Value of: Jonathan Drouin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is zero chance you'd land a player like Yamamoto for Drouin. Look at their stats last year and then look at their contracts. Stop being a child.

I would certainly trade for Drouin because I think he has value even at $5.5 Million AAV. I wouldn't give up the store to get him though.

Habs will be patient yet with Drouin. I think this roster is the best situation for Drouin and he is heading into prime years now. He has shown flashes of his potential but has not put it all together in one full season yet. His soft style on wing won't change but he can be a good PP asset with his vision and play making skills and if he has a stable spot with a legit top 2C.

We will see. This value thread on Drouin is not worth it IMO. Habs are not going to give up on him right before prime years. Other Habs fans want to get rid of him but probably the same ones that wanted to get rid of Patch too. We always have someone we are throwing under the bus. Even Gallagher was thrown under the bus a few seasons ago when he was dealing with his wrist injuries.

Drouin at $5.5M is not horrible. The issue is he's not playing to his potential and it's frustrating

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Drouin is a top 6 forward producing like a top 6 forward being paid like a top 6 forward.

We can debate the softer things like who he was traded for and his untapped potential but as far as I am concerned, the urgency from Habs fans to get rid of him is misplaced because they look at what he isn't rather than what he is.

His skill set is valuable in a Habs-forwards group that is geared more towards hard-working meat & potatoes-players.

Reactions: qqaz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right now A guy’s contract is even more than ever attached to his trade value. I think taking into account Drouin’s contract, and balancing that with what he provides offensively (and if he’s not scoring he does little else to help his team win; some would say he’s actually a liability) his value is negative. If traded it would be for a player with a similar contract, who also has this kind of negative value, but can still contribute.

How about we look at what Drouin can do when he is at his best? People act like he has negative value? I think we are dwelling on his soft style on wing and overlooking some of the good things he can do. Context is important. Drouin clearly needs to play with a talented center in a stable spot which has not had with both Tampa and the Habs. At $5.5M, Drouin is not negative value. I think people are trying to double down on his soft style on wing. It's an issue yes but look at this guys vision when het gets to play with a talented center like Suzuki

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin is a top 6 forward producing like a top 6 forward being paid like a top 6 forward.

We can debate the softer things like who he was traded for and his untapped potential but as far as I am concerned, the urgency from Habs fans to get rid of him is misplaced because they look at what he isn't rather than what he is.

His skill set is valuable in a Habs-forwards group that is geared more towards hard-working meat & potatoes-players.

100%! Habs need Drouin in the line-up and on our PP. The biggest issue with Drouin (and Domi) was the Habs were not able to find them stable spots cause we had flaws within our forward group while Danault got Tatar and Gallagher. Rest of them were bounced all over the place

Too much focus on negatives IMO. His soft style can annoy you for sure but he has skill and he is entering prime years. He's late on the maturity scale and he had a solid playoffs with Suzuki. Look at the video in post 378... just some examples of what he can do when talent plays with talent.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Habs will be patient yet with Drouin. I think this roster is the best situation for Drouin and he is heading into prime years now. He has shown flashes of his potential but has not put it all together in one full season yet. His soft style on wing won't change but he can be a good PP asset with his vision and play making skills and if he has a stable spot with a legit top 2C.

We will see. This value thread on Drouin is not worth it IMO. Habs are not going to give up on him right before prime years. Other Habs fans want to get rid of him but probably the same ones that wanted to get rid of Patch too. We always have someone we are throwing under the bus. Even Gallagher was thrown under the bus a few seasons ago when he was dealing with his wrist injuries.

Drouin at $5.5M is not horrible. The issue is he's not playing to his potential and it's frustrating

From what I can find Drouin is leaving his prime scoring years. I don’t feel he is suddenly going to become much better defensively.
ppgvage.jpg

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
How about we look at what Drouin can do when he is at his best? People act like he has negative value? I think we are dwelling on his soft style on wing and overlooking some of the good things he can do. Context is important. Drouin clearly needs to play with a talented center in a stable spot which has not had with both Tampa and the Habs. At $5.5M, Drouin is not negative value. I think people are trying to double down on his soft style on wing. It's an issue yes but look at this guys vision when het gets to play with a talented center like Suzuki

As someone who followed a lot of Domi for Laine threads you are very far off from what a huge group of very vocal fans think about Domi who played with Drouin 42% of the time last year and 56% of the time the year before. Domi is seen by that group as a very good 70 point 2C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From what I can find Drouin is leaving his prime scoring years. I don’t feel he is suddenly going to become much better defensively.
ppgvage.jpg

Better defensively? He is a winger and wingers don't have to do that much along he walls. I think he is who he is in terms of being a soft winger but there are many like him in the NHL! Others like him played with way better centers too!

Leaving his prime years? What? Elite level talent have prime years from 20-30. Guys like Drouin are 25-30 (+/-). Only the elite level ones have longer prime years. Most have their best years from 25-30.

The question here is can he become a 60 pts winger with a more stable spot with a legit top 2C. I'm not expecting him to be better defensively lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As someone who followed a lot of Domi for Laine threads you are very far off from what a huge group of very vocal fans think about Domi who played with Drouin 42% of the time last year and 56% of the time the year before. Domi is seen by that group as a very good 70 point 2C.

You should drop the Domi/Laine narrative. Classic case of a difference of opinion and you got nothing to use but a flawed argument from the past. This BS causes post wars and I believe it's against the rules. For good reason too! Come up with something better

Both Drouin and Domi were bounced all over the place. I understand their usages more than what you can google on the internet. And in case you didn't notice, there are two different versions of Domi... 18/19 and 19/20. Night and day difference and Shaw is the difference. Domi and Shaw worked very well together and the stats prove it for an entire season. Drouin played with them for half a season and then fell off a cliff. We all know his inconsistency issues.

I don't care about your devalue narrative on Drouin. I'm fully aware of his flaws and I have spoken a lot about that. I actually talk about both pros and cons. You seem to focus on the cons.

Domi is not Suzuki at center bud

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Better defensively? He is a winger and wingers don't have to do that much along he walls. I think he is who he is in terms of being a soft winger but there are many like him in the NHL! Others like him played with way better centers too!

Leaving his prime years? What? Elite level talent have prime years from 20-30. Guys like Drouin are 25-30 (+/-). Only the elite level ones have longer prime years. Most have their best years from 25-30.

The question here is can he become a 60 pts winger with a more stable spot with a legit top 2C. I'm not expecting him to be better defensively lol
You can be good defensively and be a winger. But I didn’t say that, I said he probably won’t get better. But we can throw that out if you want because we seem to agree he won’t get better.

I wouldnt put elite and Drouin in the same sentence, that ridiculous. Show me something to back up your feeling about prime years.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Max i'd give up for this guy is a 3rd round pick. He makes 4-5 good plays in a season and floats the rest of the time.. not someone i'd want in my top 6

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Honestly although much of the hate on Drouin is well deserved , he seemed to have found a really strong fit with Suzuki. Hopefully they keep working on the chemistry where they become a really solid duo moving forward. (since imo NHL has always been about the duos)

This lineup could be really solid if everyone gels together :

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Toffoli - KK - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lekhonen

Guess we will see what happens!

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I really wish Drouin hadn't bulked up to try to play centre, that put him back in his development a lot. Hopefully we get Drouin from the start of the year who used his speed and made the simple plays.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Droiun 1.3m retained + 3rd pick for Niederreiter.

Habs get bigger, more physical, better defensive player with 1 year less on deal for possibly better offensive player with longer terms.

or Drouin 600k retained for Dzingle

Habs clear cap faster for a slight offensive downgrade.

(I'm guessing both teams say no just looking for a trade the Canes might consider)

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If we could put together a package for nurse . Drouin , 2021 2nd ( was whichever is higher , Montreal ‘s or Tampa’s, a 2021 third plus something else for nurse and a 2022 second . I’m not the biggest lover of nurse but a Defense of
Nurse Webber
Edmundson petry
Chariot Romanov

would almost make you feel like keeping the puck in your own end wouldn’t it ?

add reaves for kulak and a second and the bell center would become the hell center

I wish Klefbom didn’t get hurt . We may have been able to suck holland in for drouin and a couple draft picks thAt he wasted on anthiosou
Battling
Nurse Weber
Edmundson petry
Chariot Romanov

would have been a long nite for a lot of forwards
Edmonton is high as a kite on Nurse, they wouldn't, especially not Holland, trade him for Drouin regardless of picks available.

Chiasson is a cap dump and Larsson has the Taylor Hall stink on him

Try starting with Yamamoto

Talking about colored blinders.
Who was Yamamoto's center.?
Who was Drouin's center?
When Drouin was Yams age, who was he playing with in Tampa?
1 player is cheaper, younger and is a warrior, the other is overpaid, inconsistent and has noted attitude problems. A better way to describe it is would you trade 22 y/o Gallagher for another Drouin?

MTL is better just to keep him and hope he takes another step and builds chemistry with their young core.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can be good defensively and be a winger. But I didn’t say that, I said he probably won’t get better. But we can throw that out if you want because we seem to agree he won’t get better.

I wouldnt put elite and Drouin in the same sentence, that ridiculous. Show me something to back up your feeling about prime years.

* You seem focused on the negatives only.
* I said Drouin was not elite and has shorter prime years vs elite level players. Pretty sure you understand that
* Most players who are not elite level have prime years from 25-30. It's not linear to an exact span for all non elite level type players. You provide something that counters it first cause you said something along the lines of Drouin is existing his prime :laugh:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
* You seem focused on the negatives only.
* I said Drouin was not elite and has shorter prime years vs elite level players. Pretty sure you understand that
* Most players who are not elite level have prime years from 25-30. It's not linear to an exact span for all non elite level type players. You provide something that counters it first cause you said something along the lines of Drouin is existing his prime :laugh:
All I did was put facts to an opinion. I did provide a graph to your unsubstantiated opinion. The burden of proof is on you to show your opinions have merit, not the other way around.

Drouin is not an elite player, just stop.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All I did was put facts to an opinion. I did provide a graph to your unsubstantiated opinion. The burden of proof is on you to show your opinions have merit, not the other way around.

Drouin is not an elite player, just stop.

Are you flaming or are you not reading correctly? I'm not sure. I said Drouin is not an elite level player. Go read again. You owe me an apology ;)

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Nah... not with your style of conversation. Move on with your negative only focus.
It’s a fact based focus. Happy to hear some facts that dispute what I found. I have no joy or pain either way on Drouin. You seem to be in some pain with the facts presented which is a weird thing to do. You should be cheering the Habs not the player. Sure it would be good for the Habs if Drouin was good but pushing a false narrative doesn’t make the Habs any better.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Droiun 1.3m retained + 3rd pick for Niederreiter.

Habs get bigger, more physical, better defensive player with 1 year less on deal for possibly better offensive player with longer terms.

or Drouin 600k retained for Dzingle

Habs clear cap faster for a slight offensive downgrade.

(I'm guessing both teams say no just looking for a trade the Canes might consider)
Canes might consider it but the Habs wouldn't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jonathan Drouin seems like the kind of player you'd trade Max Domi for just to mix it up.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Edmonton is high as a kite on Nurse, they wouldn't, especially not Holland, trade him for Drouin regardless of picks available.

When Drouin was Yams age, who was he playing with in Tampa?
1 player is cheaper, younger and is a warrior, the other is overpaid, inconsistent and has noted attitude problems. A better way to describe it is would you trade 22 y/o Gallagher for another Drouin?

MTL is better just to keep him and hope he takes another step and builds chemistry with their young core.

You trying to compare Yamamoto to Gallagher is too funny. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad