Prospect Info: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It was widely reported that he was going to be a cap casualty, and that the only way that they were going to be able to trade him was if salary retention was made available; which this group didn't want to do.

They gave his agent permission to talk to other teams to seek a trade as they couldn't find a dance partner, and couldn't find a package that they were happy with. If someone offered a first or any prospect of relevance they would have made the deal.

This is not new information PoM.
Agreed that they wouldn’t have got a lot for him during the season..I know they used the agent to ask around ..but I don’t recall the Canucks willing to give him away for free.

Boeser never requested a trade, and by the end of last season,all sides had rescinded the idea of trading him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I agree it's a weird topic for this thread. Happy to take it over to another one if you'd like. But to respond to your post, I'm not comfortable with the risk profile of taking on 2 contracts that pay long term and high AAV to players into their mid- to late-30's. Having JT Miller on the books is risk enough for me. What's more, you and I probably have different takes on what it might take for this team to win the Cup. To me, the team is okay offensively. Enough so that we don't have to take a big swing on an aging winger. I'd prefer instead to splurge on defense and quality 3rd line forwards. With my plan, I concede that you might take a hit by having an odd-duck fit like Suter or Mikheyev type forward playing in your top 6 but I think the penalty would be minimal because our top 6 is strong enough to sustain it and keep producing regardless. Just a matter of opinion as to how best to allocate a finite resource that is cap space, which forces warts onto even contender-level teams.

I respect the take, and truth be told, I was right there with you on this build path previous to this team expediting matters (started with the Hronek deal).

It's actually fortuitous that we can engage on this after the COL game... That's a team with elite offense at the top. The degree of difference between the respective top6 sets is apparent. And so, if it is unlikely to make up that difference via depth, you're at a constant disadvantage. This would then be the impetus to make improvements at the top first (if you can).

The Miller timeline, imo, also means a great deal more than I think fans are ready to admit.

In any case, barring a young top6 forward via trade, VAN faces a tough decision in FA. Go for it like VGK just did with the Hertl trade (likely due to Stone's compete window), or plan for a longer window beyond Miller's top effectiveness here.

If Dhaliwal is right and Lekkerimaki wasn't coming to North America until he knew whether he'd be on the WC team, I'd rather he play some playoff games.

WC means more to swedes. Any country representation seems to, until they come to the NHL.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
You're having to use very precise language to make your argument, which is not a good sign for your argument. The counter-pedabtic argument is that Boeser has paced 30+ goals in 5 of 8 seasons with a career average of 30.75 goals per 82 games. Is a 464 game sample size sufficient to call him a 30 goal scorer? Yes, yes it is.
Lol I did the math as well after reading that post.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Feb 20, 2013
All tied 0-0 after 40 in Lulea. Orebro with 4 more minutes to kill off on a major that was assessed to their cage-wearing 18 year old rookie Melvin Fernstrom (a likely 2-3rd round pick in the upcoming draft) for a weird sort of slew-foot on Lulea defender Jesper Sellgren. Strange to see a rookie ragdoll a 25 year old player, but Fernstrom is a strong kid.

Orebro has taken lots of penalties which has limited Lekkerimaki's ice-time to just over 9 minutes but he has 2 of Orebro's 7 shots so far. A tight checking game overall. Orebro has not had a powerplay yet, but I would expect one to balance things out at some point.

Reactions: Lindgren

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Starting to wonder if people want Lekkerimacki here now or watch him play in the World Hockey Championships.

I’m indifferent, I’m ok with either scenario and I think the Worlds would be great for his development but seeing him in Abby isn’t bad either and he gets acquitted here a little faster

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
both have pros and cons. I expect him to shoulder more on an impact playing in SHL playoffs so I prefer him to win today. but getting used to the physicality and quicker flow early is not a bad thing either.

Feb 20, 2013
All tied at 0-0 after 60. Shots are 33-12 in favour of Lulea. Orebro had 2 powerplays in the third but didn't generate much. They are employing a 1-3-1 with Lekkerimaki as the slot option (sort of like Boeser or Horvat in that postion), which I don't like at all since it means he is static and in the centre of the defensive box. He is both their best shooter and best passer, and can score from long-range so he looks much better playing on the left half-wall (the Miller position) where he was earlier in the season to me.

On to OT.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

Feb 20, 2013
Orebro generated so little in that game and in the series in general. They only scored 2 goals in 3 games. Lekkerimaki was their best player offensively, but was only decent overall. He had incredibly little help on his line. All 4 of his shots today (Orebro only had 16 total) were him creating his own space off the rush to get the shot away. He also had a couple decent missed shots. Of those, none were as a result of his linemates setting finding him in-zone, which is frankly ridiculously poor.

In sum: don't read too much into the 1A in 3 games. He was Orebro's best offensive player throughout the series, but they were over-matched and produced almost nothing offensively.

A successful season for him overall and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
To me, he has already accomplished enough
Now, the priority should be to recover, begin off-season training as soon as possible, and work on becoming stronger and faster (albeit he does have a decent gear already). Getting stronger is the key focus moving forward

Reactions: Lindgren

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
To me, he has already accomplished enough
Now, the priority should be to recover, begin off-season training as soon as possible, and work on becoming stronger and faster (albeit he does have a decent gear already). Getting stronger is the key focus moving forward
As much as it would be cool to see him in the AHL this season I agree that rest and strength training are likely to be of more benefit to his game next season.

Reactions: arttk

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Lekkerimaki siting for 6 months is not good. I expect him to be here in NA or if he gets the go, play in the world championships

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Lekkerimaki siting for 6 months is not good. I expect him to be here in NA or if he gets the go, play in the world championships
Alvin noted in a recent interview that the Swedish world championship head coach reached out to him about Lekerimmaki, and that the previous plan was for him to be assigned to Abbotsford. Reading between the lines, if Lerimakki isn't assigned to Abbotsford in the coming days or week, then it is highly probable that Alvin knows he will be named to the Swedish team.

Reactions: Red and MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad