Speculation: Jordan Binnington to Toronto?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
"Armstrong...chose faulk over AP...then had a second chance to keep AP and chose krug..."
lol that makes zero sense.

Also, Armstrong offered Pietrangelo everything that would have kept him as a Blue for the duration of his contract and offered more money than Vegas. If Pietrangelo wanted to be a Blue he still would be. The "Armstrong didn't sign Pietrangelo" argument is so old, false, and tired. Armstrong has made mistakes but don't act like losing Pietrangelo was all on Armstrong.

And to really put your critical thinking skills to the test (be careful): ask yourself how it makes any sense for the lack of a full NMC to be the hangup for Pietrangelo? Pietrangelo was not at risk for being exposed in the Seattle draft nor would he be in any risk of being sent to the minors, even late into the contract. A full NTC would have given him all the protection he desired if he wanted to remain a Blue. I mean..after all Armstrong has had an easy time trading all of the underperforming defensemen with their NTCs. Oh that's right....
1. It makes sense to give AP a full no movement because you are already committed to a terrible future with the Schenn, Faulk deals, so why not just fully commit to being a contender for 4-5 years before you tank ( and use these bad salaries to reach the salary floor).
Torey Krug signed a 7 year, $45,500,000 contract with the St. Louis Blues on Oct. 9, 2020.
Alex Pietrangelo signed a 7 year, $61,600,000 contract with the Vegas Golden Knights on Oct. 12, 2020.

They dont call me the blueslifer for nothing...

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Also, Armstrong offered Pietrangelo everything that would have kept him as a Blue for the duration of his contract and offered more money than Vegas. If Pietrangelo wanted to be a Blue he still would be. The "Armstrong didn't sign Pietrangelo" argument is so old, false, and tired. Armstrong has made mistakes but don't act like losing Pietrangelo was all on Armstrong.
holy shit did you write this paragraph and then actually sarcastically cite "critical thinking" dear mother of god. no wonder armstrong's sycophant liked it lol

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
1. It makes sense to give AP a full no movement because you are already committed to a terrible future with the Schenn, Faulk deals, so why not just fully commit to being a contender for 4-5 years before you tank ( and use these bad salaries to reach the salary floor).
Torey Krug signed a 7 year, $45,500,000 contract with the St. Louis Blues on Oct. 9, 2020.
Alex Pietrangelo signed a 7 year, $61,600,000 contract with the Vegas Golden Knights on Oct. 12, 2020.

Why do you assume that the NMC would have been enough for Petro to stay? If he truly wanted to stay, the Blues offer should have been good enough. Army wouldn't have traded for Faulk if he was confident Petro was staying. Army and Petro had a few months to discuss an extension before the Faulk trade happened. How do we know Petro wasn't determined to reach UFA all along? That scenario makes a lot more sense when you look at how everything went down.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
Why do you assume that the NMC would have been enough for Petro to stay? If he truly wanted to stay, the Blues offer should have been good enough. Army wouldn't have traded for Faulk if he was confident Petro was staying. Army and Petro had a few months to discuss an extension before the Faulk trade happened. How do we know Petro wasn't determined to reach UFA all along? That scenario makes a lot more sense when you look at how everything went down.
so if DA knows he cant resign him why not move him for something...he already acquired his replacement (who sucks) in faulk..DA wanted to pretend he wanted to sign him and try to make AP look like the bad guy...i just dont understand with all the long term contracts that were bound to end badly, why draw the line in the sand with AP...the one guy on the team who earned the right to a NMC and the one guy who is still playing at an all star level. krug sucks, faulk sucks, Schenn is starting to decline fast.

Faulk is so bad defensively he probably wouldnt get on the ice on a mens league penalty kill

• Haha
Reactions: The Electrician

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
so if DA knows he cant resign him why not move him for something...he already acquired his replacement (who sucks) in faulk..DA wanted to pretend he wanted to sign him and try to make AP look like the bad guy...i just dont understand with all the long term contracts that were bound to end badly, why draw the line in the sand with AP...the one guy on the team who earned the right to a NMC and the one guy who is still playing at an all star level. krug sucks, faulk sucks, Schenn is starting to decline fast.

Faulk is so bad defensively he probably wouldnt get on the ice on a mens league penalty kill

You just ignored my points completely. The whole point is that Petro didn't really want to stay that badly, or at least was much more enticed to play in Vegas than St. Louis. Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend. It's ultimately the player's choice where he wants to play. If his heart was truly in St. Louis, he'd still be there.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Because the Blues were trying to win? As crazy as it sounds, teams in a window do value winning more than asset management.

If you don’t remember correctly we sorely lacked a top 4 LD at the time, if Petro or Faulk worked at LD it would’ve made us miles better.

Also Krug was a premier PPQB at the time of the contract signing. Was he overpaid? Sure I’ll give you that, but our powerplay was also not in a great spot.

Faulk doesn’t suck. Faulk and Krug together do suck. What sucks even more is having to shelter 2 pairs because we still sorely lack a top 4 LD.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
The history of putting a band aid over another band aid on Toronto's goaltending problem has been comical. get your self the best goalie you can. If it's Binner, then get Binner. Otherwise you are just wasting more years. BTW - You could also improve that D while your addressing issues.

• Love
Reactions: blueslifer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The history of putting a band aid over another band aid on Toronto's goaltending problem has been comical. get your self the best goalie you can. If it's Binner, then get Binner. Otherwise you are just wasting more years. BTW - You could also improve that D while your addressing issues.

I expect the defense to be revamped.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The leafs would be best to get a goalie to compliment woll who is stable between the temples… samsonov or binnington do not fit that bill

• Haha
Reactions: blueslifer

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
Thank you for bringing common sense into the discussion. I don't blame Petro at all for choosing to join a contending Vegas team. Seems like it's the most desirable market to play in right now, or at least it's near the top of the list. I'll never buy the argument that it was only the lack of an NMC that caused him to leave. It's just an easy excuse to say publicly instead of saying he simply preferred to play in Vegas over St. Louis, which is what I believe to be the case.
I find it ironic that Petro moved his family so he could get a NMC.

The whole situation pisses me off. Clearly something went sideways in the summer of 2019. I blame Newport for part of it. The trade for Faulk in September of that year was the first public warning sign. Then, very early in the year Nashville signed Josi for 8 x 9, I think. That was a good comp and when there was no apparent movement with the Blues and Petro, the die was cast. No way were they trading him when the Blues were at the top of the conference in March of 2020.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
You just ignored my points completely. The whole point is that Petro didn't really want to stay that badly, or at least was much more enticed to play in Vegas than St. Louis. Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend. It's ultimately the player's choice where he wants to play. If his heart was truly in St. Louis, he'd still be there.
I didnt ignore your points...I simply pointed out the signing dates of krug and AP so armstrong signed Krug before AP left..3 days before..thats a fact...you cant prove AP wanted to leave..its just hyperbole...but the facts are...we had cap space..and chose to sign other players, then he left

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
I find it ironic that Petro moved his family so he could get a NMC.

The whole situation pisses me off. Clearly something went sideways in the summer of 2019. I blame Newport for part of it. The trade for Faulk in September of that year was the first public warning sign. Then, very early in the year Nashville signed Josi for 8 x 9, I think. That was a good comp and when there was no apparent movement with the Blues and Petro, the die was cast. No way were they trading him when the Blues were at the top of the conference in March of 2020.
this is a very accurate account of what happened that season. I agree woudlnt have been easy to trade AP during the season..but we could have atleast used his cap space wisely...and krug got a not trade...the rumour at the time is $7.5 million AAV and a full NMC would have sealed Pietrangelo

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I didnt ignore your points...I simply pointed out the signing dates of krug and AP so armstrong signed Krug before AP left..3 days before..thats a fact...you cant prove AP wanted to leave..its just hyperbole...but the facts are...we had cap space..and chose to sign other players, then he left

the mother f***er got on a plane the very second FA started and ran off to vegas, if he actually wanted to stay he would have stayed and continued to negotiate. Knock off this bullshit about how he wanted to stay but Armstrong forced him out. He was offered the biggest contract in team history with partial NMC and it still wasn't good enough for him. He did NOT want to stay here.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
the mother f***er got on a plane the very second FA started and ran off to vegas, if he actually wanted to stay he would have stayed and continued to negotiate. Knock off this bullshit about how he wanted to stay but Armstrong forced him out. He was offered the biggest contract in team history with partial NMC and it still wasn't good enough for him. He did NOT want to stay here.
we had all season to lock him up...and we traded for faulk and gave a no trade to krug both before AP signed with vegas...and then we gave a no trade to krug? they wanted him gone..armstrong thought he was done and wouldnt age well over the contract...its as simple as that...his wifes from STL, they wanted to stay, we should have kept maroon too..how often does a city like STL get a chance to keep a hometown hero..and let him go for 900k...armstrong is above average at best

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
we had all season to lock him up...and we traded for faulk and gave a no trade to krug both before AP signed with vegas...and then we gave a no trade to krug? they wanted him gone..armstrong thought he was done and wouldnt age well over the contract...its as simple as that...his wifes from STL, they wanted to stay, we should have kept maroon too..how often does a city like STL get a chance to keep a hometown hero..and let him go for 900k...armstrong is above average at best

He did not want to negotiate a contract during the seasons but I guess you conveniently forgot that. Did you ever think we traded for Faulk because Armstrong knew Pietrangelo was at best going to be very difficult to resign if not impossible? Yes he made a desperate move signing Krug but at the time Krug was the 2nd best FA Dman available.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
He did not want to negotiate a contract during the seasons but I guess you conveniently forgot that. Did you ever think we traded for Faulk because Armstrong knew Pietrangelo was at best going to be very difficult to resign if not impossible? Yes he made a desperate move signing Krug but at the time Krug was the 2nd best FA Dman available.
so how about we plan better...we dont commit 13m a year to faulk and krug..most teams will just do short term signings instead of wreck their cap for almost a decade...bottom line we offered a worse contract

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
so how about we plan better...we dont commit 13m a year to faulk and krug..most teams will just do short term signings instead of wreck their cap for almost a decade...bottom line we offered a worse contract

there is literally nothing wrong with Faulks contract. If you don't like him, that's your problem, not a problem with him or his contract.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
there is literally nothing wrong with Faulks contract. If you don't like him, that's your problem, not a problem with him or his contract.

The athletic gave Faulk a D- grade this year. If Faulk were making 4m and played 3rd pairing and PP it would be fine..but thats not the situation...so i guess theres nothing wrong with faulks contract except that its his name that signed it and not someone worth that salary.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

It's strange that you keep referring to Pietrangelo signing in Vegas as if nothing happened before he put the pen to the contract. "Oh we did all that before he signed with Vegas". Well yea because he made it clear he didn't want to sign here lol. It's not that hard to understand. We brought in both Faulk and Krug because Pietrangelo is an asshole, basically.

blueslifer

May 23, 2024
It's strange that you keep referring to Pietrangelo signing in Vegas as if nothing happened before he put the pen to the contract. "Oh we did all that before he signed with Vegas". Well yea because he made it clear he didn't want to sign here lol. It's not that hard to understand. We brought in both Faulk and Krug because Pietrangelo is an asshole, basically.
All of this is noise, you are distracting from the important part here...AP leaving or not doesnt matter...we are talking about armstrong being average...even if he had no option in the AP scenario...faulk, krug are brutal contracts, could have moved AP for something...lucked his way into JB50...who he had basically cut for nothing, Id rather pay AP 13m a year than krug and faulk 13m combined...

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The athletic gave Faulk a D- grade this year. If Faulk were making 4m and played 3rd pairing and PP it would be fine..but thats not the situation...so i guess theres nothing wrong with faulks contract except that its his name that signed it and not someone worth that salary.

He more than likely played the majority of the year injured. One bad year doesn't change the fact that for the first several years of the contract he was the best Dman we had. Parayko had a terrible year a little while back but yet, he's proven once again he's a defensive stud this past year. Know what they have in common? Parayko's worst year was also the year his back was injured. Faulks had a hard time pivoting this year, that's more than likely a hip injury.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
All of this is noise, you are distracting from the important part here...AP leaving or not doesnt matter...we are talking about armstrong being average...even if he had no option in the AP scenario...faulk, krug are brutal contracts, could have moved AP for something...lucked his way into JB50...who he had basically cut for nothing, Id rather pay AP 13m a year than krug and faulk 13m combined...

Yes, trade your #1 Dman while you're trying to repeat as cup champs and are well on your way to doing so until one of your guys has a heart attack during a game and covid hits and shuts down the league but yea, he should have totally traded him instead of trying to win another cup. Binnington was never cut, he was under team control and infact Armstrong instead of cutting him when Binnington refused to report to a lower league, which is grounds for contract termination he kept him and went out of his way to accomodate him and find a place for him to play. It's almost like you don't know what the f*** you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad