Value of: Jonathan Kovacevic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Johnathan Kovacevic's salary is $775,000 and his cap hit is $766,667 for the 2023-24 season. He is a 26 year old defense who was born on Jul. 12, 1997. He was drafted 74th overall by the Winnipeg Jets in the 3rd round of the 2017 entry draft. He has signed 3 contracts worth a total value of $4,900,000. Over a career that spans 2 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 15 Pts in 81 GP. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2024-25 season when he is 27 years old.(summary on capfriendly)

Also he's 6'4 208lbs again according to capfriendly

He is playing quality minutes for the Habs but you wonder what a contending team would be willing to give up for a cost controlled defenseman.

Considering they have Barron, Mailoux, Reinbacher, and Hutson in the pipeline. The Habs may be able to afford to let him go especially if the price is worth it but what would that price be?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's a decent 3rd pairing defenseman.

Probably a 4th-5th if Montreal wanted to move him.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
This is a next year conversation, IMO. Mailloux needs at least 1 full season in the AHL and Reinbacher is playing this season in Switzerland.

The Habs have the market cornered on picks the next 2 drafts and a village of B-C type prospects. I don't think they would trade Johnny Kovy for another one at this point. The contract is too valuable. They are at the point where they need to package 4-5 assets together to get an A caliber asset and it's clear some of their young D's will be in that deal.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
In a vacuum probably worth a 5th or 6th. Because of lack of capspace league wide probably would want a 3rd. He is better than most players making basically league minimum
I'd argue he's better than a lot of guys making 2-3 times what he is. He's not fancy, but he has very good mobility and routinely makes a smart play.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Kulak went for a 2nd, same for Durzi, I think you d be looking at a similar price . Kulikov went for a 3rd and I d prefer to have Kovacevic than Kulikov right now to be frank.

Add to that that he has 2 more years at this great contract for a bottom 6 for any contender.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Johnathan Kovacevic's salary is $775,000 and his cap hit is $766,667 for the 2023-24 season. He is a 26 year old defense who was born on Jul. 12, 1997. He was drafted 74th overall by the Winnipeg Jets in the 3rd round of the 2017 entry draft. He has signed 3 contracts worth a total value of $4,900,000. Over a career that spans 2 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 15 Pts in 81 GP. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2024-25 season when he is 27 years old.(summary on capfriendly)

Also he's 6'4 208lbs again according to capfriendly

He is playing quality minutes for the Habs but you wonder what a contending team would be willing to give up for a cost controlled defenseman.

Considering they have Barron, Mailoux, Reinbacher, and Hutson in the pipeline. The Habs may be able to afford to let him go especially if the price is worth it but what would that price be?
Barron hasn't had a great camp. Mailloux is loaned to Laval, where he'll get a year of playing top 4 minutes. That's not a reflection of his play. He had a very strong camp. Reinbacher is back in Europe for the year. Hutson hasn't had a camp yet.

This isn't the time to consider it. In fact, I'd sooner play out the year, buyout Savard next summer, and keep Kovacevic.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think his value would scare off most other teams, he's playing like a top 4 now and his being cost controlled makes his value higher than expected.

I expect Montreal is more likely to move Barron than him, though. Kovacevic is perfect as a 3d pair behind high talent players, whereas Barron, Reinbacher and Mailloux are/will be all top 4 types if they work out.

This isn't the time to consider it. In fact, I'd sooner play out the year, buyout Savard next summer, and keep Kovacevic.
Buyout?!?

Reactions: viceroy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think his value would scare off most other teams, he's playing like a top 4 now and his being cost controlled makes his value higher than expected.

I expect Montreal is more likely to move Barron than him, though. Kovacevic is perfect as a 3d pair behind high talent players, whereas Barron, Reinbacher and Mailloux are/will be all top 4 types if they work out.

Buyout?!?
Guhle is carrying his water for him. The game is simply too fast for Savard on too many nights. Next year is the last year of his deal. Buy him out, as I don't see any takers, and move on.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Trade market is all the way f***ed up

No player making over 2.5 million is worth anything unless salary is going back the other way

A depth NHL player like Kovacevic, with size, playing a position of importance, at 750k for the next 2 full seasons, would take a very enticing offer to move on from in the current cap climate.

Hard to place a value on him because Montreal needs RHD this year, so they would want someone coming back in to replace him. Pure pick value I would think a 3rd just because of his contract, but I personally wouldn't take less than a 2nd because there is no need to move him just to rush prospects.

Reactions: viceroy and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Guhle is carrying his water for him. The game is simply too fast for Savard on too many nights. Next year is the last year of his deal. Buy him out, as I don't see any takers, and move on.
I expect at the 2025 deadline he'll be a highly prized asset. At the very least worth a 2nd or 3d.

Reactions: viceroy

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Barron hasn't had a great camp. Mailloux is loaned to Laval, where he'll get a year of playing top 4 minutes. That's not a reflection of his play. He had a very strong camp. Reinbacher is back in Europe for the year. Hutson hasn't had a camp yet.

I meant coming up through the pipeline so there might be an opportunity to get some assets rather than buying out Savard.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's got a better pass than I thought he would. I figured that would be trash and was bias towards him and his ability to pass, but it's solid.

Obviously it isn't like Karlsson, but for a bottom pairing dman it's pretty good.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
this guy is a really solid player. great option for your third pair. underrated imo.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I meant coming up through the pipeline so there might be an opportunity to get some assets rather than buying out Savard.
Just not the right time.

I expect at the 2025 deadline he'll be a highly prized asset. At the very least worth a 2nd or 3d.
Given how Edmundson's value plummeted, albeit due to significant injury issues, I don't think we can bank on Savard having that sort of value in 18 months. When healthy, Edmundson is the better player imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad