Value of: Jonathan Kovacevic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd say the Canucks should be poking around, interested...but i'm not really sure what sort of pick you get for a guy who effectively played his way out of the lineup in Detroit, and now seems to have fallen pretty firmly at the bottom of the pecking order for the Habs defence competition.

Rather just wait and see if he shakes loose on waivers. Where i'd still take a flyer. I still liked him, but he's very much not trending in the right direction, to give up even a late round pick for.
Take him for a contract and a pick, or pick him off waivers and add a contract ? With the 50 contract limit, this isn't inconsequential.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Take him for a contract and a pick, or pick him off waivers and add a contract ? With the 50 contract limit, this isn't inconsequential.

Definitely an interesting aspect to it. I'm not sure what contract the Canucks would actually be looking to dump though. I think they probably want most of what they have on the books (other than the obvious big dollar ones that aren't relevant here).

Jack Rathbone is probably the one contract they'd like to get out of. He's just completely run his course with the organization i think. Still don't really like the idea of sending yet another pick out the door, for a waiver fringe guy like Lindstrom though. Even if unloading a contract slot in the process.

There's also Poolman's perma-LTIR contract. Not even fully sure how that'd work, but there would be some potential benefit to not having to operate in LTIR cushion land if he were moved. And the Habs are obviously already at least waist deep in LTIR no matter what they do, with the Pricey contract on LTIRetirement. That'd be interesting to examine, for someone who is a lot better with day-to-day cap nuance than i.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Jets D ranking 22/23 season 10th. Habs D ranking 22/23 season 29th. This explains why he was waived. If he ever plays on a top 10 D I would be shocked. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Kulak came to Montreal with around 80 career NHL games for two AHLers. He was traded 4 years and ~200ish games later for a 2nd round pick. Kovacevk currently has around 80 career games, and if he stays healthy and plays at the current level he'll pick up around 150 games by next trade deadline. I think next trade deadline the ask could be a late second, similar to Kulak. I think that Kovacevik actually brings more to the table than Kulak (provided his play stays similar or better than the last 80 games), because he produces slightly less, but also has better size and better defense. If you tried to trade him now, I don't think he'd get a 2nd, because there isn't enough of a track record at the NHL level.

Reactions: malcb33

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
why would we move him? age-wise he's a perfect fit for our young core and he's a good cost controlled RHD, he'll grow with the team

Reactions: hn777

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Jets D ranking 22/23 season 10th. Habs D ranking 22/23 season 29th. This explains why he was waived. If he ever plays on a top 10 D I would be shocked. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
They were playing with 5 rookies defenceman last year for many games, of course they will allowed many goals.

Rubbishtrap

Jul 14, 2022
He had a great camp he was our 2nd best defenseman behind Guhle. (Matheson didn't play = injured) He's for sure going to start in the top 4 so no point in trading him now, if he can hang in the top 4 he'll be worth a lot more.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Wouldn’t the D ranking that into account the entire team/goalies and not just the D Technical the #6 th D on the 29th could still be better than the #6th D on the 10th team or the 7th on the 10th team could be team than all the #6 on the team bellow. Kovacevic broke out and he proved he was a NHL D and he seem to look even better this year. There plenty of playoff team that will look to add depth or insurance on D (most top team are very top heavy) and there plenty of team with very little cap space. Kovacevic has Size, smart and very cheap contract that will be all thing that team loading up will be looking for at the deadline like you said in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Honestly he might not even be the odd man out if MTL they might move a Dman Savard, Barron or Harris could be move of if they have more trade value.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I wonder if his value has changed at all cause if so id love for the Canucks to take a swing if he can be had for the right price.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if his value has changed at all cause if so id love for the Canucks to take a swing if he can be had for the right price.
Meh. I think his value will mostly change depending on Reinbacher, Lindstrom and Savard's: if management intends to move Savard at the deadline, it's very hard to move Kovasevic. If management expects to get Reinbacher signed, then maybe a trade of another RD is more likely....

I don't expect he'll fetch anything of great value, it's more a question of whether or not he's available, if he is, he'll fetch a 3d or a middling prospect. That being said, in a tight cap world, I still think the best part of his value comes from his contract more than his play, and he might well fetch a surprising return just because he'll be a rare commodity (an affordable RD).

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Meh. I think his value will mostly change depending on Reinbacher, Lindstrom and Savard's: if management intends to move Savard at the deadline, it's very hard to move Kovasevic. If management expects to get Reinbacher signed, then maybe a trade of another RD is more likely....

I don't expect he'll fetch anything of great value, it's more a question of whether or not he's available, if he is, he'll fetch a 3d or a middling prospect. That being said, in a tight cap world, I still think the best part of his value comes from his contract more than his play, and he might well fetch a surprising return just because he'll be a rare commodity (an affordable RD).
I mean it doesn't seem like the Habs are making a push this year they may as well trade him during the TDL they could probably start a bidding war and get a 3rd. For the Canucks it's something I'm willing to at least poke around and see the price especially due to the fact the contract has a bit of term.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I mean it doesn't seem like the Habs are making a push this year they may as well trade him during the TDL they could probably start a bidding war and get a 3rd. For the Canucks it's something I'm willing to at least poke around and see the price especially due to the fact the contract has a bit of term.
For sure, they aren't making a push. That doesn't mean they'll sell off anyone who might fetch a 3d. The team still has to ice an NHL lineup with 3RD. Assuming they want to keep Mailloux in the AHL, that means 3 of Savard, Kovasevic, Lindstrom and Barron have to be around, and healthy, after the deadline.

To phrase it differently: the price for Kovasevic might be an apparently unreasonable one if it means the Habs can't move Savard (who'd fetch a larger return), and have to wonder if they'll be able to next year (injuries, etc.).

EDIT: but if they know for sure Savard ain't going anywhere, then suddenly a 3d rounder might make sense. I still think they'd rather add an actual player if only to avoid seeming to rent off a part of the group for magic beans.

Reactions: TS Quint and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For sure, they aren't making a push. That doesn't mean they'll sell off anyone who might fetch a 3d. The team still has to ice an NHL lineup with 3RD. Assuming they want to keep Mailloux in the AHL, that means 3 of Savard, Kovasevic, Lindstrom and Barron have to be around, and healthy, after the deadline.

To phrase it differently: the price for Kovasevic might be an apparently unreasonable one if it means the Habs can't move Savard (who'd fetch a larger return), and have to wonder if they'll be able to next year (injuries, etc.).

EDIT: but if they know for sure Savard ain't going anywhere, then suddenly a 3d rounder might make sense. I still think they'd rather add an actual player if only to avoid seeming to rent off a part of the group for magic beans.

I'm not entirely convinced Savard would fetch a larger return but he's almost assuredly the one they'd be more interested in moving out.

Reactions: hn777 and loadie

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The guy is so damn solid and useful for the Habs, cannot imagine them letting him go. You need big bodies outthere on D to provide a ton of minute and be physical. He has a good first pass as well. Barron and Harris are so soft. Savard is getting old. And Ghule tend to get injured a lot. And we don't know what Mailloux might do in the big league. We need the one-two punch of Kova(left) and X Man(right).

Reactions: hn777 and viceroy

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
The guy is so damn solid and useful for the Habs, cannot imagine them letting him go. You need big bodies outthere on D to provide a ton of minute and be physical. He has a good first pass as well. Barron and Harris are so soft. Savard is getting old. And Ghule tend to get injured a lot. And we don't know what Mailloux might do in the big league. We need the one-two punch of Kova(left) and X Man(right).
Other way around: Kovacevic plays rd3 behind Savard and barron. He is out if Mailloux plays.
Arber is ld3. Behind Guhle and Matheson. Struble, Harris and Hutson are threats to him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs get more value with Kova in the lineup than a 3rd round pick.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Other way around: Kovacevic plays rd3 behind Savard and barron. He is out if Mailloux plays.
Arber is ld3. Behind Guhle and Matheson. Struble, Harris and Hutson are threats to him.

I'm saying Kova and X Man would be the third pairing. With Mailloux in, maybe we would not need Barron. On the left it's gonna be crowded so we can trade Harris.

It's important that our D be hard to play against. I want to keep Savard and Kova for next year. And we could have Barron and Maillioux fighting for the offensive D role on the right. On the left, I'm trading Harris for sure. There's gonna be so many guys next year on the left side.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
I think they will keep both Savard & Kovy this deadline.
And since they will want to part with Savard at next year's, when he will be a pending UFA, Kovy will be needed to be the 3rd RD even more then. They might even sign him to a new contract. He might even have to eat tougher minutes to shelter Reinbacher.
I also think Mailloux will take some time because of those missed years.
After next deadline, Barron, Reinbacher and Kovy.
That is still thin until Mailloux makes it, and they all develop.
It will be healthy for Reinbacher & Mailloux to have to steal Kovacevic's job. (And Barron's)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad