Movies: Joker: Folie a Deux - October 4, 2024

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Word of mouth for this has been absymal and it's looking like it's going to be a huge bomb, anyone actually plan on seeing it? I'm going to wait until I can just watch from home.
I think I will go see it. They can't all be home runs, but I've got a monthly pass and want to support theatrical releases.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Why they went for a musical is something i'll never understand.

And then the bait and switch with Lady Gaga being a major focal point of the advertising only for her to barely show up apparently?

Who thought this was a good idea? Like I didn't think the first movie was a grand cinematic revelation like some people did, but it was entertaining enough.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not getting much positive buzz which I figured would happen...I liked the first one overall but add singing and turning a comic book movie into a musical just does not work for me. then again pretty much all musicals don't interest me.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
No one expects “Joker: Folie à Deux” to come close to the original’s $96 million opening (adjusted, closer to $110 million). Industry consensus is closer to $55 million-$60 million, but some sources suggest not even a $50 million opening is guaranteed.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I saw it and actually liked it. I say that as someone who absolutley loved the first.

It was a big a swing and I get why people see it as a miss. Philips was pretty open about not wanting to make a franchise about the crown prince of crime and that if he was gonna make a sequal he wanted it to be different so i went in with those expectations.

The ending disappinted a bit and it didnt have the satisfying comic nods of the first...but what I appreciated about it was it focused on the themes that were really relevent in the first film. The music stuff was weird but music and arthurs delusions were a huge part of the first film and thats basically what he explored in this one... so it didnt feel like a stretch to me.

I probably wont revisit this as much as the first but i did enjoy it.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Really wasn’t as bad I thought it would be considering the reception I been reading. The bad reviews seem like it’s more so fanboys having a “worst episode ever” tantrum. I’m not calling it a masterpiece either but I didn’t think the first one was like some people claim.

The musical theme didn’t bother me as much I thought it was going to. To me it was ok for what it was and not a film for everyone’s taste, which you could say the first one was as well but had a different taste to it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think they were out to play with expectations of what a sequel could be

Yeah, felt to me like a "you fans that idolize Arthur/Joker in the 1st movie clearly didnt get the point of the movie" to me, which I'm ok with. They definitely pushed back against the "sweet lets go cheer for the Joker to do Joker things" expectations and said no, we told you Arthur is a mental case and shouldn't be idolized and here's what you get.

Which I have to say I really enjoyed that. It was refreshing to get something fresh in a sequel rather than the standard superhero formula of "movie 1 you get the origin and a flash of powers, movie 2 you get all the superhero s***"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad