Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I'm giving Sweens the benefit of the doubt that he simply mis-spoke and was trying to say something other than what came out. However I also think there's plenty of evidence out there to suggest he's not past straight up lying when it suits.

There's video - it's in post #61 of this thread. Sweeney literally said "Bob did a lot of work with Joonas when he played his best hockey in LA". Offseason theory doesn't work because Korpisalo only joined the Kings mid-season and left after that playoffs. So just a real head-scratcher.
He probably meant that Bob watched game tape of his LA time.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He probably meant that Bob watched game tape of his LA time.

That's a quite possible explanation. Whatever the truth I think it's undoubted than Essensa has seen something in JK he thinks he can work with - I can't imagine the trade went down without his input - so we just have to wait and see the results.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Pnly
Only 3 million backup most backup go for this price. Risk reward is high. Plays well and maybe get a draft pick for him on deadline.
I mean you do know there are only 2 backups that make more than Korpi right? One is in a tandem and the other is Spencer Knight. When I say more, it's more than the 3 million. If we go off the 4 mil, only Knight makes more.

It is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age to have a 3 million dollar cap hit when you have a 25 year old franchise guy about to make north of 8 mil more than likely.

23rd ranked goalie salary in the entire NHL.

Reactions: Kalus and Sevendust

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Many less games should reduce that injury threat.

When Ottawa signed him I thought he was a reasonable mid level goalie signing that would give them some stability. He was not, but I do wonder if some of it was the fault of the Ottawa D and how they play.

I have faith in goalie Bob. People need to remember that when Sweeney signed Ullmark a lot of eyebrows were raised and many people said overpay for a mid level guy and when he started more jumped onto that negative bandwagon as he had some adjustment issues. But then apparently goalie Bob got him to make a few changes and he got a Vezina so have faith in goalie Bob.
Sens fan here coming in peace. Korpi made some outstanding saves but the stinkers he let in from the point were killers. It came out at the end of the season that he had some eyesight issues and his helmet needed to be adjusted to provide better sightlines. I believe he was getting his helmet and eyes fixed in the off-season. I also think that your goalie coach will improve his game and the solid defensive play in front of him will also help. He'll also be the backup, not the starter. Last year, between him and Forsberg, they let in a goal on the 1st or 2nd shot of the game 22 times, most of them softies. Hard to win when starting so many games from behind. I wish him all the best in Boston.

As for Ullmark coming to Ottawa, our GM has made some changes to our blueline and added a new coaching staff that will instill better play without the puck and in the defensive zone so it should help Ullmark. I think this trade will work out well for both teams.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Sure, and a lot of the posters who are now fine with 25th overall, a part time 4th liner and a 3 year cap dump were saying that Ullmark for Necas was a thing. I think everyone was off on Ullmark's value, including Sweeney.
As a Sens fan, I can relate. We thought Chychrun had more value but we got a RD with 2 years left on his contract (Nick Jensen) and a 3rd round pick when we traded him to Washington. We now realize Dorion overpaid when he acquired him from the Yotes. Thank god Dorion isn't with the club anymore, worst GM ever.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I mean you do know there are only 2 backups that make more than Korpi right? One is in a tandem and the other is Spencer Knight. When I say more, it's more than the 3 million. If we go off the 4 mil, only Knight makes more.

It is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age to have a 3 million dollar cap hit when you have a 25 year old franchise guy about to make north of 8 mil more than likely.

Ok average is like 2 million for a backup and bruins paying 1 million more . I ain't jumping off a cliff from this deal. I have a feeling korpi earns it and proves himself this year. Let's see what magic goalie bob has up his sleeve.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

33rd at what Bostons paying, no? Will be 34th when Swayman signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldenblack

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Ok average is like 2 million for a backup and bruins paying 1 million more . I ain't jumping off a cliff from this deal. I have a feeling korpi earns it and proves himself this year. Let's see what magic goalie bob has up his sleeve.
The cap hit is bad but the bigger issue is the term. The fact there are four more years to go at that cap hit is the tough part.

Reactions: NDiesel

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The cap hit is bad but the bigger issue is the term. The fact there are four more years to go at that cap hit is the tough part.
Not sure I follow. That 3 mil will eat up less and less of their total cap percentage wise year after year. If he ends up being a decent backup the contract will be better and better each year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I wish my family was as loyal to me as you guys are the Bruins management :)

Korpi will do better and at 3 mil or about 2 mil more than Bussi would have been able to do as well.

Magic goalie Bob should me able to do the same with cheaper no?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sam my butcher asked me if Korpisalo is the worst goalie in the NHL????

‘Wha……Sam you sham! He was a star for Torts Blue Jax and an All Star in 20 or 21’

So sad that I’m the only one who stands by him

But then again I’ve been called Mr Bruins and I’m ready to live up to this honor

Korpi with Goalie Czar will get Korpi back to his All Star self at 3 M

Thank you Donny & Goalie Czar Bob

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
No idea, but it came from Sweeney

“Joonas has been a high-level goaltender,” Sweeney told reporters, per team-provided video. “(Goaltending coach) Bob (Essensa) did a lot of work with Joonas when he played his best hockey in LA
He was very good at times with Columbus- I watched him when he was here to play and he was pretty acrobatic

He made the AS team and was at the top of the league in a lot of stats before he got hurt

He displaced Bob….shutout the Leafs multiple times in the playoffs beating them and was best player on Columbus in loss to Tampa who won the Cup

You folks are probably nice enough people but come on…..watch some other teams games beyond the Bruins

This guy was good - he ended up in a ehit storm where team sold, everyone fired, injured, or decided not to back check or give a full effort

This will be a steal by Donny

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
He was very good at times with Columbus- I watched him when he was here to play and he was pretty acrobatic

He made the AS team and was at the top of the league in a lot of stats before he got hurt

He displaced Bob….shutout the Leafs multiple times in the playoffs beating them and was best player on Columbus in loss to Tampa who won the Cup

You folks are probably nice enough people but come on…..watch some other teams games beyond the Bruins

This guy was good - he ended up in a ehit storm where team sold, everyone fired, injured, or decided not to back check or give a full effort

This I can agree on, good post!

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This I can agree on, good post!
He’s a tad overpaid but 3 M for a guy who’s 29 who’s played in the playoffs and won games and has shutouts as well in playoffs

When Korpi played for Torts behind

Seth Jones - Werenski

Gavrikov - David Savard

He was really good - made ASG beat a powerful Leafs team and kept them in the TB series

When he played behind LAK defense

Same which got him in 5/20 albeit one or two years to long

He like Forsberg the other Ottawa G sucked

Both sucked & both had been good

It take Billy Jaffee to figure out a major reason

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Game clincher in playoffs Korpi second time shuts out Leafs of Matthews, Taveras, Nylander, and Marner

Attachments

• IMG_7204.png
    IMG_7204.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: NDiesel

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Lol I barley have time to watch the Bruins. The older I get the more I realize what matter most to me (and it's not dedicating my life to watching sports). With that said, I think I'm one of the few who've been fine with Korpi since the trade went down. He's spent most of his career on bad teams. When he finally was put on a good defensive team, he played well. I think he could put up similar numbers to what Ullmark did in years 1 & 3 in Boston.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No offense, if they didn't have Korpi and they announced that Bussi was going to be the backup... I "have a feeling" that you'd say "I have a feeling that Bussi will be a capable backup."

Why doesn't Goalie Bob have magic up his sleeve to make Bussi a capable backup?

Sam my butcher asked me if Korpisalo is the worst goalie in the NHL????

‘Wha……Sam you sham! He was a star for Torts Blue Jax and an All Star in 20 or 21’

So sad that I’m the only one who stands by him

But then again I’ve been called Mr Bruins and I’m ready to live up to this honor

Korpi with Goalie Czar will get Korpi back to his All Star self at 3 M

Thank you Donny & Goalie Czar Bob
You can have him for a 4th rd pick.

If you believe in him, that's a cheap price.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Korpi behind e/ Columbus

Seth Jones - Werenski
Gavrikov - Savard

ASG selection & shuts out Toronto 2X in playoffs

Roy - Doughty
Walker - Durzi

2.13 GAA 923 SV

Goalie Wizard Bob will get him back to All Star form

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Korpisalo is one year away from putting up a .914% over 39 games between Columbus and LA. The league average was .904 that year. If he can get back to those numbers he’s basically replacing what Ullmark gave you last season at a cheaper price. His playoff numbers are also substantially better than Ullmark’s.

Reactions: Over the volcano

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
No offense, if they didn't have Korpi and they announced that Bussi was going to be the backup... I "have a feeling" that you'd say "I have a feeling that Bussi will be a capable backup."

Why doesn't Goalie Bob have magic up his sleeve to make Bussi a capable backup?

You can have him for a 4th rd pick.

If you believe in him, that's a cheap price.
I think people are forgetting there is zero chance the Bruins wanted Korpisalo and were made to take him back, Now it's hope for the best, I'm not even sure he will beat Bussi out. I am sure either will be good with this structure and talent, seems sily to actively want a 3 million dollar backup, which obviously they did not.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad