Joonas Korpisalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I wonder why people are talking about how it would help (??) playing in the AHL. He clearly seems to be NHL level already. AHL will just drag him backwards, facing low quality shots ect all year long compared to NHL. If he plays like an top tier starter in NHL, there is no reason to send him to AHL.

Agreed, zero reason to have him in the minors. He's an NHL goalie now.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
Yeah, I think it's time to cut the cord on McElhinney. Waive him, if he clears he can go to the AHL as insurance next year if Bob gets hurt, Korpisalo struggles, or both. Korpisalo should be the 'backup' to Bob. Best case scenario is that it creates a Luongo-Schneider situation. Worst case, Bob gets hurt, Korpisalo struggles, McE gets hurt, and Forsberg-Dansk becomes our tandem.

Meaning Columbus finishes 30th, Edmonton wins the lottery and we draft 4th.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yeah, I think it's time to cut the cord on McElhinney. Waive him, if he clears he can go to the AHL as insurance next year if Bob gets hurt, Korpisalo struggles, or both. Korpisalo should be the 'backup' to Bob. Best case scenario is that it creates a Luongo-Schneider situation. Worst case, Bob gets hurt, Korpisalo struggles, McE gets hurt, and Forsberg-Dansk becomes our tandem.

As of today, even if bob were to be healthy, no way he comes in and takes the number one job back. Ride korpisalo and let him continue to get experience . To me, he looks to be the better goaltender . Bob is known to be stellar at times, yet when he allows a goal, he seems to have quite a few times where he has a mental collapse , and allows multiple goals . Korpi, as the season has went on, appears to be like the great corners in the nhl. If he gets beat, that play is over , and he competes every play. If korpi continues to looks as dominant as he has, i would look to unload bobs huge cap hit. Even with some groin injuries, there is no doubt teams would be intrested in trading for him. I would be interested as a gm, as to what type of return I could get for bob . I'm not saying this spring necessarily. But I would ride korpi, rest of year, and if he continues play like this, he's the number one goalie going into camp. Competition would benefit bob as well .

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
16 games...way too early to be definite about where he belongs...Jody said it best last night, when bob/cmac come back, send Joonas down and tell him to go lead the Monsters as far as he can and put the pressure on him to see if he can do it...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
16 games...way too early to be definite about where he belongs...Jody said it best last night, when bob/cmac come back, send Joonas down and tell him to go lead the Monsters as far as he can and put the pressure on him to see if he can do it...

Why in the world would we do that ? As long as hes not struggling, but rather continuing to be dominant, he should play the majority of the rest of our games. Once Lake Erie gets in the playoffs, send him down for the playoff run. This season is shot, and if he continues to excel at the nhl level, let him get the experience now. Why wait until the beginning of next season, and whether he starts as the #1, or fills in in game 3 after bob twerks his groin again . As long as hes not struggling, let him play against the best competition there is.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
because he's young and it wouldn't be terrible for his development to be able to experience playoff hockey on some level? Because eventually teams are going to learn his tendencies and pick him apart and going back down gives him a chance to round out his game against players of the same age that if he's truly that good, he'll gain even more confidence?

there are like 20 reasons that would be good for him...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Actually, he's gotten better the MORE he plays in the NHL. Maybe he is figuring out the NHL faster than the other way around.

If you've proven to the best option in the NHL, going down to the AHL will hurt his development.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Goalies need to be playing games to continue developing. When Bob and even McBackup come back, Korpi needs to be playing. The AHL is the only option then.

There's nothing about the AHL that is going to hurt his development. In the AHL there's players with NHL caliber shots and offensive skill that aren't in the NHL because they lack other skills.

Hopefully the Monsters can make the AHL playoffs and that will be a terrific experience for Korpi against top AHL teams in a playoff environment.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Bob isn't coming back this year, and when CMac comes back, he should back up Korpi in Columbus. No reason to play CMac, other than tanking.

Start Korpi 75% of the time in Columbus and then when the playoffs start, send him back to LE.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Bob isn't coming back this year, and when CMac comes back, he should back up Korpi in Columbus. No reason to play CMac, other than tanking.

Start Korpi 75% of the time in Columbus and then when the playoffs start, send him back to LE.

I'm on board with this 100%.

Slightly offtopic, but the team should bring up Brad Thiessen to play a game in the NHL as a "thank you" for holding down the fort in LE and doing a hell of a job keeping that team in a playoff spot.

GAA=1.70 SV%= 0.934 W-L= 7-2-2

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009

There might be another option in store for him once the Jackets' season winds down. Namely, the Worlds.

It's Jarmo making the call, so that ups the odds of a positive response if they ask him to release Korpisalo for NT duty.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Slightly offtopic, but the team should bring up Brad Thiessen to play a game in the NHL as a "thank you" for holding down the fort in LE and doing a hell of a job keeping that team in a playoff spot.

While Thiessen might be doing better than Forsberg would be, signing Thiessen and sending Forsberg down to get some games in wouldn't be a bad idea.

I don't think Thiessen is signed with the Jackets. He has a deal with Lake Erie. So the questions would be how many contracts the Jackets have.

But Lake Erie's goaltending is fairly solid with aged-out prospects Thiessen and Mark in Da Park and they'll probably leave things as they are.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
While Thiessen might be doing better than Forsberg would be, signing Thiessen and sending Forsberg down to get some games in wouldn't be a bad idea.

I don't think Thiessen is signed with the Jackets. He has a deal with Lake Erie. So the questions would be how many contracts the Jackets have.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Poor guy. I just added him to my fantasy teams. My goalies historically don't do well. My part in the tank. :sarcasm::laugh:

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Tampere
Hi yall I've watched Korpisalo's career a long time and when he solidified himself to Ilves no-1 goalie I was 100% sure he'll make it to NHL. Whattya say is the prospectpool on goalies with you. I know Bob is nro1 (still) but after that its a whole another ballgame. Do you still own the rights of that Latvian kid ? Elvis or sum.... And whattya think is the ceiling for Forsberg. And lastly what kind of AAV and years would ya sign Joonas If he continues to play like this (even remotely close).

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Hi yall I've watched Korpisalo's career a long time and when he solidified himself to Ilves no-1 goalie I was 100% sure he'll make it to NHL. Whattya say is the prospectpool on goalies with you. I know Bob is nro1 (still) but after that its a whole another ballgame. Do you still own the rights of that Latvian kid ? Elvis or sum.... And whattya think is the ceiling for Forsberg. And lastly what kind of AAV and years would ya sign Joonas If he continues to play like this (even remotely close).

He's clearly solidified himself as the #1 prospect goalie with no question. Him, then Forsberg, then Elvis (yes, we still have his rights), then Dansk. Forsberg's ceiling could be a starting goalie, but he's been shaky outside of one shootout/OT in his NHL career. So who knows with him. With Korpisalo's next deal, we can pump the breaks there, its year one of his 3 year ELC. Lots of time left.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's clearly solidified himself as the #1 prospect goalie with no question. Him, then Forsberg, then Elvis (yes, we still have his rights), then Dansk. Forsberg's ceiling could be a starting goalie, but he's been shaky outside of one shootout/OT in his NHL career. So who knows with him. With Korpisalo's next deal, we can pump the breaks there, its year one of his 3 year ELC. Lots of time left.

According to capfriendly.com its year 2 but your point still stands, there is time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He has now played enough games to qualify in the league leaders and is 11th in the NHL in save percentage

If nothing else we seem to be in for a few years of goalie controversy. Will give us something to talk about.

The thing that seems different about him to me is that he looks very comfortable making saves. If I remember correctly Calder Mase was doing the Hasek flop quite often never to be repeated.

We Want Ten

Johnny Gaudreau
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
As of today, even if bob were to be healthy, no way he comes in and takes the number one job back. Ride korpisalo and let him continue to get experience . To me, he looks to be the better goaltender . Bob is known to be stellar at times, yet when he allows a goal, he seems to have quite a few times where he has a mental collapse , and allows multiple goals . Korpi, as the season has went on, appears to be like the great corners in the nhl. If he gets beat, that play is over , and he competes every play. If korpi continues to looks as dominant as he has, i would look to unload bobs huge cap hit. Even with some groin injuries, there is no doubt teams would be intrested in trading for him. I would be interested as a gm, as to what type of return I could get for bob . I'm not saying this spring necessarily. But I would ride korpi, rest of year, and if he continues play like this, he's the number one goalie going into camp. Competition would benefit bob as well .

I don't think I have ever disagreed more with a post on HF than this one.

I get people are loving the kid, but some need to seriously pump the brakes on this hype train.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
He isnt the first, and he wont be the last rookie goaltender to play really well. If there's any weaknesses, they'll be found by next year. He's having a good season, but we'll see how he does next season, hopefully he's the real deal

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Would it be reasonable to think the FO would be comfortable with Korpi as the NHL backup next season. If that's the case, could we see C-Mac getting a few starts to see if they can generate some trade interest in him so they can unload the one year left on his contract?

Or is that pie in the sky and the team will simply have to eat his contract for next year to move Korpi up?

Side note: I am thinking about going to the game in Boston on Monday but am far less excited if C-Mac is in goal and it could be the decision maker for me as to whether I spend the money. Bruins tix ain't cheap!

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
But why have Korpi at backup seeing little action when he can be down playing every day...not sure sitting for 50 games is good for him...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
But why have Korpi at backup seeing little action when he can be down playing every day...not sure sitting for 50 games is good for him...

I think you can develop a goalie on 30 games. 20 would be a problem.

I think the bigger issue is going to be that the team wants to win, so there's no reason to have Korpi anywhere but in Columbus. Cmac can get moved, though it might take a little retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad