment as well

Reactions: VanOriginal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad