Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

At about the 32 minute mark, three prominent local Bruins writers talk about Korpisalo. They pull no punches in admitting it is a negative value contract the Bruins were willing to take to get the first rounder, but it is a bad contract that the Bruins would love not to have.

I post this to provide perspective for all the posters on here who think the Korpi aquisition was a great move by Sweeney and that it’s all part of the plan for Goalie Bob to turn him into a great goalie. These writers tend to look on the bright side with everything the Bruins do (important for beat writers to have a good relationship with the team) and even they have to tell it like it is in this case.

Quite a few of us this offseason have said that taking Korpi was the cost of getting into the 1st round - it's just a question of whether or not you agreed with the price paid.

And while I agree that taking Korpi was more forced than a choice, the team could also still believe that the risk of taking that contract is minimized by having a goalie coach like Bob

• Haha
Reactions: HustleB and Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Quite a few of us this offseason have said that taking Korpi was the cost of getting into the 1st round - it's just a question of whether or not you agreed with the price paid.

And while I agree that taking Korpi was more forced than a choice, the team could also still believe that the risk of taking that contract is minimized by having a goalie coach like Bob

Does that not also imply that wasting 3m on a backup when you have Goalie Bob around to boost them is the better play?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

At about the 32 minute mark, three prominent local Bruins writers talk about Korpisalo. They pull no punches in admitting it is a negative value contract the Bruins were willing to take to get the first rounder, but it is a bad contract that the Bruins would love not to have.

I post this to provide perspective for all the posters on here who think the Korpi aquisition was a great move by Sweeney and that it’s all part of the plan for Goalie Bob to turn him into a great goalie. These writers tend to look on the bright side with everything the Bruins do (important for beat writers to have a good relationship with the team) and even they have to tell it like it is in this case.

are there people saying this? I feel like the vast majority of people were mad at the return from the Ullmark trade and thought taking on Kori was bad. Being optimistic that goalie Bob can get more out of him doesn't change any of that.

Reactions: HustleB

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What? I don't follow how that is what I implied

Goalie bob = great
Korpi = overpaid

While I think korpisalo will do fine in boston, he won't provide positive value on his deal and goalie bob could probably get similar results out of a lesser paid goal tender.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Has anyone seen Bussi play an NHL game? Not sure how we can predict he's taking a job from Korpi. Korpi I heard laser surgery for vision problem, goalie Bob, top defense. If he is any good, he is in a good spot to reclaim his career.

Reactions: PB37

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Goalie bob = great
Korpi = overpaid

While I think korpisalo will do fine in boston, he won't provide positive value on his deal and goalie bob could probably get similar results out of a lesser paid goal tender.
Yeah I agree with this, I'm just not sure how I implied the better option was taking on a bad contract.

The options were likely:

- Get a 1st and take Korpi
- Get a 2nd or less and don't take Korpi and go with Bussi
- Keep Ullmark

All I'm saying in my first post is that the team likely preferred taking the 1st and taking a chance they can get some decent play from Korpi because of Bob/their team D - I wasn't implying that the same couldn't be done to another cheaper goalie and this was the best option.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah I agree with this, I'm just not sure how I implied the better option was taking on a bad contract.

The options were likely:

- Get a 1st and take Korpi
- Get a 2nd or less and don't take Korpi and go with Bussi
- Keep Ullmark

All I'm saying in my first post is that the team likely preferred taking the 1st and taking a chance they can get some decent play from Korpi because of Bob/their team D - I wasn't implying that the same couldn't be done to another cheaper goalie and this was the best option.

Option 3 is probably best, but just like the Seguin trade they talked themselves up so much something had to happen they took the ‘best’ offer

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

The issue isn’t so much Korpi’s AAV, it is the term and the AAV. 4 more years at $3M. The guy will be 34 at expiry.

That’s a brutal contract for a guy coming off the worst season statistically for a starter last season. Ullmark had a lot of positive value. They took on Korpi’s contract which has a lot of negative value. Those two elements should combine for something much better than a late first in a draft where picks from about 20 to 50 were equally weighted. You only give up ullmark and take on a terrible contract like Korpi’s for a top 10 pick. The Bruins got fleeced. Honest/realistic Bruins fans admit this. Every sens fan celebrates it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The issue isn’t so much Korpi’s AAV, it is the term and the AAV. 4 more years at $3M. The guy will be 34 at expiry.

That’s a brutal contract for a guy coming off the worst season statistically for a starter last season. Ullmark had a lot of positive value. They took on Korpi’s contract which has a lot of negative value. Those two elements should combine for something much better than a late first in a draft where picks from about 20 to 50 were equally weighted. You only give up ullmark and take on a terrible contract like Korpi’s for a top 10 pick. The Bruins got fleeced. Honest/realistic Bruins fans admit this. Every sens fan celebrates it.
Well I guess I'm not realistic for not saying that the Bruins got fleeced, I'll make sure to rag on them a bit more next time.

It's a bad contract, but it can be buried and I'm going to be happy with a much needed 1st rounder injected into our prospect pool.

Don't forget, while Ullmark has value, UFAs to be have less value than usual, and there's a very real possibility Sens gave up a 1st and Kastelic just to get rid of that contract and get 1 year of Ullmark. Very similar to what we did to get rid of Backes' contract.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Well I guess I'm not realistic for not saying that the Bruins got fleeced, I'll make sure to rag on them a bit more next time.

It's a bad contract, but it can be buried and I'm going to be happy with a much needed 1st rounder injected into our prospect pool.

Don't forget, while Ullmark has value, UFAs to be have less value than usual, and there's a very real possibility Sens gave up a 1st and Kastelic just to get rid of that contract and get 1 year of Ullmark. Very similar to what we did to get rid of Backes' contract.
Considering people are complaining they don't want to pay Swayman x amount, this contract is much more of a hinderance on the Bruins the next four years over the plus of Letourneau added to the pool. Add in the fact they traded Ullmark and you have a huge net loss for the foreseeable future.

I guess that's where I am stuck, fans and the Bruins seemingly don't want to "overpay" for their franchise netminder but have no issues giving 3mil per to a stiff.

Reactions: Kalus

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Considering people are complaining they don't want to pay Swayman x amount, this contract is much more of a hinderance on the Bruins the next four years over the plus of Letourneau added to the pool. Add in the fact they traded Ullmark and you have a huge net loss for the foreseeable future.

I guess that's where I am stuck, fans and the Bruins seemingly don't want to "overpay" for their franchise netminder but have no issues giving 3mil per to a stiff.
I'd prefer to not pay Korpi either, but I'm not going to get too worked up over something that has already happened and we cannot change. Best to just let it play out at this point. Thankfully we are approaching the start of the season and hopefully some more exciting conversations are to come.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If Bussi looks good good but not great during pre-season I'm curious if Boston would waive Korpisalo and give Bussi a look at the NHL level. Korpisalo likely wouldn't get claimed and they would just have him stay up with the Bruins. He could continue to practice and travel with the team, build relationships with the guys and get settled in. If Providence has a home series and the Bruins aren't on the road, Korpisalo could swing down and play in a 1-2 games.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Goalie bob = great
Korpi = overpaid

I think Korpi is not necessarily overpaid at 3 m. I think it’s the term which is problematic on the deal. With that said. I didn’t love the deal but I think many are really overstating how bad it is.

We won’t know right away but the answer will come. I won’t stress unless this guy is buried in Providence hitting our cap 4 years and not contributing in Boston. It’s possible that happens. It’s also possible he is a good backup here for years. It’s possible he is traded and it’s possible that we have to pay someone to take him. My judgement will depend on what is to come.

If Bussi looks good good but not great during pre-season I'm curious if Boston would waive Korpisalo and give Bussi a look at the NHL level. Korpisalo likely wouldn't get claimed and they would just have him stay up with the Bruins. He could continue to practice and travel with the team, build relationships with the guys and get settled in. If Providence has a home series and the Bruins aren't on the road, Korpisalo could swing down and play in a 1-2 games.
I think if both backups play well the Bruins would waive Korpisalo on the off chance that a team might claim him. It also would allow him to play extensively in Providence so that he and goalie Bob could work through the holes in Korpisalo’s game.

Reactions: NDiesel

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
A lot of the local Boston writers are speculating that this will be the approach Boston takes. That tells you all you need to know about the Korpi acquisition; that everybody in hockey knows nobody would claim the guy if he was waived right after the Bruins acquired him and before he plays a single game. Yikes.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
A lot of the local Boston writers are speculating that this will be the approach Boston takes. That tells you all you need to know about the Korpi acquisition; that everybody in hockey knows nobody would claim the guy if he was waived right after the Bruins acquired him and before he plays a single game. Yikes.
Speaking of a single game - Bussi is 26 years old and hasn't played a single game in the NHL yet.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
His career save % is .901. The NHL average last season was .903. He, and Forsberg, both had bad years in front of a bad Ottawa team last season. But, I'd wager he is closer to the average whatever NHL goalie that his career implies rather than the season in Ottawa.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Speaking of a single game - Bussi is 26 years old and hasn't played a single game in the NHL yet.

Beyond baffling having this take. He was sitting behind swayman and Ullmark the past three season. One was a young and upcoming all star, the other won a Vezina/had a relatively hard contract to move.

Probably the single hardest goalie situation to overcome in decades.

Korpisalo would also have spent the last three seasons in the AHL if he was behind Swayman and Ullmark.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I do not expect Donny will send his new goalie down. Maybe if Bussi is lights out all camp, even then I doubt it. He will have to pass through waivers, cross your fingers now.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I do not expect Donny will send his new goalie down. Maybe if Bussi is lights out all camp, even then I doubt it. He will have to pass through waivers, cross your fingers now.
Not sure what makes you think this. Sweeney has shown numerous times throughout his tenure here of sending veteran guys down who don’t perform up to standards or get out-played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad