Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Has anyone seen Bussi play an NHL game? Not sure how we can predict he's taking a job from Korpi. Korpi I heard laser surgery for vision problem, goalie Bob, top defense. If he is any good, he is in a good spot to reclaim his career.

Bussi might be a late bloomer who just needs a chance and time with the right team, like Tim Thomas. I'd rather keep him in their back pocket then lose him.

I'm also hoping for a Korpi revival. We'll see how it all plays out.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

All eyes are on Joonas Korpisalo.

With Jeremy Swayman without a contract, Korpisalo has skated into the top spot in the Bruins goalie rotation as camp opened Thursday at Warrior Arena.

A nine-year veteran with 276 NHL games under his belt, Korpisalo said Swayman’s situation hasn’t really affected his preparations heading into training camp.
“Not really,” said the Finn, acquired as part of the deal that shipped Linus Ullmark to Ottawa. “I mean, it doesn’t change my job, and quite frankly, I just want to focus on my job, and of course he’s a great guy. I got to work with him before the camp. Great guy, great goalie. So yeah, just focusing on myself.”

As for the opportunity to seize the No. 1 job, Korpisalo doesn’t look far into the future.

“I just go day by day — that’s been my motto for every year,” said Korpisalo, who skated in the morning group Thursday with fellow goalies Michael DiPietro and Nolan Maier. “Of course, you have to look ahead, but right now it’s just head down, put the work in, and get better.”

Part of the job of helping Korpisalo get better will fall to goalie coach Bob Essensa, who has about the best reputation in the NHL when it comes to helping his pupils reach their potential.

“We just had a video session a couple days ago,” said Korpisalo. “The way he thinks about the game, it’s pretty similar [to me] and I think there’s a lot to learn from him.”

Korpisalo knew about the Bruins’ run of Vezina Trophy winners (Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, and Ullmark) but wasn’t aware of Essensa’s influence.

“Not much, but obviously I’ve seen all the Bruins goalies play and I always liked how they play the game,” he said, “and especially I used to look up to Tuukka quite a bit, so he worked with him and just really excited to get over with him.”

Korpisalo also showed off his new black-and-gold helmet, with the paint job by Sylvie Marsolais.

“I’m really happy how it turned out with the golden cage and everything,” he said. “A little sparkle. I love it. My painter, actually I give free hand to her. There’s only a couple of things I wanted on it and she’s really good.”

Competing with Korpisalo is Brandon Bussi, who suited up for a couple of games last year with the varsity but has yet to get into an NHL game.

Bussi, who catches with his right hand, is entering his fourth year in the organization.

“I’m just looking forward to the opportunity and going to try and show my teammates that I believe I’m ready for the next level,” said Bussi. “Whether that happens or not time will tell, but I’m going to work my hardest to try and make that a reality.”

Bussi signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Bruins just hours before the Ullmark trade on June 24. He said he was unaware of the impending move but “it wouldn’t have changed anything,” he said.

Bussi said Essensa’s message to the group was a simple one: “I think it’s just go out there, give it your best, earn everything. I think that’s the Bruin model and I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

1726790196882.png

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That’s a gorgeous cage.

I think he will be serviceable. Not expecting Vezina caliber goaltending but as long as he gives the team a reasonable chance most nights, I’ll be pleased

Reactions: Dr Hook

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Has anyone seen Bussi play an NHL game? Not sure how we can predict he's taking a job from Korpi. Korpi I heard laser surgery for vision problem, goalie Bob, top defense. If he is any good, he is in a good spot to reclaim his career.
Over and above laser surgery, we also heard there were sightline issues with his helmet so it was being worked on. Would explain why he let in so many softies from the blue line last year when he was on our team. He made some incredible saves close up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It is a start, a positive one and now looking forward to the next one.
You have to work with what you have. No sense complaining.

I think with an improved defensive structure under Jay Leach, and the coaching of Bob Essensa, JK could prove serviceable, enough to keep them afloat through the early months of the season.

At this point, that would be a major win.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You have to work with what you have. No sense complaining.

I think with an improved defensive structure under Jay Leach, and the coaching of Bob Essensa, JK could prove serviceable, enough to keep them afloat through the early months of the season.

At this point, that would be a major win.
I think in Sweeney did a good job putting this D-Corp together and I know there is a problem with Zadorov contract, but it addressed a need, some physicality back there, and it is 4 years not a lifetime. I think he also tried to get bigger and faster upfront, and I think he did that. I know he needs a scorer and a RW maybe a RW that can score, but they also have some contracts to deal with next year that in opinion are important to this team's success, uld consider a priority to sign. We all wanted Sway in net, but you cannot screw over the rest of the squad for him. Sweeney screwed the initial negotiation's, no doubt, but a bigger mistake would be if he signed Sway for crazy money just to cover his ass, with fans. Hey stories are written that came out of no where, maybe Korpisalo, will be this years, we didn't see that happening.

Reactions: GordonHowe

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman that was playing the last 2 months of hockey behind this D could be Bernie Parent circa 1970’s Flyers

Korpi getting unfairly trashed by many - some of my hone friends just casually toss out ‘he’s the worst goalie in the league’ lol

He’s been an AS and on two strong D groups in CBS & LA was high end ~ he shut out the Core of Four Leafs twice in the PO.

Is he Swayman - doubtful but I don’t think he’s a bum at all

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think in Sweeney did a good job putting this D-Corp together and I know there is a problem with Zadorov contract, but it addressed a need, some physicality back there, and it is 4 years not a lifetime. I think he also tried to get bigger and faster upfront, and I think he did that. I know he needs a scorer and a RW maybe a RW that can score, but they also have some contracts to deal with next year that in opinion are important to this team's success, uld consider a priority to sign. We all wanted Sway in net, but you cannot screw over the rest of the squad for him. Sweeney screwed the initial negotiation's, no doubt, but a bigger mistake would be if he signed Sway for crazy money just to cover his ass, with fans. Hey stories are written that came out of no where, maybe Korpisalo, will be this years, we didn't see that happening.
Sweeney screwed the initial offer because the agent said he did lol

I don’t in 12 years remember any other negotiation like this

It’s Gross sleezy style - he did this shit in Toronto

The Bruins responded about their cheapness with the hand selected Rich Keefe to play along that Sway wanted 8:80 10 M per

Donny ‘you think we are cheap? Well your guy is a greedy prick wanting more than McAvoy’

Sway didn’t ask for that at all my understanding but the message was conveyed both of you STFU

Swayman is my guy but really stop complaining about the arbitration and your on line course etc …seriously if you don’t like the Bruins or here just take 2 and be a UFA

The agent though is the problem - he’s leaking shit for public consumption where social media becomes the jury when in a usual negotiation we’ve seen with many Bruins stars, they had no evidence or case to rule on

I’m in the 6/50 camp

I’d offer it and I’d take it

Apparently it’s not in play. Yet

Reactions: Bodit9

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeney screwed the initial offer because the agent said he did lol

I don’t in 12 years remember any other negotiation like this

It’s Gross sleezy style - he did this shit in Toronto

The Bruins responded about their cheapness with the hand selected Rich Keefe to play along that Sway wanted 8:80 10 M per

Donny ‘you think we are cheap? Well your guy is a greedy prick wanting more than McAvoy’

Sway didn’t ask for that at all my understanding but the message was conveyed both of you STFU

Swayman is my guy but really stop complaining about the arbitration and your on line course etc …seriously if you don’t like the Bruins or here just take 2 and be a UFA

The agent though is the problem - he’s leaking shit for public consumption where social media becomes the jury when in a usual negotiation we’ve seen with many Bruins stars, they had no evidence or case to rule on

I’m in the 6/50 camp

I’d offer it and I’d take it

Apparently it’s not in play. Yet
You are right no doubt Sweeney, screwed this up from the beginning, I don't know if assumed he would sign for certain about, If the Ullmark trade changed the strategy, or maybe they had a somewhat agreed number when Ullmark was dealt and as you say, Gross sleazy style changed the deal. I know that might be a stretch, but it is a possibility with this guy's reputation and Sway is very bitter from last year. Bottom line in my opinion start talking to GMs and move on, this relationship sign or no sign, it is not going to get better............. Hockey life will go on with or without Sway

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My bad, all of this is the wrong place

JK played well last night. Didn't have to do much, but didn't botch anything. Nothing negative to report, so I'll take it!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad