Value of: Jonathan Quick at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Quick at 50% retention is a $2.9 million cap hit. There are 31 other goalies in the league with a higher cap hit than Quick at 50%. Pittsburgh would save $600,000 in cap space trading Jarry, as just one example.

If I'm LA though, I'm not interested in just giving Quick away. As evidenced by several players leaving the Kings and just straight up being better players (Carter, Martinez, Toffoli, etc), there's still probably some real value there. Especially when Quick is on, man, he's just such a game changer.

I just don't know what "fair" looks like if LA is retaining 50% on a deal and taking back salary.

Koskinen + 1st +2nd 2023 for Quick 33% retained

Reactions: KingTech

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Edmonton is interested.

To Edmonton - Quick w/ $1.5 M retention (4.3 M cap hit I believe)
To LA - Koskinen, 1st round pick in 2022 draft

Money is basically even for the rest of the year. Koskinen is gone in the summer and has been playing reasonably well. Not sure if the 1st rounder is interesting to LA given their strong prospect pool and Petersen struggling. Thoughts Kings fans?

On one hand it's fair value imo but on the other, I can't imagine the Kings would be interested in a late 1st given the prospect pool. Ideally they'd get a good young player/prospect back either in addition or in substitute but that might be too much, too.

Edit: didn't see the followup with the extra pick, I'd probably be good with that.

I'll admit that I haven't watched him this year but is he really "back". Just looking at stats here. He's had good stretches the last few years but his overall numbers haven't been great. We are at an 11 game sample size and he gave up 6 goals on 38 shots tonight.

With 1.75yrs left that's a big gamble to take.

Ah yes lock it up folks, his value's gone, he had a bad game on paper tonight.

His overall numbers haven't been great because his team has been shit, though yes to be fair the last couple of years he's been on and off. See: Gibson, John. Quick is back in a big way. If you want a big game goalie via trade, he's gotta be the guy.

Reactions: kinghock

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start thinking about the future in goal for the Kings.

Quicks is 42 and Cal Peterson definitely isn't the answer.

It's too bad we don't have that Jack Campbell guy just entering the prime of his career.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
Blake has said the cup vets will only be traded if they want out. They have earned the right to end their contracts as a king if they want to do so.

Show me the quote. They've already traded away cup vets Muzzin, Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Clifford, Carter...

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Show me the quote. They've already traded away cup vets Muzzin, Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Clifford, Carter...

This was mentioned by Blake in a video comment after the Muzzin, Toffoli, Martinez trades but before Carter. The cup vets reference was regarding Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, and Carter. The going thought was Carter wanted another kick at the can of winning a cup so that's why he was traded.

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
This was mentioned by Blake in a video comment after the Muzzin, Toffoli, Martinez trades but before Carter. The cup vets reference was regarding Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, and Carter. The going thought was Carter wanted another kick at the can of winning a cup so that's why he was traded.

Ok I don't doubt you but, I wouldn't be surprised if those guys wouldn't want another kick at the cup. It most likely ain't gonna happen for Quick, Kopitar or Brown in LA. I'd hate to see those guys in a different uniform but if it speeds up the rebuild, I'm in.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Edmonton is interested.

Money is basically even for the rest of the year. Koskinen is gone in the summer and has been playing reasonably well. Not sure if the 1st rounder is interesting to LA given their strong prospect pool and Petersen struggling. Thoughts Kings fans?

any chance of switching the pick for Broberg? If so I would be all over this. Would even add more retention or a mid level prospect.

Cannot see Smith and Quick on the same team.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
People are inconsistent on this board. Price at 50% and people won’t take the contract, but suddenly Quick comes back from the dead after 5 years for 11 games and he is worth a first?

MTL needs a rebuild and Price is a MUCH better goalie. If the money can be made to work then do that.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
People are inconsistent on this board. Price at 50% and people won’t take the contract, but suddenly Quick comes back from the dead after 5 years for 11 games and he is worth a first?

MTL needs a rebuild and Price is a MUCH better goalie. If the money can be made to work then do that.

Not sure if serious.
They are similar goalies
Quick has 2 years contract left 5 mill each.
Price has 4 million years of contract left with 10 million each.

Do you see any difference?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure if serious.
They are similar goalies

one team is heading into a rebuild and the other is coming out of one. The idea in the Price discussions was major retention for a quality return. He is younger, just plain better and the oilers have been a black hole in net for 15 years. They do not have concerns about older goalies and Price is the best available.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Not sure if serious.
They are similar goalies

anyone see the diff between price and quick right now? ones ones ones on a hit streak and the other, when healthy, it a game changer.

yeah,,, both their contracts suck... who'd ya rather have in the nets in the playoffs tomorrow

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
anyone see the diff between price and quick right now? ones ones ones on a hit streak and the other, when healthy, it a game changer.

yeah,,, both their contracts suck... who'd ya rather have in the nets in the playoffs tomorrow

The one with two Cups, a Conn Smythe with a record save % for a winning goaltender, and a history of 'big money' clutch performance for two years fewer and half the money.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The Kings have players of a similar ilk to MTL. I will wash Doughty and Weber and MTL doesn’t have a Kopitar and yet they make it to the finals? Why do you think that is?
Did you just start watching hockey last season? Quicks won twice. When the chips are down you go with Quick end of story no custer shit

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton is interested.

I want no part of Quick next season at $4.3 million at 36 and giving a 1st to do so, that's horrid.

Reactions: Ciao and Crazy8oooo

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The Kings have players of a similar ilk to MTL. I will wash Doughty and Weber and MTL doesn’t have a Kopitar and yet they make it to the finals? Why do you think that is?

May i ask where they are now after their Cinderella run?
One of the Canadian teams had to make it that far just by the setup of the playoff format.
It happens from time to time that a team has a lucky run until they have to defeat a real men team more than 1 time

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
May i ask where they are now after their Cinderella run?
One of the Canadian teams had to make it that far just by the setup of the playoff format.
It happens from time to time that a team has a lucky run until they have to defeat a real men team more than 1 time
Do you mean where are they now after not having Price in net for them all year?

Reactions: Ciao and Crazy8oooo

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do you mean where are they now after not having Price in net for them all year?

Was last year Price's rookie year?

This consistently dishonest rhetoric is yawn-worthy.

Both have been on good and bad teams and the biggest differences between the two are contract, country of origin, and exposure of franchise...and that if you have to bet big on one of the guys to drag you all the way, Quick is the ONLY bet.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad