Value of: Jonathan Kovacevic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
In a vacuum probably worth a 5th or 6th. Because of lack of capspace league wide probably would want a 3rd. He is better than most players making basically league minimum

The only way he would be worth a 5th or 6th is if the alternative was putting him on waivers, which the Habs would never do. I think his value is probably a 3rd but the Habs don't need to trade him nor should they. He just played his first full season last year and is a late bloomer with room to improve his value in the next season or two with more NHL experience.

Reactions: viceroy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Don't see why he'd return less than Kulak a few years ago, he's not quite as good but cheaper and plays the right side. He's a good player, probably never more than a #5 but he's dependable. Would trade him for some short term bad money if it came along with a 1st, otherwise I think Montreal is better to just hang on to him than collect more 3rd + 4th rounders.

Reactions: MXD

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I meant coming up through the pipeline so there might be an opportunity to get some assets rather than buying out Savard.

Its not likely that the asset a 4-6/bottom pair D would net means all that much for Montreal given their prospect depth. They also don't need to buy out Savard, Montreal isn't positioned to start spending until the 2025 offseason anyways. It would have to be at least a 3rd for Montreal to pick up the phone since they already have more than enough mid to late picks and depth prospects.

Reactions: viceroy

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I still can’t believe we waived Kovacevic to save Kuhlman and/or Capobianco. Incredibly short-sighted move by Chevy.
I never understand too. When you look at his 3 last years in the AHL. This is want you expect from any prospect. He had better poduction and his ratio +/- improved years after year.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Sounds like he may be worth a later round pick. 5th or 6th rounder to a team who needs some depth
keep dreaming. He's actually been great this preseason. terrific PKer, has size, high hockey IQ and has gotten better. There's 0 reason to move a guy on his cap hit. He's fine in bottom 4 to 6 and they'll move on from a guy like Savard in a year or so. They might even be enticed to move Barron if Norlinder continues to improve.
Habs are stacked on D but Kovacevic is not the guy they'll move right now

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I meant coming up through the pipeline so there might be an opportunity to get some assets rather than buying out Savard.
what assets? habs have like 25 picks in the next two drafts. They don't need any more 3rds or beyond. Maybe a 2nd entices Hughes, but I suspect he's not available

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I wouldn't move him for anything less than a 2nd right now. A 3rd rounder is probably what's fair, but moving him for a 3rd in October when he's signed for this year and next at 766k doesn't really make sense for Montreal.

He's just a good stable RD to have around with so many young LD on the roster. If they decide not to extend him they can probably get at least a 4th-5th at the 2025 deadline anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He's really solid , we were surprised as well when we realised he can be a regular NHLer. Jets have always been size queens too so it was a bit puzzling
Jets unfortunately are in a numbers game with too many NHL D. Likely waiving Logan Stanley next.

Right or wrong, they have Morrissey / DeMelo/Dillon/Pionk/Schmidt and then a group of young D vying for the last spot.

Samberg won out last year. Heinola is making a case this year. Chisholm has tons of potential. And Capobianco (a free agent signing) has also done well in stints. Made Kovacevic a waiver guy. Had Gawanke refuse to sign. Now they probably waive Stanley.

Sometimes good players clear waivers. Sometimes guys get claimed and earn a spot on a lesser team.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Jets unfortunately are in a numbers game with too many NHL D. Likely waiving Logan Stanley next.

Right or wrong, they have Morrissey / DeMelo/Dillon/Pionk/Schmidt and then a group of young D vying for the last spot.

Samberg won out last year. Heinola is making a case this year. Chisholm has tons of potential. And Capobianco (a free agent signing) has also done well in stints. Made Kovacevic a waiver guy. Had Gawanke refuse to sign. Now they probably waive Stanley.

Sometimes good players clear waivers. Sometimes guys get claimed and earn a spot on a lesser team.
It was very similar to the Byron waive that Winnipeg thought they'd sneak him down and call him up later when injuries occured. Habs had an injured blue line much like when Kassian got himself DUI'd leading to Byron. We had no expectations and he's kind of played his way into a permanent bottom pairing spot.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
keep dreaming. He's actually been great this preseason. terrific PKer, has size, high hockey IQ and has gotten better. There's 0 reason to move a guy on his cap hit. He's fine in bottom 4 to 6 and they'll move on from a guy like Savard in a year or so. They might even be enticed to move Barron if Norlinder continues to improve.
Habs are stacked on D but Kovacevic is not the guy they'll move right now
So i guess this thread is moot considering they're not moving him

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

We are going to waive Logan Stan or chis and a year later Mtl will get a 2nd or 3rd for him. They are just great turning trash into something decent.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like there'd be more reason to move Lindstrom or something? Why the Habs would move a reasonably young, cost-controlled RHD for a pick or futures, just seems like getting back on the treadmill, waiting for another pick to develop. They got some "found money" scooping him up...i don't see why they wouldn't just keep him. At least, until the point where other up and coming prospects force him out...if that ever really happens. Might just be a long-term 3rd pairing RHD fixture for them. :dunno:

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It was very similar to the Byron waive that Winnipeg thought they'd sneak him down and call him up later when injuries occured. Habs had an injured blue line much like when Kassian got himself DUI'd leading to Byron. We had no expectations and he's kind of played his way into a permanent bottom pairing spot.
Waivers is a mix of luck and timing. Good on the Habs for claiming him and better on Kovacevic for earning his place in the NHL. Better players have been waived and gone unclaimed. Daniel Briere is a great example.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Seems like there'd be more reason to move Lindstrom or something? Why the Habs would move a reasonably young, cost-controlled RHD for a pick or futures, just seems like getting back on the treadmill, waiting for another pick to develop. They got some "found money" scooping him up...i don't see why they wouldn't just keep him. At least, until the point where other up and coming prospects force him out...if that ever really happens. Might just be a long-term 3rd pairing RHD fixture for them. :dunno:
Montreal right now has
Matheson , Savard , Guhle , Harris , Barron , Kovacevic , Xhekaj , Lindstrom and Wideman (LITR probably)

and we have Norlinder and Mailloux who could be called up this season.

Habs could move Lindstrom for a pick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Montreal right now has
Matheson , Savard , Guhle , Harris , Barron , Kovacevic , Xhekaj , Lindstrom and Wideman (LITR probably)

and we have Norlinder and Mailloux who could be called up this season.

Habs could move Lindstrom for a pick

I'd say the Canucks should be poking around, interested...but i'm not really sure what sort of pick you get for a guy who effectively played his way out of the lineup in Detroit, and now seems to have fallen pretty firmly at the bottom of the pecking order for the Habs defence competition.

Rather just wait and see if he shakes loose on waivers. Where i'd still take a flyer. I still liked him, but he's very much not trending in the right direction, to give up even a late round pick for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad