Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
It's going to be a busy year in Ottawa for Ullmark, but he's a great goalie and should be able to save them more than a few games.
In Sens defense, the entire roster were AHL players except for one and Ottawa's prospect pool is pretty thin. Buffalo's rookies were hungrier, Ottawa's rookies were mostly awful. It was a hard game to watch but Ullmark was the highlight. If the changes the GM made in the off-season pan out, Ottawa's defensive play should improve from last year but it'll never be as good as Boston's.

Reactions: Absurdity

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In Sens defense, the entire roster were AHL players except for one and Ottawa's prospect pool is pretty thin. Buffalo's rookies were hungrier, Ottawa's rookies were mostly awful. It was a hard game to watch but Ullmark was the highlight. If the changes the GM made in the off-season pan out, Ottawa's defensive play should improve from last year but it'll never be as good as Boston's.
And all around the net.

Korpisalo faced point blank shots all night every night in Ottawa.
I don't know. Craig Button says otherwise

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't know. Craig Button says otherwise

Interesting take. I doubt most people in the league would agree that Ottawa is better defensively than Boston. I don't even think Ottawa fans would make that argument.

Button says Boston's defense is terrible at 19th in xGA but that Ottawa's is "pretty good" at 16. According to Natural Stat Trick, Boston is actually 16th in xGA and Ottawa is 22nd. Different services producing different numbers...

He talks about facts but a lot of subjectivity can go into expected goals and what constitutes a scoring chance. A shot off a pass is a scoring chance to some, but a shot from the blue line off a drop pass is not as difficult to save as a breakaway or someone uncontested in front. The shot chart is also factual data. Even if you accept that the Bruins give up more "scoring chances" than Ottawa, the shot chart would suggest that those chances are coming from the outside while the chances Ottawa gives up are from the inside. That certainly fits more with how I perceive the two teams and their defensive zone coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad