Value of: Johnny Gaudreau: UFA this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think it's safe to say that he very well could have a career year this year and could top 100 points. If he does, where do you think he signs this summer and on what kind of term? Do the Flames find a way to resign him? What would you offer him in the open market?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ya I could see NJ as well.
Could see Yzerman trying to land him and improve his offense and PP for just UFA money.
Make a trade for top 4D and DET becomes a legit playoff team.

But if CGY does push hard here and maybe challenge for division title, maybe lock up Tkachuk and trade for Eichel?
They could instantly become contenders again.
and BOA gets a ton of attention and renews the rivalry with tons of skill up front.

Ledge And Dairy

I think it's safe to say that he very well could have a career year this year and could top 100 points. If he does, where do you think he signs this summer and on what kind of term? Do the Flames find a way to resign him? What would you offer him in the open market?
He's been pretty open about wanting to stay, I think its more like he wanted to see how the team is doing first. Like if it was/is a repeat of last year then its completely understandable to want to look elsewhere. As it stands right now he's probably leaning towards an extension. No chance he's traded thligh unless Calgary completely faceplants here out

Reactions: Nanuuk

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
He's been pretty open about wanting to stay, I think its more like he wanted to see how the team is doing first. Like if it was/is a repeat of last year then its completely understandable to want to look elsewhere. As it stands right now he's probably leaning towards an extension. No chance he's traded thligh unless Calgary completely faceplants here out
if he gets to UFA, there's no way he stays IMO

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He is PPG winger. Not enough

The contract isn't paying him for what he did in his 20's...

He'll be 29 at the start of next season, so a 7 year deal would take him through his age 35 season

There aren't a lot of wingers in their mid 30's among the scoring leaders

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's generally not ideal to be signing players to big contracts as they're entering their 30's...

Depending what the offers are at the deadline, Calgary may be wise to move Gaudreau for picks/prospects, and maintain future cap flexibility

To Philly: Gaudreau

To Calgary: 2022 1st, Tuomaala, JVR... or maybe Foerster, JVR

Philly get an all-star calibre LW who should be eager to re-sign with the team

Calgary get a decent LW to help offset the loss of Gaudreau, plus a 2022 1st and speedy RW prospect in Tuomaala, or an offensive C prospect in Foerster

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
The contract isn't paying him for what he did in his 20's...

He'll be 29 at the start of next season, so a 7 year deal would take him through his age 35 season

There aren't a lot of wingers in their mid 30's among the scoring leaders

Yes. But is he your typical NHL winger? No.

He doesn't rely on physicality, like majority do. It's his explosive skating ability, and Gaudreau is actually very intelligent when we talk about avoiding contact. Always has been, otherwise he would be wrecked out of the league already. So I could bet his decline will not be same as the other wingers who hustle and get the regular beating.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Based on what? Landeskog stayed
because IMO there would be more than 1 east coast team that will make a bid for him, and iirc, he's stated a desire to play there

honestly, if Im CAL, I'd be seeing what re-signing him looks like. if it's unappealing then trade him and get at least something for him

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
8.5x8. Flames

68 million. Pay the man his money

Think the 8th year will play a big part. If Calgary is willing to give him that contract, I imagine he stays. If they try to get him to sign a 7-7.5 x 7-8 contract I imagine he tests out free agency. The big question is what Calgary does at the TDL if he's not signed.

Ledge And Dairy

because IMO there would be more than 1 east coast team that will make a bid for him, and iirc, he's stated a desire to play there

honestly, if Im CAL, I'd be seeing what re-signing him looks like. if it's unappealing then trade him and get at least something for him
Do you have proof he's stated a desire to play there? Every interview he's talked about the topic he's said hos desire to stay in Calgary.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Do you have proof he's stated a desire to play there? Every interview he's talked about the topic he's said hos desire to stay in Calgary.
there's several articles that all state something to the effect that "there's chatter/rumors that he wants to go east"

if it were just one, not much to it

several stating they've heard the same rumors? that's more of a 'where there's smoke there's prolly fire'

personally, I can see it both ways. it'd be cool for the Flames to be able to keep him and be the face of their franchise..etc..

I can also see him wanting to go home, sign with a team that might make a bigger splash in the playoffs...etc..

it's a tough one for sure

Ledge And Dairy

there's several articles that all state something to the effect that "there's chatter/rumors that he wants to go east"

if it were just one, not much to it

several stating they've heard the same rumors? that's more of a 'where there's smoke there's prolly fire'

personally, I can see it both ways. it'd be cool for the Flames to be able to keep him and be the face of their franchise..etc..

I can also see him wanting to go home, sign with a team that might make a bigger splash in the playoffs...etc..

it's a tough one for sure
But there isnt a single quote saying he does? Just speculation based entirely off where he is from

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The usual suspects are Philly, Jersey, Boston and Calgary.

But I'm gonna get funky and throw Dallas and Detroit into the mix.

Dallas has Pavelski, Radulov, Holtby, Raffl, Comeau and Sekera coming off the books, almost 20 mil plus a projected 1.2 rise.

Klingberg will get 7.5 of that 20+. Then there's Robertson and Gurianov, if you can get Johnny Goalsuck you choose which one to bridge for 4.5 and ship the other so you can offer him 9+.

Detroit has ass loads of cap space but also some RFA and UFA to re-sign, guys like Fabbri, Leddy and Zadina.

But if they pull Shane Wright? They'll have the cap space to offer eight figures and have Wright, Larkin, Veleno, Zadina, Raymond and Vrana to play with him up front.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
8M maximum, any more and they should trade him at the deadline unless the team is rolling and has a legit chance at a cup. Without an extension in place they should have traded him in the offseason before his trade protection kicked in. Overpaying a small winger on the back half of his career is a bad idea, let someone else jump off that bridge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad