Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
It's going to be a busy year in Ottawa for Ullmark, but he's a great goalie and should be able to save them more than a few games.
In Sens defense, the entire roster were AHL players except for one and Ottawa's prospect pool is pretty thin. Buffalo's rookies were hungrier, Ottawa's rookies were mostly awful. It was a hard game to watch but Ullmark was the highlight. If the changes the GM made in the off-season pan out, Ottawa's defensive play should improve from last year but it'll never be as good as Boston's.

Reactions: Absurdity

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In Sens defense, the entire roster were AHL players except for one and Ottawa's prospect pool is pretty thin. Buffalo's rookies were hungrier, Ottawa's rookies were mostly awful. It was a hard game to watch but Ullmark was the highlight. If the changes the GM made in the off-season pan out, Ottawa's defensive play should improve from last year but it'll never be as good as Boston's.
And all around the net.

Korpisalo faced point blank shots all night every night in Ottawa.
I don't know. Craig Button says otherwise

Reactions: Lord Ahriman

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't know. Craig Button says otherwise

Interesting take. I doubt most people in the league would agree that Ottawa is better defensively than Boston. I don't even think Ottawa fans would make that argument.

Button says Boston's defense is terrible at 19th in xGA but that Ottawa's is "pretty good" at 16. According to Natural Stat Trick, Boston is actually 16th in xGA and Ottawa is 22nd. Different services producing different numbers...

He talks about facts but a lot of subjectivity can go into expected goals and what constitutes a scoring chance. A shot off a pass is a scoring chance to some, but a shot from the blue line off a drop pass is not as difficult to save as a breakaway or someone uncontested in front.

The shot chart is also factual data. Even if you accept that the Bruins give up more "scoring chances" than Ottawa, the shot chart would suggest that those chances are coming from the outside while the chances Ottawa gives up are from the inside. That certainly fits more with how I perceive the two teams and their defensive zone coverage.

Last edited:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
As a side note, Sabres might be the team we have to watch out for. They look like they have maybe finally put it together. Hard to believe, but they look ready to be dominant.

(of course they are the Sabres, so they could still, just be that)

• Haha
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
In half a game he faced 29 shots?!?
Interesting, how long will that save percentage hold up facing that kind of rubber. Maybe we should give Korpisalo some breathing room, before we start throwing dirt on him, and we might be better served supporting him if he is going to be the guy. I also suspect Donnie, is doing his work and looking around the league at other options. Just maybe the two goalie tandem continues.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Always a year away from being a year away.
like x a billion

Interesting, how long will that save percentage hold up facing that kind of rubber. Maybe we should give Korpisalo some breathing room, before we start throwing dirt on him, and we might be better served supporting him if he is going to be the guy. I also suspect Donnie, is doing his work and looking around the league at other options. Just maybe the two goalie tandem continues.
I have no interest in another Sheilds-Hackett era. Get me Swayman in here signed, 57 games started and Korpi the 25 since we have no choice.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
like x a billion

I have no interest in another Sheilds-Hackett era. Get me Swayman in here signed, 57 games started and Korpi the 25 since we have no choice.
I would love to sign Swayman, but not for what you and Sway want, too much move him now, this nothing but a f***n distraction now.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
The only reason people are saying he’s not that bad is because he’s a Bruin. If he were on Toronto or someone else they would be being mocked by this place for thinking he could be good
Sure, that's the only reason. I think I would rather take the stance of wait and see before I live and die by what the so-called experts think.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Joonas is also, through no fault of his own, the guy that got dumped on Boston in the Ullmark deal. People are predisposed to dislike him for that in part because of the perception that Sweeney should have done a better tranaction.

Reactions: BMC and Mad-Marcus

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know you tell me, you know more than I do, I can tell you are much smarter than I am. I don't know what tomorrow will bring.

We assume the cap will be going up every year. It probably will, but who knows for sure? And we won't know the goalie market either. What if NYR tells Shesterkin to pound sand with his 11m ask or whatever it is?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Sure, that's the only reason. I think I would rather take the stance of wait and see before I live and die by what the so-called experts think.
I don't go by the experts I go by what are the facts and overall body of work I do appreciate fans only thinking he will be good because he's a Bruin now though,

I don't know you tell me, you know more than I do, I can tell you are much smarter than I am. I don't know what tomorrow will bring.
well use logic. 8 plus mil with a 100+ mil cap vs 8+ million with a 92 mil cap in 2025-26.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I thought there was a post in here about how Goalie Bob has changed Korp's style already to the style Bob preaches but maybe it was in another thread.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Guessing I missed your posts on how it would be prudent to acquire Korpisalo as an overpaid back up

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
The only reason people are saying he’s not that bad is because he’s a Bruin. If he were on Toronto or someone else they would be being mocked by this place for thinking he could be good
Why would Bruins fans be happy that the leafs acquired a goalie who has proven in the past to be a competent playoff goalie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad