Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Has anyone seen Bussi play an NHL game? Not sure how we can predict he's taking a job from Korpi. Korpi I heard laser surgery for vision problem, goalie Bob, top defense. If he is any good, he is in a good spot to reclaim his career.

Bussi might be a late bloomer who just needs a chance and time with the right team, like Tim Thomas. I'd rather keep him in their back pocket then lose him.

I'm also hoping for a Korpi revival. We'll see how it all plays out.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

All eyes are on Joonas Korpisalo.

With Jeremy Swayman without a contract, Korpisalo has skated into the top spot in the Bruins goalie rotation as camp opened Thursday at Warrior Arena.

A nine-year veteran with 276 NHL games under his belt, Korpisalo said Swayman’s situation hasn’t really affected his preparations heading into training camp.
“Not really,” said the Finn, acquired as part of the deal that shipped Linus Ullmark to Ottawa. “I mean, it doesn’t change my job, and quite frankly, I just want to focus on my job, and of course he’s a great guy. I got to work with him before the camp. Great guy, great goalie. So yeah, just focusing on myself.”

As for the opportunity to seize the No. 1 job, Korpisalo doesn’t look far into the future.

“I just go day by day — that’s been my motto for every year,” said Korpisalo, who skated in the morning group Thursday with fellow goalies Michael DiPietro and Nolan Maier. “Of course, you have to look ahead, but right now it’s just head down, put the work in, and get better.”

Part of the job of helping Korpisalo get better will fall to goalie coach Bob Essensa, who has about the best reputation in the NHL when it comes to helping his pupils reach their potential.

“We just had a video session a couple days ago,” said Korpisalo. “The way he thinks about the game, it’s pretty similar [to me] and I think there’s a lot to learn from him.”

Korpisalo knew about the Bruins’ run of Vezina Trophy winners (Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, and Ullmark) but wasn’t aware of Essensa’s influence.

“Not much, but obviously I’ve seen all the Bruins goalies play and I always liked how they play the game,” he said, “and especially I used to look up to Tuukka quite a bit, so he worked with him and just really excited to get over with him.”

Korpisalo also showed off his new black-and-gold helmet, with the paint job by Sylvie Marsolais.

“I’m really happy how it turned out with the golden cage and everything,” he said. “A little sparkle. I love it. My painter, actually I give free hand to her. There’s only a couple of things I wanted on it and she’s really good.”

Competing with Korpisalo is Brandon Bussi, who suited up for a couple of games last year with the varsity but has yet to get into an NHL game.

Bussi, who catches with his right hand, is entering his fourth year in the organization.

“I’m just looking forward to the opportunity and going to try and show my teammates that I believe I’m ready for the next level,” said Bussi. “Whether that happens or not time will tell, but I’m going to work my hardest to try and make that a reality.”

Bussi signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Bruins just hours before the Ullmark trade on June 24. He said he was unaware of the impending move but “it wouldn’t have changed anything,” he said.

Bussi said Essensa’s message to the group was a simple one: “I think it’s just go out there, give it your best, earn everything. I think that’s the Bruin model and I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

1726790196882.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad