Jonathan Quick

Ron*

How lucky are we to have this guy?

I grew up watching Rogie Vachon play. Rogie Vachon was an incredible goaltender.

Rogie Vachon has nothing, absolutely nothing on this guy. I don't know how else to put Quick on a pedestal, but for those of you who also saw Vachon, a guy who should have been inducted in the HOF years ago, you know exactly what I am talking about.

We have been fortunate in Los Angeles to have some very good goaltenders (and one we let get away, a guy who IS in the HOF, Billy Smith). This guy is the best and a future HOFer.

I absolutely cannot believe some of the saves this guy makes. I attend all the home games and I always expect the damn puck to end up in the net...he absolutely robs some players of goals. And he is so consistent about it.

I watch Quick in warm-ups. Man, is he fast with those crab-like movements. I don't see any other goaltender work out as hard as he does, even in warm-ups.

He is absolutely a special player. He has made all the difference in the last four seasons.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
We should enjoy him while we can. By his own admission, his style of play is brutal on the body.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Reporter to Quick "Should kids start to emulate your style ?"

Quick "No, they would end up in the hospital".

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
Reporter to Quick "Should kids start to emulate your style ?"

Quick "No, they would end up in the hospital".

:laugh:

Yeah, but you already know he's changing the goalie position the way other great goalies have over the years. Kids want to emulate the greats, the champions. I expect to see future goalies years from now adopting his style. :nod:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
TSN crew brought up that the last time a goalie put up numbers like Quick's the past two playoff years was Dominik Hasek. That's a damn good class of goaltending to be ranked along with.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
What I love is how people say you should simply shoot high on Quick, but that's kind of the trick, his style actually takes away the high shot. When he can move freely in his crease, he moves forward to cut down the angle of what would otherwise be a high shot, changing it to a body shot and smothering it. Even when he's crowded in the crease, to keep him from being as aggressive, he has superb vision and keeps the low points safe and is great at finding deflected shots and others that skip in between the bodies. At that point he is vulnerable high because he can't cut down the angle.

Thing is, with all of this taken into account, the rest of his team covers for him when he gets exposed.

It's not a wonder that Quick always thanks his team first before taking any credit. And I give the Kings organization a lot of credit for using a system that allows them to exploit Quick's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

What we saw a lot of early in the season was his recovery(can't be as aggressive) and new defensemen learning how to play in front of him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
What I love is how people say you should simply shoot high on Quick, but that's kind of the trick, his style actually takes away the high shot. When he can move freely in his crease, he moves forward to cut down the angle of what would otherwise be a high shot, changing it to a body shot and smothering it. Even when he's crowded in the crease, to keep him from being as aggressive, he has superb vision and keeps the low points safe and is great at finding deflected shots and others that skip in between the bodies. At that point he is vulnerable high because he can't cut down the angle.

Thing is, with all of this taken into account, the rest of his team covers for him when he gets exposed.

It's not a wonder that Quick always thanks his team first before taking any credit. And I give the Kings organization a lot of credit for using a system that allows them to exploit Quick's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

What we saw a lot of early in the season was his recovery(can't be as aggressive) and new defensemen learning how to play in front of him.

Quick is actually pretty smart, might be the most cerebral goalie in the league right now.

Quick said he studied angles a lot((in the mayors interview), and the puck still has to travel trough the center ice at some point, even elevated (unless it's perfect under the crossbar).

So that's why quick still gets a lot of pucks that are elevated.

You literally need a perfect shot up top for Quick to not get a piece of it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What I love is how people say you should simply shoot high on Quick, but that's kind of the trick, his style actually takes away the high shot.

People always say shoot high on a goaltender. And then when it doesn't work, you shoot at his feet to produce rebounds.

Quick is establishing himself as the best goaltender in the league, and now he's got a Game 7 in his pocket. Think another one might be in the offing though.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
We should enjoy him while we can. By his own admission, his style of play is brutal on the body.

When he says that, he's usually talking about other people emulating him, right? If I did a split like the 1 he does every five seconds, I would tear my groin in a heartbeat. But he's got great flexibility and his body will adjust to his style of play. Maybe mid thirties, I would start to worry but not now. I used to know a guy who could do a split and beyond. I'd imagine Quick could probably do the same thing. Pretty crazy.

There is a reason that Quick believes that the most important thing about goaltending is taking care of your defenseman. You will see players behind Quick while aggressively comes out of his net. If the D isn't there to take them out of the play, he's screwed. But with the defense once again playing in tune to Quick's style, the shooter has no choice but to take the shot and 99.9% of the time, Quick is going to stop it.

But his ability to go from side to side is just incredible as well as his IQ when it comes to cutting off angles. As someone who has loved goalies my whole life, I have never been able to watch a goalie like this on my own team. I always yell Jonathan or Quick every time I see a tough shot go off like I expect him to come in to save the day and he always does. :laugh:

Sydor25

LA Kings
Puck handling behind the net is his only weakness. He's improved from when he first came up, but he is good for at least one heart-attack inducing play per game.

If his back can hold up for the next 5-6 years, the Kings should have more playoff series wins in their future.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
the post game on NBCSN they started to tag him as the best in the game right now. there has and always will be the east coast slant but JQ is putting up numbers that can't be ignored. he is winning games on the big stage, the games that mean the most.

the networks and the east coast media can swoon all over Henrik, but i will take JQ on my team each and every time.

imo what hurt his 'standing' right now is this season's performance after coming off a vezina candidate season last year, conn smythe winner and SC champion his numbers weren't very good. i think he kind of fell off people's radar.

personally i think he should have won the league MVP last season, because without him LA doesn't make the playoffs and win the Cup. that had more impact than Malkin's effort and essentially carrying PIT on his back while Sid was out. PIT didn't do **** in the playoffs. LA won the Cup. no Quick, no Cup. easy answer

unless you watch a lot of Kings hockey you just don't grasp what he brings to the team and his individual performance. he is the best player on the team and each time he steps out there LA can win. to many people rely entirely on stats to drive their assessment of players, but relying exclusively on this you miss the intangibles a player brings on the ice.

JQ's compete level is unfailing and unquestionable. his physical gifts are simply amazing. his 'game' control is terrific and is only getting better, like last night with 5-seconds left and playing the save to avoid the faceoff. his only downfall is his stick work outside of the net. he takes over games on a regular basis. he is the reason that LA feels comfortable sitting back the way they do and look to counter. on the flip side he is the reason we Kings fans are left many times biting our nails on the edge of our seats.

i can't imagine practicing against the guy. it wouldn't surprise me if some of the Kings shooting woes are attributable to him. they may be trying so hard to pick clean corners and angles they shoot wide to often.

i wasn't old enough to see Rogie play, back then LA just never made it on TV back in the midwest. i saw a bit of B Smith growing up. i saw a few games at times of Dryden. i saw a lot of Roy, Hasek and Brodeur obviously. at this point i would without question rate JQ along any of these guys.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
TSN crew brought up that the last time a goalie put up numbers like Quick's the past two playoff years was Dominik Hasek. That's a damn good class of goaltending to be ranked along with.

And like Hasek, Quick tends to play an unconventional style.

Although if I remember correctly, Hasek used to play very deep in his net, while Quick likes to come way out of his net.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
We may be witnessing a generational talent, but it's still too early to tell. It's not too early to tell that we have one of the best if not the best goalie in the league.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Shows you that goaltending is so important.

Elite goaltending even more so.

Thankful for Quick.

This is exactly why I have a hard time seeing the Penguins, with Vokoun, go all the way. I understand Pittsburgh can score in bunches and when you have a 5 goal lead, you can put Cechmanek in net. Pittsburgh will struggle vs Boston, they're a much better defensive team than both the Islanders & Sens and play a hard checking team. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston won in 5-6. Goaltending is huge in the playoffs, does anyone know when the last time a team won the cup without a solid goaltender? Your goalie has to steal games for you here & there, Quick has definitely done that for us over the past 4 years in the playoffs.

Sydor25

LA Kings
This is exactly why I have a hard time seeing the Penguins, with Vokoun, go all the way. I understand Pittsburgh can score in bunches and when you have a 5 goal lead, you can put Cechmanek in net. Pittsburgh will struggle vs Boston, they're a much better defensive team than both the Islanders & Sens and play a hard checking team. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston won in 5-6. Goaltending is huge in the playoffs, does anyone know when the last time a team won the cup without a solid goaltender? Your goalie has to steal games for you here & there, Quick has definitely done that for us over the past 4 years in the playoffs.

Boston will show if Vokoun is for real this post season, I don't think Ottawa was a real test for him, but he does have a 0.941 SV% in the playoffs in front of a weak defense. Quick leads at 0.948%.

Pittsburgh won with Fleury and Chicago won with Niemi. Niemi had a 2.63 GAA and 0.910 SV% when Chicago won the Cup. Fleury had a 2.61 GAA and 0.908 SV% when Pittsburgh won the Cup. Fleury was acutally better the year Pittsburgh lost the Cup final against Detroit.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
I think it's funny how some people on the mainboards (yes I know it's the mainboards *sigh*) still try and not give Quick ANY credit. Yes it's true. They'll say things like, "If you shoot high on him, he's just average." or "X player shot the puck into his body/glove/stick/leg pad/chest." It's so ****ing Pejorative Slured the things people say.

Yes, isn't it the job of the goalie to stop the puck? Isn't it also the job of the opposing players to score? Isn't it also the job of the goalie to be in a position to make the save? Therefore, doesn't it follow if the player shoots the puck into the goalie, was it not the goalie's effort that made that possible? Night after night, having the players hit the goalie with shots could not possibly be the goalie's hard work or talent. The only thing it could be is the mystical nature of great players in the league become mediocre pond hockey kids whenever they shoot at Quick. And when one of these same opposing teams do score, somehow it invalidates the claim that Quick is a great goaltender. All the while, none of these people ever bother to check the ******* goaltending league leader boards for the playoffs the past 2 consecutive years!!!!!!!

Un-****ing-believable! :facepalm:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
How about this ****ing goaltender? Just an unreal talent. I tell myself after every game (and especially theat game last night) that I'm watching history.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
personally i think he should have won the league MVP last season, because without him LA doesn't make the playoffs and win the Cup. that had more impact than Malkin's effort and essentially carrying PIT on his back while Sid was out. PIT didn't do **** in the playoffs. LA won the Cup. no Quick, no Cup. easy answer

While I agree that Quick should've at least been in the top 3, especially over Stamkos, the Hart Trophy has nothing to do with what is done in the playoffs. That is what the Conn Smythe is for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad