In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Will Johnny Gaudreau’s family be paid out the rest of his contract? I gather that he’ll likely be off the salary cap due to his death, but surely that won’t be the end of the payments. Athletes have died still while playing in the past and having long term contracts. Is it standard procedure for an owner to still pay it out?
I believe these contracts are guaranteed, meaning his wife will continue to get the remaining amount of his contract

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Will Johnny Gaudreau’s family be paid out the rest of his contract? I gather that he’ll likely be off the salary cap due to his death, but surely that won’t be the end of the payments. Athletes have died still while playing in the past and having long term contracts. Is it standard procedure for an owner to still pay it out?
It's a bit complicated because the CBA and Player Contract don't explicitly spell out what happens in the event of a player's death while under contract except for the fact that the player's spouse may elect to continue the league health insurance for the rest of her life and that the deceased player's salary doesn't count against the club's Averaged Club Salary.

Teams are required to carry a group life insurance plan that pays $1 million in the event of death of a player. Teams are also required to carry Accidental Death Or Dismemberment insurance for the cost of one year of that player's salary.

Now, could a team try to get the contract terminated for something like failure to report or breach of contract by engaging in a dangerous activity/sport? Yes but that would be an extremely callous move that I don't think would be ultimately successful when challenged by the NHLPA.

Instead what is more likely is that the life insurance and accidental death insurance policies are paid out to the family and then the team (owner) continues to pay the remainder of the player's salary to that player's family while the salary does not count against the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989 and makdeniss

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a bit complicated because the CBA and Player Contract don't explicitly spell out what happens in the event of a player's death while under contract except for the fact that the player's spouse may elect to continue the league health insurance for the rest of her life and that the deceased player's salary doesn't count against the club's Averaged Club Salary.

Teams are required to carry a group life insurance plan that pays $1 million in the event of death of a player. Teams are also required to carry Accidental Death Or Dismemberment insurance for the cost of one year of that player's salary.

Now, could a team try to get the contract terminated for something like failure to report or breach of contract by engaging in a dangerous activity/sport? Yes but that would be an extremely callous move that I don't think would be ultimately successful when challenged by the NHLPA.

Instead what is more likely is that the life insurance and accidental death insurance policies are paid out to the family and then the team (owner) continues to pay the remainder of the player's salary to that player's family while the salary does not count against the cap.
This stuff gets into stuff that isn't really public knowledge outside player agents, whoever does the legal write-ups for the teams, etc.

My guess is outside of what is required by the league/NHLPA his family isn't paid out past that. But, any player who has a net worth like Gaudreau did would have significant life insurance policies as simple financial/estate planning by any half-decent financial advisor.

I believe most NHL contracts are insured by the team against injuries and potentially death. One's that aren't are quite rare. As a Blue Jacket's fan (referring to OP), a prominent example of one not being insured is Nathan Horton's, which is a major reason he was traded to the Leafs for David Clarkson, since the Leafs were fine with eating the salary if they could immediately IR him.

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I believe these contracts are guaranteed, meaning his wife will continue to get the remaining amount of his contract

unless it triggers a specific clause/insurance

as far as i know the contract basically ceases and spouses get a really small amount from the NHL/NHLPA

because the contract is not with anyone but johnny gaudreau, it's can be argued as effectively void though they could in theory pay into the estate... the contract is most definitely insured, too

i'm fairly sure signing bonuses must be paid out no matter what, and there's still $8-10 million left there so no matter what the family will be fine

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It helps people manage the discomfort of knowing that life can change to the negative in a second just by happenstance. That makes people feel vulnerable and so therefore they desperately want to find a reason or excuse for why something bad happened to someone else so as to make themselves somehow less vulnerable to the whims of bad luck. It’s disrespectful to those suffering but hey ho……let’s make them feel better by starting a list of things that nobody should do:

Drive a car.
Ride a bike.
Drink alcohol.
Walk or ride down a dark road at night.

If people want to live risk free lives and avoid being talked about as if “they should have known the risks” this list can be expanded to its full version. Probably about 2,000 lines long.

Thank you for saying this. You've shown more insight into the people who've been posting "don't ride at night, etc." than they themselves seem to have into their motivations. And you've certainly shown more empathy for them than I could muster yesterday.

This is an awful and random tragedy that's difficult to get your head around. Life is chaotic and often cruel. I can understand and empathize with someone even unconsciously trying to find a reason it happened. Especially so in these ensuing days they can feel like tragedy won't strike them or someone they love. "I wouldn't ride my bike on the shoulder of a narrow road so I'm safe."

I have to be honest, I had planned to go on a ride on a new route today, but one that put me in traffic more. I didn't. I stuck with the safest and most familiar ride I know. I'm sure I'll go on that ride in the future and continue to live my life and enjoy biking as safely as possible, but right now the tragedy was a little too fresh.

Again, great post and insight.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I sat outside on the porch for a little bit, just listening to the life around me. Then I went in, my GF got up and we sat with our dogs.
By and large, yesterday wasn't the best day. Every time I started to get frustrated, I thought about the Gaudreaus. In all, my frustrations were very light and greatly paled in comparison. Went on a walk with my wife around the time they were hit the night before and she and I discussed everything. Life is short, but very beautiful.

Last edited:

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Every time something like this (a drunk driver killing people) comes up, I always think of my friend way back when I was a teen. A mother of three who would still be alive, were it not for a multiple-time-convicted drunk driver with a suspended license running a red light. He never got convicted for that because of a technicality.

I hope the murderer of the Gaudreaus never sees the light of day again. I hope he doesn't get off like the murderer of my friend did.

But that's minor stuff. What matters is loss. A sister who expected her brothers to be the groomsmen at her wedding the very same day. A mother expecting her first child four months from now with her husband. A wife who will now be a widow with two young children who will barely remember their father. Two parents who were going to gain a son-in-law lose their two sons. Teammates from all across their lives lose two people who were like brothers to them. And, even if we may not think of them at first...a family who will have to cope with the fact that their husband and - in the kids' perspective - their father is a ginormous piece of shit and having to deal with that on a very personal level from people who are angry and coping in a way that solves nothing.

It's heartbreaking, and fate almighty, I feel for everyone who lost something to this selfish piece of filth of a drunk driver.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
unless it triggers a specific clause/insurance

as far as i know the contract basically ceases and spouses get a really small amount from the NHL/NHLPA

because the contract is not with anyone but johnny gaudreau, it's can be argued as effectively void though they could in theory pay into the estate... the contract is most definitely insured, too

i'm fairly sure signing bonuses must be paid out no matter what, and there's still $8-10 million left there so no matter what the family will be fine

As I understand it many sports league contracts of high value are insured, but teams often won't bother to insure lower salaried guys as it's all very expensive and not worth it unless it's bigtime money. I'm almost positive Gaudreau's relatively large contract would be insured to a significant amount, so the team's probably covered if the contract terms require them to continue paying to Gaudreau's estate. And at least in MLB I know there's been situations where guaranteed money has continued to go to the player's estate even after they pass away, but it may work differently in the NHL. These are all legal details that we're not privy to.

Regardless, between what he signed for that's owed, any additional life insurance he bought, along with his significant career earnings to date, it's all but certain that financially his wife and kids will be more than fine. Emotionally ... probably never.

Not so sure about Matthew's family though. He didn't have the career earnings or the same kind of guaranteed money coming in. One hopes that Johnny's wife will do what she can to look out for them too, but you just never know.

Reactions: CBJx614

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It's for his brother albeit you'd think they won't be left without regardless.
Yeah but it's also just not necessarily how a will works. It's inconvenient but there is no necessary guarantee that any of Johnny's estate is allocated towards his brother or his family.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah but it's also just not necessarily how a will works. It's inconvenient but there is no necessary guarantee that any of Johnny's estate is allocated towards his brother or his family.

Oh yeah, certainly. I was just speaking on a people level. Like I'd be surprised/it'd be weird if Matthew Gaudreau's widow/kids won't be taken care of by the rest of the family if need be.

Obviously we don't know the family dynamics and personalities involved but still.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Every time something like this (a drunk driver killing people) comes up, I always think of my friend way back when I was a teen. A mother of three who would still be alive, were it not for a multiple-time-convicted drunk driver with a suspended license running a red light. He never got convicted for that because of a technicality.

I hope the murderer of the Gaudreaus never sees the light of day again. I hope he doesn't get off like the murderer of my friend did.

But that's minor stuff. What matters is loss. A sister who expected her brothers to be the groomsmen at her wedding the very same day. A mother expecting her first child four months from now with her husband. A wife who will now be a widow with two young children who will barely remember their father. Two parents who were going to gain a son-in-law lose their two sons. Teammates from all across their lives lose two people who were like brothers to them. And, even if we may not think of them at first...a family who will have to cope with the fact that their husband and - in the kids' perspective - their father is a ginormous piece of shit and having to deal with that on a very personal level from people who are angry and coping in a way that solves nothing.

It's heartbreaking, and fate almighty, I feel for everyone who lost something to this selfish piece of filth of a drunk driver.
Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad